Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worthwhile 3DS Game

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So I am planning to buy a New 3DS to play SMTIV and Fire Emblem. I am holding because I don't know whether any other games are worthwhile to buy 3DS for. Any recommendation?

Exhuminator

Arcane
Don't really know your tastes personally, but here's some I like:

SMT IV: Apocalypse
SMT: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers
SMT: Devil Survivor 1 & 2 enhanced ports
Etrian Odyssey IV
Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 & 2
Dragon Quest VII
7th Dragon III
The Keep (eShop)
The Legend of Legacy
Stella Glow

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Very good suggestions:
I would add Crimson Shroud (digital) to that list.
Dragon Quest VIII
Bravely Default, it has issues, but some of the optional fights in the late game are amazing.
If you don't mind action rpgs, Tales of the Abyss is a decent game.

If you never owned a DS, there's a crapton of games to get, too.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So I am planning to buy a New 3DS to play SMTIV and Fire Emblem. I am holding because I don't know whether any other games are worthwhile to buy 3DS for. Any recommendation?

3DSs are part of the DS family and play all of the games, so you kind of have to factor that in.

More votes for the Devil Survivors, although fine to play just one of them (probably Record Breaker,the remake of the 2nd game but with improved stuff and a second campaign that is probably the closest we'll ever get to Devil Survivor III). Pretty much a Tactics game meets SMT/Persona.

Stella Glow. Sort of like Fire Emblem, but with significant differences -- female units called "Witches" feature prominently and are basically used to create map spanning buffs depending on the variety of enemy faced. Missions are easy, with no hard mode, but often have added optional objectives that heighten the difficulty somewhat.

If you like cringy harem sci-fi/fantasy anime, Conception II -- its that genre in RPG form. At its best moments it reminds me of Persona 3. It's on Steam though.

Bravely Default if you like classic Final Fantasy, specifically Final Fantasy V.

The Legend of Legacy if you like classic jRPGs like Final Fantasy but with less writing between your combat and exploration.

Any of the DS Castlevanias if you haven't played them, but Order of Ecclesia most.

Langrisser Re:Incarnation is a low budget curiosity that also tried to ape the Fire Emblem formula after the smashout success of Awakening. It has issues and was under supported after release due to the company folding (and it needed support), but it has surprising redeeming attributes.

On the not so RPG side, there are A Link Between Worlds and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, both inclined games.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Okay, thanks a lot for the information guys.

On second note, if I like JRPGs in general but exclude wizclone/dungeon crawler, would 3DS or PSVITA be better for me?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Okay, thanks a lot for the information guys.

On second note, if I like JRPGs in general but exclude wizclone/dungeon crawler, would 3DS or PSVITA be better for me?

3DS is significantly better either way, more or less. It is difficult to think of an RPG gamer for whom this isn't the case.

The PSP was carried by remakes of classic games from the 90s like Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics. It was pretty light on original material, and the PSV has fewer remakes and is even lighter on original material.

The PSV does have some nice things though, like the first two Trails of Cold Steel games (although these are also on the PS3 on the PSN) or the Persona IV Golden remake. The few games made for it also generally have better graphics, but again, these are few and far between and graphics aren't really the main thing you should be thinking about with a handheld.

Ultimately it just doesn't seem comparable though. Spurious exclusivity of one or two games vs. the entire DS/3DS line and Nintendo's heightened level of exclusives.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
If you're into action, there's Monster Hunter. It seems 4 Ultimate is the best for people new to the series. If in doubt, there are demos available on the eshop for all titles released.

Plus, as mentioned by Morality Games, with the 3DS you gain access to the DS library, which is excellent.

Exhuminator

Arcane
The 3DS and Vita both have fantastic localized JRPGs in their library. It's hard for me to say which is better. I suppose under the gun I'd say you'll find better gameplay overall on the 3DS JRPGs, but for graphical spectacle (and ecchi) go for the Vita's games.

There are plenty more JRPGs on the 3DS I didn't mention, btw. I was just going with the more hardcore stuff.

Zetor

Arcane
Yea, good stuff -- I just picked up a 3ds a few weeks ago myself, and man, this platform has some serious library depth.

Speaking of which, how is the "Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars" srpg? I mean, it's ubisoft and the franchise is kinda dumb, but it's made by God-Emperor Julian Gollop...

I noticed it's on a 20% sale in the eshop if you get 300 platinum points, wondering if it's worth the debasement.

Keldryn

Arcane
Yeah, it's getting a bit long in the tooth now, but the 3DS has a truly stellar library of JRPGs. Especially once you factor in the substantial library of DS RPGs available as well.

If you like Dragon Quest then you're in for a treat, as you can play the IV, V, and VI remakes (DS), the VII remake (3DS), the VIII port (3DS), IX (DS), and the upcoming IX as well. You can also play the fantastic DQ Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS).

In addition to the RPGs, there are also a lot of Zelda games that you can play on the 3DS: the 3D remasters of Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask, and A Link Between Worlds (loved this one). Plus the two DS games (meh) Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, and several virtual console titles: the two NES games and the three GameBoy Color games (Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons).

Also, check out the eShop game Steamworld Dig (not an RPG but great).

Vorark

Erudite
Yea, good stuff -- I just picked up a 3ds a few weeks ago myself, and man, this platform has some serious library depth.

Speaking of which, how is the "Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars" srpg? I mean, it's ubisoft and the franchise is kinda dumb, but it's made by God-Emperor Julian Gollop...

I noticed it's on a 20% sale in the eshop if you get 300 platinum points, wondering if it's worth the debasement.

Seems it's a bit "meh". Decent review here.

Exhuminator

Arcane
3DS it is then.
Since you're going with 3DS, I'll mention a few more games I like:

Bravely Default
Bravely Second: End Layer
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (basically a Persona flavored Etrian Odyssey kinda)
Etrian Mystery Dungeon (roguelike)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (if you don't have it on Wii, requires a New 3DS)
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Fire Emblem Fates (comes in 3 individual games; Birthright, Conquest, Revelations)
Rune Factory 4
Return to PoPoLoCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale
Project X Zone 1 & 2
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.
Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven

There's also some quality Mario RPGs on the system if you're into those.

flyingjohn

Arcane
And i will just mention some future games coming out this year that might interest you:
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Lady Layton
Dragon quest xi

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

It's ok, a bit simple though. More like a phone game. Save your coin for Fire Emblem or just mod your console and get it for free if it's 11.2 system version or below. Very simple to do now though a lot of steps to follow. Takes about 2 hours.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Make sure to hack it so you can play some translated stuff. All you would need is something to read the SD card with.

Are you only looking for JRPGs? Because the regular Nintendo stuff is pretty good (3D Land, Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Kirby: Mech Edition, Luigi's Mansion, Kid Icarus, the N64 Zelda remakes and A Link Between Worlds).

What commie said. It's pretty much like a flash game on the 3DS. I got it for $10 used and it's worth about half that.

Most of the stuff here is good though I say be a bit wary with Bravely Default. That game let me down, hard. Play 4 Heroes of Light instead.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Also if you're into jiggly titties get the Senran Kagura action games. They are hilariously bad/good! :)

The PSV does have some nice things though, like the first two Trails of Cold Steel games (although these are also on the PS3 on the PSN) or the Persona IV Golden remake. The few games made for it also generally have better graphics, but again, these are few and far between and graphics aren't really the main thing you should be thinking about with a handheld.

Ultimately it just doesn't seem comparable though. Spurious exclusivity of one or two games vs. the entire DS/3DS line and Nintendo's heightened level of exclusives.

Have to take issue here. If you're into crawlers, a modded Vita is heavenz. I bought a second hand one 2 years ago, and it sat gathering dust that long until 'they' hacked it. Immediately I was blown away by the hordes of content for it in addition to the things you mention, you have a bunch of old and new FF games of course and Disgaea 3 and 4(lame safe option) but you also have the following(your mileage can vary, but hey it's free so you can see for yourself):

Odin's Sphere Leithrasir
Demon Gaze I and II
Atelier Series(Sophie is latest and looks great on Vita)
Dragon Quest Builders(no joke)
Dungeon Travelers 2
Freedom Wars
God Eater(s)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth stuff translates great on it if into this.
I am Setsuna is ok(there's a translated version)
Muramasa
New Little King's Story
Summon Night 6 is great from what I can see though Eng version coming in a few months)
Tearaway is actually worth a play if you like platformers and it's amazingly slick.
Valkyria Drive

Whole bunch of Indie stuff as well as cross platform stuff that still plays well here. I'm still going though the whole list . Like I said if I had to pay the extortionate prices for some of these I'd baulk at them, but for free you can really get your 'money's worth'.

Also if you're into jiggly titties get the Senran Kagura action games. They are hilariously bad/good! :)

Have to take issue here. If you're into crawlers, a modded Vita is heavenz. I bought a second hand one 2 years ago, and it sat gathering dust that long until 'they' hacked it. Immediately I was blown away by the hordes of content for it in addition to the things you mention, you have a bunch of old and new FF games of course and Disgaea 3 and 4(lame safe option) but you also have the following(your mileage can vary, but hey it's free so you can see for yourself):

Odin's Sphere Leithrasir
Demon Gaze I and II
Atelier Series(Sophie is latest and looks great on Vita)
Dragon Quest Builders(no joke)
Dungeon Travelers 2
Freedom Wars
God Eater(s)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth stuff translates great on it if into this.
I am Setsuna is ok(there's a translated version)
Muramasa
New Little King's Story
Summon Night 6 is great from what I can see though Eng version coming in a few months)
Tearaway is actually worth a play if you like platformers and it's amazingly slick.
Valkyria Drive

Whole bunch of Indie stuff as well as cross platform stuff that still plays well here. I'm still going though the whole list . Like I said if I had to pay the extortionate prices for some of these I'd baulk at them, but for free you can really get your 'money's worth'.

You can take issue if you want but Odin Sphere's isn't exclusive, Atelier is on Steam, Neuptunia franchise is well represented on Steam, I Am Setsuna is on Steam, etc.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Make sure to hack it so you can play some translated stuff. All you would need is something to read the SD card with.

Are you only looking for JRPGs? Because the regular Nintendo stuff is pretty good (3D Land, Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Kirby: Mech Edition, Luigi's Mansion, Kid Icarus, the N64 Zelda remakes and A Link Between Worlds).

I mainly play JRPGs but Nintendo classics such as those are always pretty nice. Remind me when I was playing PS1 with the colorful adventure/action adventure tittles.

Regarding PS Vita, I do want to play Cold Steel and P4G, maybe Summon Night too. Thing is the other Vita titles are slowly trickling in into Steam (Atelier series, Nep2), and I am not interested at all in dungeon crawler/Wizclones.

Zetor

Arcane
Thanks all for the info about the Ghost Recon stuff! Ubisoft gonna ubisoft.

I got a Vita last year and was really disappointed with it (Demon Gaze is mediocre imo and the XTH remake is strictly worse than the original, plus those games are coming to steam anyway)... until it was haxored. Now it makes for a really solid emulation box with great controls and better battery life than the 3ds, just make sure to not update it past 3.60. Pirating the Vita exclusives is an option too, though tbh none of them looked like must-haves to me...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Yeah they came on Steam AFTER a long time MG. If you take a closer look I mention cross platform stuff. Also the games you mentioned can be played on emulator so they are 'cross platform' in a way. Jeez you 3ds fanboys. I see you didn't correct others for suggesting DQVIII which of course was long a PS2 game cause you have to protect the honor of the 3DS. Don't kill me bro! :lol:

Oh and I prefer the 3ds overall. Just a lot more stuff. Have half a dozen ;)

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
why would anyone recommend new little king's story over the original? (which is now on steam)

Because on the Vita it doesn't have the problems of the Steam version and it's basically a HD version, so yeah. Also it's portable while the original isn't which I thought was the point of getting a handheld in the first place. Otherwise just emulate everything on the PC and be done with it.

Also the games you mentioned can be played on emulator so they are 'cross platform' in a way. Jeez you 3ds fanboys.
3DS games can be played on an emulator as well:

https://citra-emu.org/

Yes, I know, that's why I said you can play them on an emulator. I was referring to the 3ds games being playable there :) Don't know why you'd want that really, but it's an option.

Exhuminator

Arcane
I was referring to the 3ds games being playable there
Ah, okay.

As a Vita owner with over 70 games, I get a little perturbed seeing so many once exclusives get ported to PS4 or PC. I mean it's better overall for the community, but I think it diminishes the impact of the Vita's core library. That's why I'm glad there's a way to play 3DS games on the PC as well, fair's fair. A little doopy of me to say that considering I also own a 3DS with over 70 games for it too. Guess I got a softer spot for the Vita.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom