Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ WoW Rebirth: a vanilla private server

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Ellef - Druid.

Need guild name ideas

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
I'm almost 13. Allah willing we will be able to team up for RFC tonight. I bet Willain has to multibox several alts to run dungeons on Rebirth.

J1M

Arcane
You can use original WoW discs to install. Would also need to grab the incremental patches off a site like gamershell.com with that method.

Mage is 15.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Well, something is happening with them Nostalrius folk.
http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44031

The last few weeks have been full of exciting events that we did not anticipate. We saw the first official answer from J. Allen Brack on the topic of legacy servers, the petition reached 250.000 signatures, and we are currently scheduling a meeting at Blizzard campus!

We are very excited to be able to help Blizzard understand the part of their community asking for legacy servers and many other related topics, in the hope that they will eventually make it possible to legally play previous game expansions.

Since these events are major changes regarding the legacy server scene, completely changing our former strategy, we have several announcements today:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Um... nothing is happening. All you're seeing here is a bunch of wishful folks trying to trump up their self-importance about their upcoming 'discussions' with Blizzard (which probably won't amount to anything). Them getting an invitation to Blizzard is merely a PR stunt. Blizzard will say 'thanks for the feedback, don't call us, we'll call you.'

So, really, before people start buying into their hyperbole let's see something ACTUALLY happen like... I dunno Blizzard announcing legacy servers.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Cuck cuck dank meme pleb!

#howtospeakmillenial

I couldn't care less about Blizzard but it's sort of odd to see esteemed Codexian falling for this kind of thing without anything substantive happening. I think the guy who created Steam plus or whatever that extended script thing to the Steam web client was (showed historical sale prices, etc.) had a meeting with Valve and in the end all they did was 'borrow' a few of his ideas and send him on his merry way. Let's be realistic. In one corner is the multi-billion dollar corporation that owns the IP. In the other are a few neckbeards and an e-petition (lol) of 250k people (I don't even know if you can verify it's actually 250k unique individuals).

Who do you think will be deciding things here?

And just to be clear -- I would personally love official Blizzard legacy servers because I don't care to dick around with all the downsides of private ones.

Last edited:

hivemind

I really don't know tbh.

On one hand it can very easily be just a marketing ploy before the movie release, but on the other hand the amount of attention they have been getting about the legacy server stuff could imo be enough to actually make them crack.

Like I mentioned this a few times but the top WoW stream(and by a large margin) for the past few weeks has been Kungen literally just sitting there and being nostalgic/openly shitting on retail wow day after day and like a dozen of the biggest twitch streamers have signed up saying that they would stream legacy if it launched.

Also about the lol petition of 250K, how many signatures did the Dark Souls PC port one get in the end ?

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Even if Blizz considers making legacy servers at some point, they will definitely not give us anything tangible just yet. Not right before the big movie/expansion push. I would guess they want to put all this private server shitstorm behind them as soon as possible, which means huge realms like Kronos should be safe for time being.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Blizzard is the 800 pound gorilla who does what it wants when it wants.
Also about the lol petition of 250K, how many signatures did the Dark Souls PC port one get in the end ?
Apples and Oranges. Porting one of your games to another platform and reaping a ton of PC sales has a far greater revenue yield than setting up legacy servers to cater to what may or may not be 200,000 potential subscribers.

J1M

Arcane
On the other hand it is entirely possible that some VP wants to hear from these kids in Europe because he feels like he can't trust the information he receives internally about what players want.

Year after year of declining subscriptions must have at least one person on the WoW team worried about his job.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
And just to be clear -- I would personally love official Blizzard legacy servers because I don't care to dick around with all the downsides of private ones.

Damn you sounded pretty close to joining us.

Room for one more dps
Simpsons-Join-Us.gif

Mustawd

Must resist....urge...to make...character. Don't have...tons of hours...to kill...gahhh!

negativeman.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom