Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ WoW Rebirth: a vanilla private server

After checking out both servers I think ED would be the superior choice, rebirth may be slightly better in the script and Blizz like department, however the population seems to be only a small fraction of that of ED. For example I just checked stormwind city this evening on both servers, 50+ people in SW on ED and 5 including me in rebirth, sure it's only one sample, but for example looking in the auction house supports there being a very large population disparity. Checking one handed weapons there were only one or two weapons of each category on rebirth, while ED has in some cases several full pages of items per category.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Personally I'm sticking with rebirth - their developers seem to be more active than ED, the scripting is better (which is a huge deal for me), and the server is more stable. As long as there are enough people to raid, and there are, I'll be satisfied with Rebirth.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Honestly, ED was a lot better than this population wise and mob placement on Rebirth is just plain bad. By the time you get to STV there's going to be no one on. I also don't like that Horde and Alliance can talk to one another in General (I know this is due to population, but still).

EDIT: Another thing I noticed, there's hardly any forum activity. Not a good sign for lategame economy.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Was going to check this out with Scrooge a while ago as I was stuck on a Mac but I couldn't find a working vanilla Mac client out there. N-e-ways I'm picking up my new PC on Monday so while I might give this a shot there's about 20+ supah-graphixxx AAA games I can now play instead.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I was wrong, my mage is 56. Fuck Rebirth. Checked the Auction House earlier today and there were 1000 something items (and they made the AH universal because of population being so low, so between Alliance and Horde there's only 1000 items listed total) vs. 5000 items on Emerald Dream Horde alone. If anyone would like to join me on ED, my mage's name is Ninjerk.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Rebirth sucks. A few months ago I tried it and they had all kinds of game-breaking bugs. Improper enemy difficulty scaling, enemies rubberbanding because cold spells didn't change their movement speed properly, and other junk I forget. I filed something like 3 tickets, and all the answers were "we are aware of these problems".

Then Rebirth went down for something like 3 weeks, together with website. It reappeared quietly like nothing happened.

By that time I found a server "Valkyrie", filled with Russians it appears, which is just like Rebirth minus all the problems. Same kind of population, hovering between 100-200 people. Type ".s in" in chat window to see server stats.

http://valkyrie-wow.com/

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I don't know what that means since that doesn't look like proper English. However, whatever problems they have, chances are, Rebirth has them too. Plus a lot more.

Ninjerk

Arcane
They don't track progression. I don't think Rebirth does, either. That's unusual. Rather, i should say there aren't any players tracking it. I'd venture a guess there aren't enough to care.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Sorry, I thought you were familiar with these games. Players tend to track raid progression so people who are looking at the server for whatever reason will know how healthy the raiding community is. The healthier the raiding community, the more likely a person might be to roll a fresh character on the server or, in retail WoW, transfer their characters there (generally speaking, unless they want to be a big fish in a little pond). There is no such thing as progression threat, OP is just a moron.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I participated in about 0.5 raids since the inception of WoW, which I "played" very casually for many years with just one character. Since the game is a glorified screensaver I used it as such... watching murlocs frolick on a Westfall beach, stuff like that.

Can't take a game "seriously" where everything horrendously lags due to usage of TCP/IP instead of UDP. Playing it with two laptops in the same room is an eye-opening experience as you can see how long it takes for it to mirror the other player's actions even with low ping.

The kiddies who would kick me out of the group for not having enough l33t items to raid with them, were another factor.

So the game was never about raiding for me... that's not why I played MMOs. It's about running around the scenery watching other people slay monsters, grouping, helping them out, that sort of stuff. And of course, watching murlocs frolick.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Raiding in vanilla WoW is like slamming your nuts in a car door.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Still a shitty experience that people remember way too fondly out of nostalgia.

Say what you want about nostalgia but I'm having some fun on rebirth, and while old wow is fairly pop a mole it is considerably more fun to play than modern ultra stream lines wow.

Ad2ZsEH.jpg

Hogger raid

Xenich

Cipher
Still a shitty experience that people remember way too fondly out of nostalgia.

What I remember fondly about the early game was the open play. My friends played different races, they the knight elf, I a dwarf. So, I ran at starting level all the way to the night elf area to join them. The game was open ended, much like EQ was. It was the feeling of openness, exploration, mystery.. etc... I have felt this with very few games and that feeling was less and less as time went on (ie as newer games came out). The reason is... they fucking killed open immersion. They raped the concept of open world. And while WoW is a "theme park" game, it still had (back then, now it is the fucking cancer of today) a certain level of openness and freedom. These days? The fucking games are on rails. No choices, no thinking, no mystery or exploration... simply Go fucking here, do this, do that... then be ALLOWED to go there, do this and do that, etc... rinse and repeat. Add in the fact that you didn't jump 5 levels for logging in and the game felt like a big world. Games these days feel like commercial gimmicks and they are successful because the majority of the population are fucking morons.

Xenich

Cipher

Compared to raiding in WoW these days where skilless fucking morons roll their face over the keyboard and instantly win "teh kewl l33t lewt" for doing nothing more than processing air?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I'm enjoying Rebirth. I like that the population is rather modest yet I still find people to group with for quests. So I'll stick around some more. If you guys have more fun on Emerald Dream, then all the best for you.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Compared to raiding in WoW these days where skilless fucking morons roll their face over the keyboard and instantly win "teh kewl l33t lewt" for doing nothing more than processing air?

With 40 man raids half the people comprising them were skilless fucking morons rolling their face over the keyboard. Again… maybe this is nostalgia clouding your memory. Raid fights in vanilla didn't get very involved until Naxxramus with only a few exceptions in the earlier content (usually the very last bosses like Ragnaros, Nef, and C'Thun… maybe Twin Emps). Rest of the boss fights were very basic. I agree that the 'over world/leveling' experience was much better and less railroaded but the raids were definitely worse. It's not even close. And don't compare them to 'Looking For Raid' difficulty. I hardly think you can 'face roll' in normal difficulty raids in current WoW. You certainly couldn't in TBC and Wrath and mechanics have only gotten more elaborate.

Don Peste

Arcane
Can you play in both servers using the same client download?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom