Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ WoW Rebirth: a vanilla private server

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I'll add you on my Horde characters, none of them are over 30 yet.

Are most of the people here who play on Nostalrius on PvP and Horde?

How has the population size of the PvP realm affected the economy of said realm?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well it's extremely vibrant for one thing. Certain herbs, needed for flasks, are quite expensive. Black Lotus is going for 80-100g a piece currently. On the other hand, rare recipes and BoEs are nowhere near as expensive because:

A) gold sellers get banned
B) there's so many players grinding instances

You won't make a killing selling anything that is in unlimited supply, say Large Radiant Shards, but stuff that is needed for high-end enchanting and crafting, will still net a good price because people don't want to farm them. I'd rather farm DM East with a warrior for two hours and net ~40g, which I can then use to buy stuff needed for my +55 Healing enchant than compete with the mages and hunters farming the poisoned water elementals in EPL or Felwood who drop them.

Oh and Nostalrius just announced that since Zul'Gurub is now working properly, they will push back their timeline by 2 months and to use that time to fix the remaining class/quest bugs and to solve the devilsaur/black lotus organized farming issue and the hunter's epic bow quest queue which is currently hundreds of hunters long. So no war effort until March 2016 I believe.

Mustawd

Ok, interested in playing this. I only ever played WoW for like 3 weeks back in 2004-2005 or something. So my experience is probably pretty close to Vanilla.

Is there an easy "Install/setup" guide around?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Ok, interested in playing this. I only ever played WoW for like 3 weeks back in 2004-2005 or something. So my experience is probably pretty close to Vanilla.

Is there an easy "Install/setup" guide around?

Find a 1.12.1 WoW distro, which is floating around those sites. Then configure the realm.wtf I believe in the manner your chosen server (Nostalrius) describes.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Anyone else on Nost playing Alliance-side? I've a 52 mage who's about to hit 60 in a bit, we could do 5 mans together.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I got a bunch of characters on Nostalrius, Alliance side. My T2-geared priest is my only 60 though - my hunter is still 40 or 41, as I've been camping Broken Tooth with her for days now. Rest are way under that.

Mustawd

Just rolled a char on Alliance side. Ulrin Lvl 3 dark elf warrior. Also...is anyone on this damn server? I'm like the only one...then again, it's like 7:21 AM EST.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Weren't all the racial abilities severely in favour of horde for pvp on vanilla wow? And it's still 50-50?
Well, sort of but the edge isn't so massive. Undead can shrug off one fear, tauren have a on-demand stun, orcs have a chance to resist stun effects and trolls get haste when their HP drops. Human can spot hidden, nelves can hide, gnomes can get out of all sorts of mobility-impairing status effects and dwarves can shrug off one poison or bleed effect.

At launch there was no PvE server though, so all the serious raiders went for PvP realm as well and Alliance has a slight edge in PvE. And when the PvE-realm was eventually launched, it started the progression from patch 1.3 again, so not much motivation for any top raiding guild to move over.

The effort put into this private server is impressive. I looked at their website, professional and every relevant information you would want to obtain is cleanly exposed. Does it updates the graphics though or is it also the eye bleeder vanilla experience?

It's a shame there's no Burning Crusades equivalent. Or am I missing it? WoW vanilla is nice but if I play on this one I'll miss the BC zones which were a really nice addition. The amount of lore rape was still minimal and limited to the ending and the Dranei space shuttle.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
The effort put into this private server is impressive. I looked at their website, professional and every relevant information you would want to obtain is cleanly exposed. Does it updates the graphics though or is it also the eye bleeder vanilla experience?
No, they haven't modified vanilla client at all. Personally I don't mind the graphics - the cartoony style that WoW went for means that it's not as bad looking as other games that tried the "realistic" look.

It's a shame there's no Burning Crusades equivalent. Or am I missing it? WoW vanilla is nice but if I play on this one I'll miss the BC zones which were a really nice addition. The amount of lore rape was still minimal and limited to the ending and the Dranei space shuttle.
Rumour has it the Nostalrius team will open a Burning Crusade server once the PvP vanilla one is done updating through all the content and then some. So you might get lucky if there is any truth to what people say on the Nost forums.
They have already started recruiting people for the TBC team, which means that they are indeed serious about creating a TBC server in a year or so.

Rolled an Orc Warrior named Mustawd on Nostalrius. Add me bros.
Angpetu is my Tauren shammy, maybe we can even catch each other at somepoint.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have a human rogue named Squared on the PvE server (I know, but I leveled on a PVP server in retail and that was enough of a pain in the ass without 10,000 players)

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Nostalrius just announced that the Dragons of Nightmare and the 1.8 patch will hit the PvP server on 7th February. My NR gear set is done as well, got just over +150 NR which is enough for all encounters in AQ40. HYPE HYPE HYPE!

Weren't all the racial abilities severely in favour of horde for pvp on vanilla wow? And it's still 50-50?
Well, sort of but the edge isn't so massive. Undead can shrug off one fear, tauren have a on-demand stun, orcs have a chance to resist stun effects and trolls get haste when their HP drops. Human can spot hidden, nelves can hide, gnomes can get out of all sorts of mobility-impairing status effects and dwarves can shrug off one poison or bleed effect.

At launch there was no PvE server though, so all the serious raiders went for PvP realm as well and Alliance has a slight edge in PvE. And when the PvE-realm was eventually launched, it started the progression from patch 1.3 again, so not much motivation for any top raiding guild to move over.

It was never the racial abilities that favoured Horde PvP. If anything, those favoured Alliance - the Tauran stun was nice, but spot hidden and auto-hide (especially auto-hide NE meld ability) is better for PvP.

No, Horde had the massage advantage in PvP because they had shamans, and Alliance had paladins. Paladins were better for PvE, and weren't 'bad' for PvP, but shamans were much much better for PvP.

Zetor

Arcane
Actually, will of the forsaken was absolutely brutal in pvp. There's a reason all the "leet" legendary vanilla pvpers (otherguy, laintime, drakedog, undead_rogues_01_through_672, vurtne, ...) were undead. Before pvp trinkets were introduced, it was the ONLY cc break; it also broke things like sap and rocket helmet, plus gave like a 15sec immunity on like a 2min cooldown. With wotf, even a braindead undead rogue could easily 100-0 any alliance priest or warlock... maybe a human soul link warlock could live if they popped everything they had and knew the rogue was coming so they could use perception + felhunter to pop him out of stealth early, but it was an uphill battle.

After pvp trinkets were introduced, wotf became a second trinket (no shared cooldown), which could allow an undead character to save trinket for a stun or any other hard CC, and just use wotf on fear/seduce/mc. Considering that the only AOE cc was fear (from priests, warriors, warlocks), this also meant that an enemy team of mostly-undead characters had the advantage when fearbombing even if the other team played better. It was even worse with diminishing returns (esp when you consider the immunity on wotf), gl getting an undead player feared for more than 3 sec as a warlock.

Tauren aoe stun was another thing that was insanely powerful in any kind of group pvp, especially if the horde team had any cc coordination.

e: wrt alliance racials, shadowmeld may have been ok (never played a nelf) though I think it was only usable out of combat for a while and the provided stealth level was really low, as in "warlock with paranoia will see them from 20+ yards" low. Everything else was mostly crap, stoneform was very situationally useful against rogues and escape artist was almost ok for warriors (it had a casting time + gcd and a chance to fail, though). Those were nothing compared to wotf or warstomp, however.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Have managed to kill two out of the four Emerald Dragons, Kazzak twice and Azuregos once with my guild. Competition for the world bosses on the PvP realm is insane and brutal. Server continues to grow: PvP realm now regularly reaches 12k-13k players and the PvE realm is pretty solidly sitting at 3k players. Dire Maul is out on PvE, PvP is sitting on 1.8 patch and AQ20 just came out on their PTR.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom