Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - Remake

Gunnar

Arbiter
Yeah, I think. And I do remember that other Wonder Boy game, in the Master System:

wonder-boy.png

This screen is of the acarde version, tho.

This was one game i could never finish. I remember it just going on and on and i'm not even sure whether it had an ending.

Ah yes, my old nemesis. Game has 9 stages with 4 levels each for 36 total levels. IF you collect the doll on every level, you get access to super secret stage 10, also with 4 levels and the 'true' ending. Fun game, the Wonder Boys are all great.

RuySan

Augur
I have great memories of this one, but i hope they remix the levels a bit, because some of them were just long boring corridors.

Wonderboy in Monsterland is still my favourite of the series. I fire up the arcade version every now and then. That music...:love:

---

Arcane
I have great memories of this one, but i hope they remix the levels a bit, because some of them were just long boring corridors.
I hope too, but they said it's going to be a 1:1 remake.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wonder Boy in Monster World was on of my favorite games for the Genesis. I loved the music, the companions, all the different lands that you visit. It's funny how these games seem so epic as a kid and when I replay them now I usually can beat them in a day or two. BioMeka is still a fucking sick endboss and beating him feels really great, particularly if you go and check the youtube comment section afterwards and its full of people complaining how the boss is shit design, too hard, unfair or whatever - and then its already the version of BioMeka that was actually toned down in difficulty. Fucking pussies.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Available now: https://af.gog.com/game/wonder_boy_the_dragons_trap?as=1649904300
(i've been furiously mashing F5 on that page for about 2 hours)

edit:
Played for a while. Overall good remake, only niggles are that some of the new tracks aren't as cool as the 8-bit versions. (specifically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw33uSesViU has a bunch of different remixes, most of which are a bit boring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xPwcf97WrI)
Not a big deal, since you can switch of course.
Also, there's apparently no retro inventory. Probably because they changed the way some of it works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drowed

Arcane
Played for a while. Overall good remake, only niggles are that some of the new tracks aren't as cool as the 8-bit versions.

Very true! I mean, the songs aren't bad, but most of them lost much of the "impact". In the 8-bit version, the instruments stand out and the melody is very clear. But in the remake, perhaps because they are orchestrated versions, much of the lead instrument's "punch" has been lost. All the songs were softened, somehow.

But the game is great, still.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I had a go at this. Nearly every aspect of the remake is just awesome. The looks of the shopkeepers as you stand there browsing their wares, the music, animations... it's just awesome. The only negative point I can level against the remake aspect of the game is how the inventory is managed, it just feels off somehow.

The problems I encountered all concern the base game itself. The level design aims to showcase each monster form, and does this to the point that it hurts to play the game, especially since (during the time I played) the only way I could switch between the forms was to travel to some god-forsaken corner of the game world to jump on an altar until I got the form I wanted. Also some of the levels (the tower you have so scale as the mouse, for example) just hurt due to how stupid they are.

As I mentioned previously I preferred Wonder Boy in Monsterland, but after trying this I may be looking too much at that game with rose-tinted glasses. Stil, I hope they'll continue with more remakes in this vein.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
the only way I could switch between the forms was to travel to some god-forsaken corner of the game world to jump on an altar until I got the form I wanted.
Eh? Should be a switch in the central town that's available as soon as you get the thingie that lets you destroy some blocks, which I believe is a mandatory power-up?
But yeah, it's designed so you can finish the game without switching beyond the mandatory ones after each boss fight (and in the final castle).

Unwanted

Janise

Unwanted
Tried it.
Extremely boring. Also that horrible inertia mechanic. HATED it in every NES game ever.
You can switch between the old school gfx/sfx and new ones. The old sfx feels more fitting for some reason... Its a very strange feeling, kinda nostalgic but not really. Gfx is less crowded in olden ways.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Tried it.
Extremely boring. Also that horrible inertia mechanic. HATED it in every NES game ever.
You can switch between the old school gfx/sfx and new ones. The old sfx feels more fitting for some reason... Its a very strange feeling, kinda nostalgic but not really. Gfx is less crowded in olden ways.
Most of these indie Metroidvanias with pompous HD graphics or retro visual are boring.

It's like those generic Amiga games with great art.

Falksi

Arcane
Just bought this and I'm fucking loving it so far. To me it was the best game on the Master System, and this spruce up has done it proud.

Early days yet though, so be interesting to see if I feel the same as Unkillable Cat about the level design as I progress. I knew the game like the back of my hand back in t'day, and so far it's flowed really easily because of that, but later on might be a different story.

Soo, is the sequel worth it?
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom isn't as good IMO. It's a lot longer and still a pretty decent game, but it's in a more traditional, consolidated Metroid style. I don't think the artwork or the animation are as charming (although very good by their own merits).

Worth checking out, but there are far superior modern games in the style - Hollow Knight and Ori come to mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom