Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ WoW Rebirth: a vanilla private server

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really don't quite understand why everyone is rushing to Kronos II now. I mean after what happened to Nostalrius they are bound to get shut down too - and while vanilla is fun levelling characters only to get them erased again sounds like physical pain to me :P

hivemind

the private server scene has been around for years, it's not gonna go away overnight because one server go shut down

also plenty of newfriends are rolling there because big streamers like Kungen and Sodapopping are shilling the legacy servers petition hard so there is a large amount of attention given to vanilla WoW that it otherwise wouldn't have and people want to be a part of the "movement" and experience the hype

But other people is the worst part of MMOs.
retail wow is just for you then

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I really don't quite understand why everyone is rushing to Kronos II now. I mean after what happened to Nostalrius they are bound to get shut down too - and while vanilla is fun levelling characters only to get them erased again sounds like physical pain to me :P

Not necessarily, unless you consider levelling a chore. It's not like they're closing servers every other week, some big ones have been going on for quite some time.

btw is everyone rolling dindu or what?

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Do these servers plan to progress or have the option transfer chars to a TBC server?

TBC > Vanilla >>>>>> everything else

Paladins in horde trigger me to no end. I just can't swallow elves side by side with the forsaken, especially when they are working on the new plague so blatantly. At least I can pretend all UD priests are shadowspecced.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
From what I understand, most of the effort went into coding Vanilla and WotLK servers. To put things into perspective, only one server that I know of (Gamer's District) has the whole Wrathgate/Siege of Undercity questline properly working, and it's been that way for less than a month now. Too bad GD is a 2+year old fun-server. The fact that each individual p. server's team won't 'share' their own code/work with the rest of the developers also greatly 'hindered' any form of 'progress' in a timely manner, where private servers are concerned.

Hell, I've yet to see Nostalrius release their code as of yet, they're probably much busier blowing Blizzard's WoW devs for a chance to work at them, when Corecraft's PTR is 10x the server Nostalrius was (I'm exaggerating, of course, I just don't get why so many people are ignorantly praising Nost as the p.server haven when there were still so many bugs present up until the server's demise, not to mention the abysmal actual gaming experience due to the ridiculously small LoS, people were yelling for a 3rd server daily whereas the devs were to stubborn to accept any money or try to look for new GMs).

It just goes to show just how stubborn most private server 'developers' are, and how desperate most fans of the older WoW are, I guess.
CC has actual issues, of which the most glaring example is that once you step through the Dark Portal, there is no battle going on. Literally the first thing to see/experience. Their vanilla content is not completely scripted either, so the 1-60 experience would be pretty poor. They do have a lot of work left. Which is why some people h ave suggested that they should take the Nost core and use it to
a) make their server capable of hosting 10k+
b) have most vanilla content working

Folks are praising Nost because to many it is their only private server experience. Or the people who were burned by staff skullfuckery on ED and Rebirth and thus enjoyed the far more professional (at least appearing to be so) behaviour and handling of the Nost team.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Much better to play live.

Khorne

Arbiter
Paladins in horde trigger me to no end. I just can't swallow elves side by side with the forsaken, especially when they are working on the new plague so blatantly. At least I can pretend all UD priests are shadowspecced.
THE most annoying thing ever, especially the portal from elftown directly to UC courtyard.
Still, I remember when one of the private server admins gave me GM position not knowing I was evil, I spawned majordomo executors all over UC, killed everything.
Got banned or I resigned shortly after, can't remember, but at least the elves were dealt with.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

The typical MMO mentality is ignoring all the scenery and world design in favor of watching numbers go up as fast as possible. It strikes me as particularly joyless, work-like experience.

I always thought that people who play MMOs like that, don't have an actual job. Because if they did, they would play the game in a way that's actually different from their job.

In short, it's about the journey, not the destination.

Ninjerk

Arcane
<TOWLIEEE SOMETHING SOMETHING BLAH>
(i don't know who any1 is on that server yet)

J1M

Arcane
Mage named Valtyr.

Created a channel called codex for people to find each other.

(/join codex)

Last edited:

Mustawd

The typical MMO mentality is ignoring all the scenery and world design in favor of watching numbers go up as fast as possible. It strikes me as particularly joyless, work-like experience.

I always thought that people who play MMOs like that, don't have an actual job. Because if they did, they would play the game in a way that's actually different from their job.

In short, it's about the journey, not the destination.

Truthiest thing said about MMOs I ever read.

:salute:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Raiding bored me but I did it because it was there. Always preferred five mans, especially the wacky challenges/acheesemints in early Wrath heroics.

catfood

AGAIN
Are you guys playing on Kronos or Kronos 2? Whats the difference?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom