Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst Game of 2014: Shovel Knight

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
You have to wait until an attack completes in midair before you can do the bouncy thing? Also redefining keys in the options menu redefines them when navigating the options menu while you are still redefining keys? Mongoloids made this game

You idiots weren't even born yet in the 8 bit era, what do you have to be nostalgic for? Be honest for once in your lives

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
kill yourself

PS you just hold down while in the air to shovel downward, tardo

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Pfew, I almost thought that kingcomrade is not retarded. Thank God he proved me wrong.

oscar

Arcane
The pseudo-retro pixel graphics that indie developers seem to love as "charming" are one of the worst trends of modern gaming.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
seems better than Rogue Legacy; the other knight game at least

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
When a game's main selling point is "nostalgic", I'd rather not touch it.
Yeah, everyone knows that the best games EVER come out on a yearly monthly basis; there's no reason at all to play old games or ones similar to them. Why play this when you could be playing the latest Assassin's Creed game, clearly a much better platformer due to it's total divorcing from everything that defined the genre. Any good game clearly needs long cutscenes with an expensive lighting engine, and plenty of QTEs.

A horse of course

KC dropping truth bombs on the Pleb's Republic of Codexia once again

Athelas

Arcane
Yeah, everyone knows that the best games EVER come out on a yearly monthly basis; there's no reason at all to play old games or ones similar to them. Why play this when you could be playing the latest Assassin's Creed game, clearly a much better platformer due to it's total divorcing from everything that defined the genre. Any good game clearly needs long cutscenes with an expensive lighting engine, and plenty of QTEs.
This is a false dichotomy. The suckiness of AAA games doesn't mean retro indie games are necessarily good.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I never implied they were neccesarily good though. I implied they could potentially be good, in response to the moron I was quoting who was implying that they can't be.
Who cares about nostalgia?
So what if you can see the pixels? The game can still have good aesthetics and great gameplay.
Judge it on its merits. Shovel Knight is pretty good.
This is a valid judgement to make.
Platformers are god awful
So is this.
The pseudo-retro pixel graphics that indie developers seem to love as "charming" are one of the worst trends of modern gaming.
This is just retarded graphics whoring. I guess KotC is worse than Dragon Age because pixel graphics are the worst thing ever. If only it looked like a crappy flash game instead, that'd be much better. :roll:

AlexOfSpades

Arcane

Yeah, because there are only two kinds of games: 8 bit nostalgic indies, and triple-A piles of shit by Ubisoft. No middle ground at all, right?

What I meant was that if a game's main selling point is "nostalgic", then its because it offers nothing new. No new mechanic, no new art style, no new nothing (otherwise those would be its selling point). The same shit we had in the 90's, sold today. We have seen before that it's perfectly possible to make an old-fashioned game with new mechanics/art-style (examples: Dust, Skullgirls). Their main selling point is not nostalgia - because they got a genre/gameplay that was popular back in those days and revamped it with new mechanics and improved graphics. And when I say improved graphics I don't mean 30k+ polys in 1080p and ten different filters, I mean hand-drawn characters with lots of sprites (which back in the days were impossible due to cartridge limitations), more voice lines, online play, etc.

If a game offers nothing new, then the only thing it has to boast as its selling point is that it has nothing new. In other words, nostalgic. It doesn't impress me. Also, pixel art is so damn easy to make, it also doesn't impress me at all. But feel free to pretend I like Ass Creed or that I'm a moron for disliking "nostalgic" games. Pfft.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
In all fairness, it does offer new mechanics, its a modern twist in retro games.
Somehow it managed to rise from the endless sea of artsy garbage indie devs keep putting on the shelf and it wasn't for no reason.
As the game progresses it gets more and more original, delivering new mechanics every single stage.
It's not just another retro copy bullshit, its a game that offers fun in different levels, using everything, like, really everything, from physics to npcs to keep the "fun wheel" turning.
I too am tired of seeing pixel art bullshit, but this one is an exception. A good one.

But of course that, if you're not a fan of platformers, you're not gonna like it, which is your case specifically Alex.

Oh and holy fucking balls, the soundtrack. Holy shit the soundtrack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom