Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Worthplaying would like a) more KotOR and b) fresh underpants

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

<a href=http://www.worthplaying.com>Worthplaying</a> have <a href=http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=15021>reviewed</a> <a href=http://www.bioware.com>BioWare</a>'s <a href=http://www.swkotor.com>Knights of the Old Republic</a> and hoo, boy do they love it. It scores a staggering <b>9.8 out of 10</b>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The game is well-written and right around the time it begins to sag a little it drops a major plot on you, one that you'll have a hard time predicting. This revelation is a defining moment for your character and how you proceed for the rest of the game. Unlike other games that purport themselves to being a role-playing game, there isn't a single path to finishing the game. It is possible to finish the game as either a Light or Dark Jedi, so most of the missions have Light and Dark ending. For instance, one mission revolves around a person who has been exiled from his community. You can side with the Corporation in charge, kill them and earn Dark Side Points, or you can restore them to their former place in the community for Light Side points. Oddly enough, there is one mission where you can solve a problem peacefully or wipe out a settlement, but neither choice earns you any points. The Force Points are the moral scale by which you are measured; accumulate too many Dark Side points and you'll risk falling to the Dark Side, which won't please your Jedi Masters too much. These are separate from the XP you gain finishing quests and killing enemies, and only serve as a scale.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I say Dark Siders should be issued sunglasses and a German accent, just for style.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blues News</a>.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Idiot Reviewer said:
Once you've done that, you'll become tasked with finding five artifacts known as Star Maps, which are the keys to finding the Star Forge

*has a flashback to NWN* Oh dear, please say it's not so. I am really wanting to buy this.

triCritical

Erudite
Oddly enough, there is one mission where you can solve a problem peacefully or wipe out a settlement, but neither choice earns you any points.

Specially since the wiping out of the sand people village in episode two was one a strong thematic images of Anakin embracing the dark side.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Trust me, Greyhawk. BIO did alot more things right with KOTOR than they have with just about any of their games in the past. It definitely could use some help, but it's a nice change from the usual BIO-crap.

I played it through three times on the Xbox and now it sits on my shelf. Still, three times is definitely something for someone like me. Very few games have warranted more than two replays at the most, unless it's been awhile since I've played the game at which point I usually fire them up for 'nostalgia' purposes. I liked it, and I think you will too, to an extent. Just don't go into it expecting the greatest RPG you ever played, because you'll be disappointed for sure. But go into expecting a nice fun change from NWN and you will most definitely get that, IMO. :)

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
triCritical said:
Specially since the wiping out of the sand people village in episode two was one a strong thematic images of Anakin embracing the dark side.

Yes, that was a bit weird. I did the peaceful way first, even gave them my Krayt dragon pearl to talk to the Storyteller and then asked a few impolite questions to piss them off just to see what happened. No Dark Side points at all, despite them only attacking because of my provocations, and a lot of experience points and money from collecting the bounties on their ghaffi sticks so I never bothered to reload. In my defense, that character was already starting to slide towards the Dark Side.

Jed

Cipher
triCritical said:
Anybody else offended at how that event passed without comment by any of Anakin's buddies? (General offensiveness of said movie aside, of course.)

triCritical

Erudite
I have been a bit dissapointed with how you get Darkside points and Lightside points, and I have been hearing spoilers about more bad decisions regarding them. Furthermore, I am under the impression that Bioware has made an analogy between dark and light for evil and good. respectively. There is not doubt that people in the dark side have been framed as evil. Nevertheless, there is so much more to being a dark knight then doing the wrong thing morally.

During Jedi training they trained me to the light, which is ironic because I recieved some light side points doing something contradictory to the tenets of a light jedi. Hell, if I would act like Bastilla I would probably have NO light points! I guess its my usual complaint they try to make themselve to be so complex, but at the same time things are soooo overly simplified with them.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
XJEDX said:
triCritical said:
Anybody else offended at how that event passed without comment by any of Anakin's buddies? (General offensiveness of said movie aside, of course.)

Not that I like the 'new generation' of SW movies, but the truth of the matter is only three people knew what happened between Anakin and the sand people: Anakin himself, Amidala, and Yoda (according to the book, Yoda picked up on it during the final fight at the end as well as vibeing on some other shit from Anakin). Anakin only confided in Amidala because he loved her, Amidala kept it secret from anyone because she was falling in love with Anakin, and Yoda didn't tell anyone because he's Yoda. Go figure. Lucas has fucked with the timeline so much it's not even funny. The sad part of it all is that Ep 1 and 2 were alot different from what he had originally intended when making the first three movies. But he saw how much kids loved Star Wars and felt he needed to cater to them more so he could suck up the money.

Greed sucks.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The SW movies were always for kids. Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Volourn said:
The SW movies were always for kids. Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise.

But at least the first two catered to adults as well. Hell, Empire is such a friggin awesome movie and definitely the best in the series. I might even be willing to consider it the best sci-fi movie of all time, but I would have to go back and review the other great sci-fiers in my library. The downfall began with Return which, while still a good movie in spots, did cater more to the kids than the first two. Did you know that the Ewoks were originally supposed to be bird like creatures with long legs, but they went with the cute and fuzzy look to pull in more kids?

There is a scene in the movie where they show what the original Ewoks were gonna look like. It's the scene where C3PO is being led down into Jabba's lair to speak with the slave labor bot. They lead him past a barred up window and you can see a miniature version of the original Ewok design leaning up against the bars.

triCritical

Erudite
A new hope for kiddies? Hell, I remember watching that movie as a 5-6 year old on VHS and remember being bored senseless. That movie as about boring and boring gets! Empire Strikes back was like that too. Now Return of the Jedi was pretty damn lame... err for kiddies. But I do not think that was what SW was all about.

Episode 1 and 2 are pretty bad, and I imagine episode 3 will be worse. But I am not going to lose sleep over it. Its just showing that George Lucas is not that good of a film maker.

Jed

Cipher
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Anakin only confided in Amidala because he loved her, Amidala kept it secret from anyone because she was falling in love with Anakin, and Yoda didn't tell anyone because he's Yoda.
Yeah, but if you were falling in love with someone, and then they went genocide on a village of nomads, wouldn't that at least disturb you a bit? There were even sandchildren in the village! Instead of being horrified, Amidala's response was basically: "Oh, my poor Ani. Did you tire your arm out hacking the heads off of defenseless space hicks? Let me give you a massage..."

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Yeah, it would have been disturbing if it wasn't so cheesy. Why the fuck wouldn't he look for his mom earlier? Why his mom wouldn't try to contact him after she married that guy? Why a kewl guy like him missing his mommy? How come his mom waited all this time only to die in his arms? etc. He behaves like a spoiled brat who needs a kick in the ass, not like a guy who succumbs to the DS. This kid with the fire thing from Xmen 2 shows more believable performance when he turns to the DS then fucking Dath Vader.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I'm not saying it was right or plausible. I'm just saying that was the think behind it all. Ep 1 and 2 are nothing more than eye candy to me. I spit on them unlike Empire Strikes Back. At least Empire had a decent story and did more to evolve the plot than any of the other movies. Plus, back then they didn't have CG to work with so I have alot more respect for the SE department of those movies. They worked their asses off for that movie and it shows.

I will watch Ep. 3 to see how he progresses things, but I'm not going to it expecting it to be good. I'll probably get dragged to the theater by my friend who loved Ep. 1 and 2, but he'll be paying for it, so I won't argue too much. :P

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
XJEDX said:
Yeah, but if you were falling in love with someone, and then they went genocide on a village of nomads, wouldn't that at least disturb you a bit? There were even sandchildren in the village! Instead of being horrified, Amidala's response was basically: "Oh, my poor Ani. Did you tire your arm out hacking the heads off of defenseless space hicks? Let me give you a massage..."

Gotta get me one of those chicks :lol:

triCritical

Erudite
The problem is that George Lucas needs to make a Darth Vader. He needs him to be a jedi that marries a royal person has two kids and then falls. Not to mention he has to looks like a bloody robot in the end! This is not easy to do, and I don't think Lucas no how to do it. The result is episode 1-3, and I am extrapolating on what I think will be another lackluster episode.

And BTW, there will be no 7-8 because Lucas knows 1-3 sucked, his reputation is ass and he can't do it. Given that the best thing for Star Wars would be for him to let go and let someone with talent like Peter Jackson take over.

Jed

Cipher
Vault Dweller said:
Yeah, it would have been disturbing if it wasn't so cheesy. Why the fuck wouldn't he look for his mom earlier? Why his mom wouldn't try to contact him after she married that guy? Why a kewl guy like him missing his mommy? How come his mom waited all this time only to die in his arms? etc. He behaves like a spoiled brat who needs a kick in the ass, not like a guy who succumbs to the DS. This kid with the fire thing from Xmen 2 shows more believable performance when he turns to the DS then fucking Dath Vader.
You hit it on the nose, my friend.

Obviously when talking about Lucas, believability is pretty much out the window, but the idea that Anakin becomes DV because he resents Obi Wan's authority is plain laughable.

Ausir

Arcane
Actuallly, it's very likely there will be episodes 7-9. Although Lucas doesn't want to do them... Spielberg does, and has asked Lucas to allow him. I think he's likely to agree...

triCritical

Erudite
Ausir said:
Actuallly, it's very likely there will be episodes 7-9. Although Lucas doesn't want to do them... Spielberg does, and has asked Lucas to allow him. I think he's likely to agree...

As much as I hate Spielberg's message and some of his movies. He's light years more talented then Lucas. I think he should have let Spielberg do the first three episodes too.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
XJEDX said:
Obviously when talking about Lucas, believability is pretty much out the window, but the idea that Anakin becomes DV because he resents Obi Wan's authority is plain laughable.
Laughable indeed. When I went to see this movie, I expected to see some character development, temptation, arrogance, flirting with the power, attempts to control the power of the DS, good intentions leading to hell, etc. The actual stuff was very disappointing, no development and certainly no character. A teen movie about romance where nothing makes sense.

Of course, like Tri mentioned he's supposed to turn, he's supposed to marry a princess and have 2 kids and "look like a bloody robot in the end", but just because we know it does it mean that any shit will fly. After all, it was Lucas' idea to tell the beginning of a story, so I assumed he had a story already. Apparently I was wrong.

Ausir

Arcane
triCritical said:
As much as I hate Spielberg's message and some of his movies. He's light years more talented then Lucas. I think he should have let Spielberg do the first three episodes too.

Although that might be why Lucas might not let him do it - because Spielberg would do i better than him.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Actually, the last three movies were done already, but just in book format. They covered Luke's continuing growth as a Jedi and how Han and Leia's kids became powerful Jedi as well. There was also a new emperor making an appearance. I never read them, but I know of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom