Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - Remake

Drowed

Arcane
So, we have this now:

WonderBoyTheDragonsTrap-03.jpg

WonderBoyTheDragonsTrap-04.jpg

WonderBoyTheDragonsTrap-05.jpg

WonderBoyTheDragonsTrap-06.jpg

I really loved this game when I was younger, so I can say that I'm really excited about this remake. Your mileage may vary, but basically I grinned during the whole trailer. The art direction looks great in my opinion, and the gameplay seems to be exactly the same as the original.

I wish more remakes would follow this kind of art style. In fact, most games in general. I'm a little tired of games in "pixel art", if ever that many deserve this adjective.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah this looks pretty damn great. I've only played Monster World and the one that played like a side-scrolling shooter (forgot the name), but I'd give it a try even if those DotEmu hacks are behind it.

I wish more remakes would follow this kind of art style. In fact, most games in general. I'm a little tired of games in "pixel art", if ever that many deserve this adjective.
Hear, hear. I respect studios that jump the pixels entirely and just do straight up animation. The guys behind Cuphead, Shantae, Indivisible, Rayman, for example.

Siveon

Bot
Funny enough there's another game that fits that very same description.

EDIT: Ninja'd. The first Adventure Island also had skateboards, no?

Drowed

Arcane
Yeah, I think. And I do remember that other Wonder Boy game, in the Master System:

wonder-boy.png

This screen is of the acarde version, tho.

Siveon

Bot
They were two very similar games released around the same time on rival systems. A big skateboarding caveman market, was there?

EDIT: Oh, Adventure Island was supposed to be a port. Neato.

I hope they do something with Monster World III and IV (Or Wonder Boy V and VI, fuck that weird divide).

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Apparently, they are sticking to 1:1 remake, despite some graphic changes. They were able to reverse engineer or get access to the original source code of the game and wanted to make sure everything behaved in the same way.

I am _incredibly_ hot for this. I played Dragon's Trap for an absurd amount of time on my Game Gear. I remember thinking the way the game started was super badass.

Drowed

Arcane
There's also that other "Monster Boy" game:

It's more... Japanese, I guess? It doesn't look bad, but, somehow... Not as good as the remake? I can't put my finger on it, but something feels off.

I will still try to get it, anyway.

Siveon

Bot
It's more... Japanese, I guess? It doesn't look bad, but, somehow... Not as good as the remake? I can't put my finger on it, but something feels off.
The graphics remind me more of a 2D MMO like Maplestory. I think it's because of the bloom and how the objects don't seem to exactly mesh well. No, not bad, but if I could take more games in the style of this remake I definitely would.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Here in Brazil we only played the remake clone of Wonder Boy III, featuring characters from a well know comic series (for brazilians):

TurmaDaMonica-SMS-BR.jpg

Also, the remake clone of Wonder Boy II:

MonicaNoCasteloDoDragao-SMS-BR.jpg

Drowed

Arcane
Yeah, but I wouldn't call it a clone, it was a "romhack", or in this case, a sprite-hack.

It's the same as Super Mario Bros 2, which is a ("official") hack of Doki Doki Panic:

super-Mario-Bros-2-Doki-Doki-Panic-3.jpg

you've been mixing "wonder boy" and "super wonder boy in monster land". i never liked the first, the caveman on skateboard never caught me, while i was totally in love with the second, the closest thing to an rpg you could play in an arcade.
this looks like a remake of the second, which is good, but... 1:1? i don't need it, i played the previous game already.

Drowed

Arcane
It was only called "Super Wonder Boy" in Japan, afaik. Outside Japan, it was just "Wonder Boy". Also because they're all part of the same "series", some of the games are part of both series, "Wonder Boy" and "Monster World". That's why there is such confusion about the game.

I didn't even remember that they were all are part of a single 'series' until Excidium posted about the first game, and I searched a little about it.

Last edited:

racofer

Thread Incliner
Here in Brazil we only played the remake clone of Wonder Boy III, featuring characters from a well know comic series (for brazilians):

TurmaDaMonica-SMS-BR.jpg

Also, the remake clone of Wonder Boy II:

MonicaNoCasteloDoDragao-SMS-BR.jpg
Untrue. I played The Dragon's Trap a lot way back then.

---

Arcane
Did you keep your 1989 saves?

Fucking. Day. One.
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

EDIT: also, 17 minutes of gameplay

Last edited:

---

Arcane
And the new Monster Boy seems even better :bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom