Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ WoW Rebirth: a vanilla private server

bloodlover

Arcane
This is making me really curious, (and nostalgic) but leveling a toon from nothing, no looms, no early mounts etc would probably feel painful. I don't even remember how to spec certain classes lol

I might go for the classic undead or human mage, just for the lulz. Everyone playing horde?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Did they fix the issue with frozen enemies teleporting to you everytime? And a dozen other issues in early game?

Because the Valkyrie server didn't have these in the first place.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just encountered a bug in Moonbrook, near Dead Mines, where the Defias taunts are corrupt and every time they spot you the game gives you a warning. I had the same exact bug in the original vanilla. So i guess everything that was broken in vanilla is still broken. Then again, can they even fix that stuff? I'm not even sure how those servers work.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Did they fix the issue with frozen enemies teleporting to you everytime? And a dozen other issues in early game?

Mobs aren't teleporting per se, it'll take just as long to reach you as it'd without the "teleport". It's just a visual glitch though I don't know if it exists currently as I've not playing any class that such would occur with currently. As for dozen early game issues, I've got no idea what you're talking about.

Ninjerk

Arcane
This is making me really curious, (and nostalgic) but leveling a toon from nothing, no looms, no early mounts etc would probably feel painful. I don't even remember how to spec certain classes lol

I might go for the classic undead or human mage, just for the lulz. Everyone playing horde?
Alliance.

Don Peste

Arcane
I've made a new character at ED. Orbaz, human warrior, blacksmith. I recruited a friend, too.

PS: Post your addons!!!

Ninjerk

Arcane
It seems ED is going down the tubes. Rebirth should OK unless there's a mass migration.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Mobs aren't teleporting per se, it'll take just as long to reach you as it'd without the "teleport". It's just a visual glitch though I don't know if it exists currently as I've not playing any class that such would occur with currently. As for dozen early game issues, I've got no idea what you're talking about.

Dude, I'm aware of the underlying reason and completely don't care for it. The end result for me as player is that they teleport, and as a cold mage, it was a constant pain in the ass.

As for other issues, I reported about half a dozen while getting to level 10, each time the GM appeared and said "yeah I'm aware of it, we're fixing it" and nothing was done. Then the server completely went offline, with the website, for at least two weeks. "Oopsie".

By that time I migrated to Valkyrie, which is a genuine classic WoW server minus most of the problems I encountered on Rebirth. I don't know if the strength of Rebirth is in the "raiding" but as a casual player I barely ever did that. The appeal of an MMO to me is running in a vast expansive world alongside other players, not waiting in a queue for hours to blow through a linear area with a group Diablo-style.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Naga, enough of your hyping of Valkyrie. It's like you're on commission!

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
As for other issues, I reported about half a dozen while getting to level 10, each time the GM appeared and said "yeah I'm aware of it, we're fixing it" and nothing was done. Then the server completely went offline, with the website, for at least two weeks. "Oopsie".

I have to wonder what "2 week offline" period you're talking about. The last time there was any prolonged downtime was in 2012 and that was due to ownership change (Legal reasons) which was well reported on all alternative community areas. After that the server hasn't had any extensive downtime and while the old website had issues that never got finished and were bogged down/slow mess for a while due to forementioned legal reasons+ownership change all of those have been fixed for ages now with introduction of the new site

And I still wonder what arbitary issues you reported. I'm fairly sure I could log in on Valkyrie right now and start listing bugs from get-go if I wanted to nitpick over some non-game breaking details. I can see how the slowed mob "teleport" could be annoying but eh, that's the only thing of substance so far and even that's just a visual issue.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I know the human mage level 10 quest is bugged, maybe that's what he's talking about. So far I've had minimal issues, mostly pathing-related and those are only mildly annoying. I've run into all of 3 bugged quests that couldn't be completed out of who knows how many, 2 of which I probably wouldn't have been able to solo anyway so it's not really a big loss. That is fairly incredible for a private server.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
You can always file a ticket for GMs with quest issues. They tend to be really fast with those.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Honestly I'm amazed a private server would even offer GM support in the first place. They take around a day or more to answer on an actual WoW server and Blizzard rakes in hundreds of millions a year.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Retail WoW also has millions of players per region, while with private servers it's just a few hundred to a few thousand at most.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I know the human mage level 10 quest is bugged, maybe that's what he's talking about. So far I've had minimal issues, mostly pathing-related and those are only mildly annoying. I've run into all of 3 bugged quests that couldn't be completed out of who knows how many, 2 of which I probably wouldn't have been able to solo anyway so it's not really a big loss. That is fairly incredible for a private server.
I believe the pathfinding is different enough that it makes certain frost mage AoE leveling spots impossible because the mobs can teleport to you and daze you.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I have to wonder what "2 week offline" period you're talking about. The last time there was any prolonged downtime was in 2012 and that was due to ownership change (Legal reasons) which was well reported on all alternative community areas. After that the server hasn't had any extensive downtime and while the old website had issues that never got finished and were bogged down/slow mess for a while due to forementioned legal reasons+ownership change all of those have been fixed for ages now with introduction of the new site

Yeah it happened sometime in 2013, and the site never documented the outage. Both server and site just went down, disappeared, and the site two weeks later (or more) came up like nothing happened. No updates, nothing. By that time I was already on Valkyrie.

And I still wonder what arbitary issues you reported.

Sadly I dumped that menial information from my memory.

I'm fairly sure I could log in on Valkyrie right now and start listing bugs from get-go if I wanted to nitpick over some non-game breaking details. I can see how the slowed mob "teleport" could be annoying but eh, that's the only thing of substance so far and even that's just a visual issue.

It's not just annoying but goddamn retarded, when as a cold mage I start every fight with an ice bolt. It's funny that you admit it still hasn't been fixed, after many months of me encountering it, when Valkyrie simply didn't have this problem even back then. Shoddy scripting at its finest.

I also remember the GM admitting the player DPS vs. monster health ratio at low levels was all wrong, when I compared how many shots it took in WoW to down various monsters at the low-leveling stage. He said they were mostly focusing on higher level fixes.

All in all, it was all "we're aware of the issue and it is pending a fix sometime never" sort of thing. Really, I don't know why Valkyrie doesn't get the good PR it deserves. It just seems more competently made.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
175095_v1.jpg

Xor

Arcane
I believe the pathfinding is different enough that it makes certain frost mage AoE leveling spots impossible because the mobs can teleport to you and daze you.
AOE grinding is cheap anyway. Just quest like a real man.

All in all, it was all "we're aware of the issue and it is pending a fix sometime never" sort of thing. Really, I don't know why Valkyrie doesn't get the good PR it deserves. It just seems more competently made.
What do you want them to say? That they're aware of the issue and they're not planning on fixing it? Or that they weren't aware of the issue until you enlightened them? As someone playing on this server, I don't really care if the first 10 levels are rocky because mob HP is wrong or something (which it isn't). You only spend a few hours getting to level 10, while the last 20 levels take days. Like all private servers, there are only a handful of people working on scripting and they have to prioritize what they work on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom