Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - set in Nazi occupied America

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That video kinda makes the devs seem psychopathic, even if they are talking about nazis. Especially the guy with glasses.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am hoping that the next Wolfenstein is in the present days,playing as a cryogenically frozen SS captain trying to restore the Aryan race and glorious reich while mowing down waves of liberal pissbuckets.This will be better than this repetitive thingy.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Hey, that was Doom 2 and Doom, and Doom 2 was still fucking awesome and NOT boring.
They have enough technology and know how to actually put good parameters on enemies in this game.
Obviously they chose not to for some reason.

Don Peste

Arcane
do you expect them making an RPGee Deus Ex type borefest?
Wolfenstein was a very refreshing FPS-RPG hybrid, with skills, C&C and different gameplay options:
Wolfenstein-Perk-Tree.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Ash

Arcane
Sounds like you've never played any old school FPS. They were not about cinematic setpieces and linear level design. They were open, use your head and your skills to progress pure unadulterated gameplay. That's not to say they can't have plot or cinematics. RTCW did, being of the early 2000s and not true old school 90s, but it was just the right amount.
Anyhow, the most important thing here is level design, which makes or breaks any game. W:TNO was very linear.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Yeah, it's a run-of-the-mill FPS because AI kills you on sight, and vice versa, you kill them on sight. That's different from the newer, more nuanced FPS/RPG hybrids like Deus Ex or Dishonored where there are different AI flags, friendly vs. enemy zones, where you can infilitrate, use stealth, where you can use non-lethal tools to overcome situations etc. nuWolf has some of that too, but it's just nominally slapped on and not a core design philosophy. It's just a well-executed linear FPS with tons of cutscenes thrown in.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Depends of what you mean by old school shooters, if by old school shooters, you mean the build games and the Doom clones, nope, you are completely wrong but if your frame of reference is something like Return to Castle wolfenstein, Medal of Honor and Half Life or other linear "cinematic" run and gun shooters, it isn't a completely wrong comparison. However, something like the New Order has alot more scripted cutscenes and popamole sections than any of those games had.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I should mention again that TNO did have some truly engaging encounters. With an emphasis on SOME, since a good director would have placed a larger focus on the good parts instead of messing the pacing up with stretches of nothing, cinematic moments, and talky bits. Though the better levels can't do much against hitscan crap out of the ass coupled with mediocre movement speed. At least the newer enemies and the possibility to use the Jewsuit look promising.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I came into contact with FPS gaming first by playing Unreal, Half-Life 1, AvP, NOLF, UT99, Quake 3 etc. I already briefly played Doom, Quake 2 and Terminal Verlocity before but those never appealed to me, and even less so after I played Unreal and HL1.

That being said, nuWolf is very much in the same vein as HL to me, ergo run-of-the-mill FPS by my definition.

Never cared much about Medal of Honor, CoD etc as those were dumbed down console shooters made for lobotomized people. Neither do I like DOOM4 as I think it's a lazy piece of shit resting on the laurels of the classic Doom games.

Mazisky

Magister
The new order was the last Fps i enjoyed so much, more than Prey, Doom or any other in the last 4 years.

The storytelling was excellent, so the gameplay, really looking for this

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well wolfy could be good game but i am tired of all the WW2 games.I have played maybe 20-30 ww2 games and killing nazi became annoying as fuck.Bad company was refreshing because it have a nazi campaign.Also wolfenstein is not an old school even return to castle wolfenstein is not an old school.One of the main characteristics about old school is that enemy have a visible projectile weapons that you could avoid if you have the skills.The game is not a bad game it is ok,it is a jewish wet dream.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The main character died in the last one. He asked that a nuclear weapon be fired on his position, if I remember correctly. Why should I give a damn about his fate if he can get out of anything? They should have replaced him.

And, ANOTHER smug middle-aged Nazi woman with a scarred face? Really?

Seems uninspired.

Ivan

Arcane
I don't really get the enthusiasm for older FPS' reliance on "keys" to peel their levels. It was just backtracking. Sure you had to remember where the hell that yellow door was, but there were no new obstacles or puzzles to prevent you accessing it. And while I would agree that corridor shooters are trash, but I think the more straightforward level design of Blood or Shadow Warrior was for the better than Doom's. i.e. Blood and Shadow Warrior's more straightforward levels didn't take the foot off the fun pedal as much as Doom did, particularly the labyrinthine, acclaimed mod levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom