Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wolfenstein: The New Order

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I haven't played Doom 3 in years, but I remember good things about the guns. I remember being very satisfied with the shotgun and the machine gun. The energy weapons like the BFG felt a bit like flapping toilet paper at enemies, though.
They sound like airsoft weapons. The machine gun goes puh-puh-puh-puh.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
They sound like airsoft weapons. The machine gun goes puh-puh-puh-puh.

Yeah the sounds really are pathetic, which is a shame because some of them are good otherwise. Dual-wielding assault rifles or shotguns should rape your ears, but instead they just go pewpew.

SoupNazi

Oh, this is on the Rage engine. There goes my curiosity about if it's worth not removing from inventory at least.

aris

Arcane
Does it get better after this

No. After the castle, it's mostly a shooting gallery, after shooting gallery, with several waves of enemies, similar to Max Payne 3 and other popamoles. There are some "open" parts near the beginning, but the rest is a scripted corridor. Also, the storyline makes absolutely no sense.
I don't know much about wolfenstein, and I don't care much about this game, but I'm pretty sure the wolfenstein games are supposed to be nonsensical story wise. The original had you fighting Hitler riding on a spider.

but meh, another codexer who criticises a game without having the proper contextual knowledge? Color me fucking surprised.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does it get better after this

No. After the castle, it's mostly a shooting gallery, after shooting gallery, with several waves of enemies, similar to Max Payne 3 and other popamoles. There are some "open" parts near the beginning, but the rest is a scripted corridor. Also, the storyline makes absolutely no sense.
I don't know much about wolfenstein, and I don't care much about this game, but I'm pretty sure the wolfenstein games are supposed to be nonsensical story wise. The original had you fighting Hitler riding on a spider.

but meh, another codexer who criticises a game without having the proper contextual knowledge? Color me fucking surprised.

andhaira.png

aris

Arcane
Yeah now that I think about it, I have no idea where I got that from. Turns out he was wearing a mech suite
Hitler2forms.gif

Still, my point stands.

I laugh at anyone saying that the story in this game is bad compared to the previous entries in the same series, because that means that they took the previous entries seriously.

7/10

Learned
It's another wannabe movie, with a "mature" storyline, "mature" themes like sex (a nazi shooter without sex? I think not), "character depth" (Blazkowicz is angry, that the evil nazi general cut his bro's face), a 5-man resistance movement parking stolen nazi helicopters in the sewers right underneath Berlin (lots of sewers in this game) and a secret jewish society inventing robots in their spare time (that's how nazis got robots).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPS review: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/04/wolfenstein-the-new-order-pc-review/
Alec: Anyway. I keep wanting to say things like “Wolfenstein is far better than it has any right to be”, but then I question why it doesn’t have that right. Big publisher? Umpteenth sequel? Change of developer? None of those things really matter – it’s just whether someone’s trying to make as a good a gonzo alterna-WW2 shooter as they can.

And they made a pretty damn fine job of it, apart from a couple of tonal misfires and the accursed checkpoints.

Adam: Yep. My favourite FPS in a good while and it’s given me a renewed interest in Wolfenstein as a name and, more importantly, in the studio.

It’s better than I ever expected it to be but that’s bringing my own taste into consideration – I’m a fairly squeamish sort when it comes to making light of history and I don’t enjoy many FPS games at all anymore.

Alec: It’s also one of far too few games which look to Half-Life 2 rather than Modern Warfare for their inspiration. While that’s a watermark it was realistically never going to reach, it pays off – it gives the player much more to do and to plan and experiment with than most contemporary FPSes. (HL2 doing not-Nazis as its Nazis is important to its effectiveness – the bleakness but not the discomfort).

Adam: The actual action reminded me of the combat in F.E.A.R. at times, when it was happening in smaller closed spaces anyhow. That’s a good thing too. It has a solidity that I miss in a lot of games.

Alec: I could have done without quite so many extended torture or evisceration sequences, to be honest. I don’t think it’s just that I’m getting old – again it’s that tonal imbalance, the times when it struggles to reconcile its tonal duality.

Adam: Maybe the Strasse switch-out for Hitler removed some of the discomfort for me. And, yes, the gorier excesses felt unnecessary. The globe-trotting (or Europe-trotting, plus moon and secret underwater magi-science cave) are more Indiana Jones than Inglourious Basterds. It’s high adventure rather than grimdark horror. At its best, at least.

Alec: Anyway, speaking of humanity’s darkest hour, the baby is screaming again so let’s wrap this up.

Adam: Wolfenstein – BETTER THAN IT HAD ANY RIGHT TO BE

Alec: Quite right too.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Reminds me of when they gave Far Cry 3 their game of the year. They pretty much begged forgiveness in the article, "we're sorry we liked this so much. We feel ashamed."

DeepOcean

Arcane
Adam: The actual action reminded me of the combat in F.E.A.R. at times, when it was happening in smaller closed spaces anyhow. That’s a good thing too. It has a solidity that I miss in a lot of games.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Kahlis

Cipher
There's really no reason to have this kind of game when the Wolf3D modding community, well, it's existent surprisingly. Spear Resurrection and its sequel are great fun. Also, does anybody remember the Sonderkommando Revolt mod? Apparently it was cancelled after receiving exposure from the wrong channels or something, but still, what could have been...

It's been mentioned by a few here already but I figured out where the budget went:

:flamesaw:

Last edited:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Got curious for a bit and then saw it's using the same engine as Rage. Fuck that shit. I remember quite vividly the amount of issues that shit game had with ATI cards and I also know just what kind of a card I have in my current pc.

Lemming42

Arcane
So in an alternate history where Nazis take over the world, that exact arrangement of "House Of The Rising Sun" is still made?

I laughed at "New Berlin" in the lyrics though.

Deleted member 7219

Completed it.

Engine is horrible (blurry 'megatextures', shitty low-res consolised backdrops, constant pop-in), story is ridiculous, but the gunplay was quite good.

Not as good as RtCW though.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Wolfenstein is actually quite long for a modern FPS. Steam says I played 11 hours. I ended up liking the game a lot, even though there's nothing special about the gameplay mechanics. Of course, you should be striving to do everything in stealth, since you can. I wouldn't pay full price, but buying half off during the Steam sale I am perfectly happy with what I got.

I had no problems with the engine.

The worst part of the game is the boss fights. They're mostly boring bullet sponges. The fight against the London Monitor was just dumb, you could just hide underneat the unbreakable parts of the sewer and recharge your laser gun.
The final boss has hitscan weapons so it actually reminded me of a WoW fight. You have to do enough damage and pick up enough heals to beat the inevitable loss. Not the worst mechanic ever, but not really that special

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom