Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wolfenstein: The New Order

GreyViper

Prophet
Well I have mixed feelings for it. Don't hate or dislike as such, its just mediocre shooter. Problem is the latest AAA+ shooter CoD Ghost managed to do such piss poor job that this one feels like a grand leap next to it. Overall I find that Metro last light did better job the new Wolf3D story and game play vise.
What did bother me were some of the pointless brutality that don't serve no point what so ever. I mean BJ gets stabbed and cut open like pig two times a row, but he just goes waltzing around with no care in the world. So whats the point of the awkward scene if you don't include handicap to it.
Next the whole nazi technological leap, like somebody pointed out the "super concrete" and other stuff. I mean when you learn the so called origin, you just have to go WTF and the caches in fricking Atlantic Ocean??? I cant help, but smirk at this Jewish propaganda(think of the Day Z movie one and you get the idea).

Weapons I found weren't that bad, but expected bit more or some über upgrades at later lvls. The AI is mediocre or has very low detection range. And as was pointed out at some opponents armor plays no role, because most time head shot is 1 shoot kill, even with them having helmet on. Same for knife throw, instakill for most no matter what armor. While playing I just couldn't help but think that I had more playing Necrovision then this. Its how the shoots and knife throws connected, it just didn't have that ompf.

I guess that's it. By the way what did they archive overall, only that resistance was rekindled and thats it?
The world is still ruled by the new regime.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Question people need to ask themselves: Is this six or so hour railroaded cinematic experience worth $60 over an indie FPS like Tower of Guns for $15 (that I got for $1 during an IndieGameStand promo)? With AAA today, 39% of the budget goes into graphics, 60% goes into marketing, and another 1% into gameplay. Unfortunately this is what the vast majority of the public wants.

Pretty sure they have advanced technology because they always have in these games.

2358267-hitler_wolfenstein_3d.jpg

They retconned that out of The New Odour though, now it's all superior juden technolomagiks.

Problem, goyim?

:troll:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Not sure why, but i'll spoiler this just in case

With that youtube ending, wonder what happens if you don't stab the heck out of him and just run off, would be interesting to have the not gory death being the err "good" ending, i mean the cannons gonna wipe him out anyway

That'll probably be asking way too much from popamole.

Maybe sexbad can test if its doable as he's playing the game.
Your only option is press v to melee attack. I just waited for a few minutes. I don't think it looped by that point. This is what they waste their money on.

kazgar

Arcane
Not sure why, but i'll spoiler this just in case

With that youtube ending, wonder what happens if you don't stab the heck out of him and just run off, would be interesting to have the not gory death being the err "good" ending, i mean the cannons gonna wipe him out anyway

That'll probably be asking way too much from popamole.

Maybe sexbad can test if its doable as he's playing the game.
Your only option is press v to melee attack. I just waited for a few minutes. I don't think it looped by that point. This is what they waste their money on.

Thanks for that, rubbish as expected.

Astral Rag

Arcane
HardOCP Performance Review:
Conclusion:

The word of the day for Wolfenstein: The New Order on the PC is "restrictive." We have learned a lot about this game, and what we've learned is that this game suffers in many ways. It suffers as a game that reminds us of a focus on the console experience, rather than the PC gaming experience. It suffers as a game that reminds us of RAGE again, with many issues not learned, or ignored from that game three years ago. It's best if we break each topic down, then we will talk about performance, and then about what video cards play best at what settings. In no particular order:

60 FPS Cap - Wolfenstein: The New Order suffers from an imposed 60 FPS game cap. It is not disabled by turning off VSYNC, and there are no in-game options to turn off or increase the maximum framerate from within the game. This is normally a thing we see on console ported games, but sometimes it is done for other reasons. The fact stands that this is not a PC oriented option and in no way helps PC gaming. There are gamers with 120Hz displays who enjoy that level of gameplay. There are users of SLI and CrossFire who want all the performance they paid for to be there when they play games. This imposed FPS cap is unacceptable for PC gaming.

No AA Options - A staple in any PC game, antialiasing. This game lacks AA options or unique forms of AA to push the gaming industry forward. No control over shader AA, traditional MSAA, or SSAA. No alpha transparency AA options either. This is a common sense feature that should be in any PC game.

Graphics Options linked to VRAM Capacity - This game suffers from having its graphics options linked to VRAM capacity. On video cards with 3GB of VRAM, or more, the "Ultra" setting and optional customize graphics to maximum values are present. If you have a video card with 2GB of VRAM, "Ultra" is no longer there. We can imagine if you have less than that, it will decrease optional settings even more.

When a game like this sets itself by VRAM, rather than performance, what ends up happening is exactly what we've experienced. All the performance, for every video card, will be close to that 60 FPS framerate cap because one cannot push the settings higher and sacrifice performance for higher in-game settings. It's an imposed limit that forces a certain level of performance dependent on VRAM capacity, and not what the GPU is actually capable of accelerating.

No Aspect Ratio - Something as simple as forcing a different aspect ratio from inside the game is not there. Naturally, you don't need this for consoles, but for a PC this is a feature that is nothing but common sense. This game detects the aspect ratio of your display, and you are stuck to those resolution settings with in-game options. This does not favor PC gaming.

Those qualities above limit the game, now let's talk about other things this game suffers which decrease the gameplay experience.

Texture Pop-in - This one is one of the most annoying issues with this game, and it was present in RAGE. Unfortunately we cannot show you with screenshots. PC Gamer has some animations that shows this problem quite prominently. There has been three years since that game, and you would think someone would have listened and fixed this problem in a 2014 game, but nope. As you move the camera left or right, up or down you notice the textures loading in. It's so slow at doing it that sometimes you see textures loading in a quarter of a way into your screen. It is a major distraction, makes the game feel cheap, and kills the immersion of gameplay. This is a problem that cannot be ignored, we thought it was a one-off with RAGE, but apparently it's native to id Tech 5. This does not give us warm feelings about what to expect with Doom 4.

Inconsistent Texture Quality - This is also something else we encountered in RAGE and is still a problem in this game as well. In the same scene or frame you can have some textures looking detailed, and others looking downright flat, un-detailed, and just plain bad. It's a big issue, and it makes the game look inconsistent and unfinished. One again its kills the game’s immersiveness.

OpenGL - OpenGL 3.2, really? There have been six newer OpenGL releases since 2009, yet this game uses an API based 5 years ago. NVIDIA's and AMD's video cards both support OpenGL 4.4, released in 2013 and are primed and ready to show us what modern OpenGL can do. This game does not exploit that and does not move OpenGL gaming forward.
Performance

Due to the nature of this game detecting graphics options based on VRAM capacity, most video cards will operate between 40-60 FPS. We think it breaks down like this:

AMD Radeon R9 290X and GeForce GTX 780 Ti. You will have no issue running at 2560x1600 with the highest possible settings the game supports. You will have performance to spare, and either card is a draw in terms of gameplay experience.

AMD Radeon R9 290 and GeForce GTX 780. You will have no issue running at "Ultra" settings at 2560x1600. The GTX 780 will be technically faster, but it won't matter, the gameplay experience will be the same.

AMD Radeon R9 280X and GeForce GTX 770. You will find the GeForce GTX 770 to be faster, but it will be limited to "High" settings due to VRAM. The R9 280X will be able to run at "Ultra" at 1080p and even 2560x1600, though that might be a little too graphics demanding. The best setting for the 280X will be 1080p and "Ultra" settings. The GTX 770 can run at 1080p at "High" settings, or 2560x1600 at "High". 280X can also run 2560x1600 at "High".

For video cards below the 280X and 770 1080p is going to be the sweet spot. If the card has 2GB of VRAM, "High" settings will be playable down to a certain level of GPU, and we think it will be pretty far down the value tree. If you have a 3GB card you might find "Ultra" playable at 1080p.

Overall, this game is not a huge burden on video cards, nor does it require the latest and greatest and most expensive to have a good gameplay experience. In our experience an AMD Radeon R9 280X is probably your best value, that extra RAM will allow "Ultra" at 1080p and allow you to play at higher resolutions at "High" settings.

The Bottom Line

We hate to be harsh, we had hopes that Wolfenstein: The New Order would be better. We had hopes that the issues discovered in RAGE would be fixed. We had hopes this would be a forward looking, PC oriented game. In all cases, we were let down.

This game is not a forward looking PC game. It lacks basic settings and features PC games need. It has too many restrictions and too many negative graphical issues that harm gameplay. This game has the same issues RAGE had, it is as if nothing was learned, or no one cared. The gameplay is somewhat fun if you are looking for a fast paced first-person shooter, with a hollow storyline and immersion breaking graphics.

We have been itching and scratching to update our gaming suite, waiting for a game here in 2014 that is worthy to add. We are still waiting. We are now five months into the year, and there has yet to be a game that seems next generation to us on the PC gaming platform. Wolfenstein: The New Order will not be evaluated further from us, nor is it worth to add to our gameplay suite. That said, I'll play through the rest of it on my own gaming time just to complete the experience and nostalgia of this series, and that's about all there is to say about this game. All of us here say save your money as the new Wolf is only suitable as a bargain bin purchase.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/05/21/wolfenstein_new_order_performance_review/1

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
So Zenimax bought id for tech 5 and future engines but Carmack found another toy and didn't do jack shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Honestly I didn't have texture pop-in issues with Rage. Maybe I have a magic hard drive. In any case the game has no AA options at all? Not even FXAA or something?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Honestly I didn't have texture pop-in issues with Rage. Maybe I have a magic hard drive.

Clearly your mouse sensitivity was just set too low - you aren't pr0 unless you constantly do 360 noscope headshots.

I couldn't get proper AA going from options either, but you can always press ctrl+shift+tilde and type r_multisamples x (x = AA multiplier).

St. Toxic

Arcane
Alright, so now I'm at the part where the resistance is cooperating with a member of a Jewish shadowy cabal of technocrats. Suddenly the Nazis don't seem so bad.

"Why did you create all this fucked up technology?"
"To get closer to God! Oy vey Yahway! We never intended to use any of it, especially not for evil."
"Are you fucking nuts?"

And then naturally the Polish chick tries to defend these scumbags with empty rhetoric.

"Uuh, it's like MATHEMATICS. 2+2=4, each equation brings you closer to God."
"Go on", says Goldstein, "If they buy your explanation then I'm off the hook."

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Oh, also, in case anybody is curious, the moonwalking section lasts about two minutes. I remember walking through a small crevice, shooting three or four flying laser drone things, and jumping over a gap. Then BJ goes back inside, takes off his spacesuit, and starts cutting himself.

Angthoron

Arcane
Oh, also, in case anybody is curious, the moonwalking section lasts about two minutes. I remember walking through a small crevice, shooting three or four flying laser drone things, and jumping over a gap. Then BJ goes back inside, takes off his spacesuit, and starts cutting himself.
Hey, at least there's no filler driving content and forced races. Is self-mutilation a QTE event?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Hey, at least there's no filler driving content and forced races. Is self-mutilation a QTE event?
It's a pre-rendered cutscene.

Don't worry. Instead of racing, you get to do chores around home base, like FIND MOLDY CONCRETE. You can also get date-raped by a hippie musician.

Angthoron

Arcane
You can also get date-raped by a hippie musician.

There are hippies in Nazilands?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Finished. I give it 6 or 7 panzerhund out of 10.
Some people say this is 14 to 20 hours long but some people say it's only 5 to 6 hours long, who is right?
I got eleven hours out of it the first time. Now I am playing it again to see if a choice to let someone die at the begging affects anything (it's lasting, but entirely cosmetic). This time I'm skipping through most of the cutscenes, and it's taken me about half the time it did originally.

People who say five or six are likely skipping all the cutscenes and ignoring any of the home base side quests or the game's "secrets."

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
5-6 hours of gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom