Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Would you like an RPG that switches between 1st person / isometric?

Discussion in 'Codex Workshop' started by DavidBVal, Jun 12, 2017.

1. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Of modern games, 7 Mages has a sort of a compromise version of this. The perspective stayed first-person both in and out of combat, but while in exploration your party moved as a blob, in combat all characters could move separately and had their own initiative and AP pools. The game even did some fun stuff with the setup, but was let down by some technical limitations because it was developed with mobiles in mind.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. luj1 Learned

luj1
    Parrots:
    Good thread

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. AetherVagrant Learned Patron

AetherVagrant
    Parrots:
    I vastly prefer ROA and Krondor/Antara style over classic blobber. I don't mind exploration being in first-person but I absolutely detest party-based combat that way. If I have a party I want isometric, turn-based. No party...real time 3rd or 1st person is fine. Breaks my immurshun and feels like final fantasy otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. gaussgunner Liturgist

gaussgunner
    Parrots:
    I think it's worse than that. For iso you want a big world with low detail, designed to be viewed from only one angle. For first-person you need high detail from all angles, and to make it more realistic you'll need moveable furniture, doors, climbing, jumping, all that shit. It's a lot of modeling work. Also, those details could be interesting in combat, but implementation will be a bitch. Sounds like too much for one game.

I want to make an "exploration" rpg sometime if I can get a team together. Completely different feel from a party-based rpg, more like action rpg without the shit combat. Realtime, close-up iso camera (or maybe over-the-shoulder or first person) so it feels like you're hunting or tracking, with horrors lurking just off screen, and some tasteful jump scares. It's not a fully formed idea yet. Gotta do some prototyping and see what feels right.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)