Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WTF has happened to this forum

Telengard

Arcane
I couldn't pay much attention to the Codex for a while, and now that I can I find people talking about Skyrim and such shit in all threads. WTF has happened, have we lost this base? Are we gathering in some other forum now? Somebody please let me know about our new meeting place, I was accidentally left behind.
Nothing's changed. Nothing ever changes.

Codex just came out of the closet.
qsFKYrl.png

C5v2qmN.png

Welcome to a place where people talk a bunch of shit they don't actually believe in order to score brownie points called brofists, just a like a bunch of other favored haunts of the Facebook Generation. And the Codexians are that type of nerd of the Facebook Generation who likes to pretend they're the edgy hepcats with tip top opinions, instead of being the boring old commonplace Star Wars/LOTR nerds that they are.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"Hey look how a couple of codexers play a shit game, obviously those must be the same ones that criticized it, and they also are representative of the whole therefore making every codexer a hypocrite!"
I wonder who's pretending to be the "edgy hepcat with tip top opinions" here.

Telengard

Arcane
"Hey look how a couple of codexers play a shit game, obviously those must be the same ones that criticized it, and they also are representative of the whole therefore making every codexer a hypocrite!"
I wonder who's pretending to be the "edgy hepcat with tip top opinions" here.
I'm not part of the Steam Brigade, so I guess you'll never know if I like Fallout IV or not*.

* Actually I hate Morrowhinge and Boredguard and Daggerfailure too, and have been quite open about it in many a thread. So, it's not like I took a stand or anything not playing Oblivion, Skyrim, or Fallout III and IV. I was never going to play any of them anyways, even before the Codexian hate boner.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm not part of the Steam Brigade, so I guess you'll never know if I like Fallout IV or not*.
So quick to defend yourself, you missed my point. I don't care what game you like.

The point is that you're too quick to generalize from an anecdotal number of codexers playing F4 and posting about it, that the Codex as a whole now likes shit games and has declined, yet pretends to like :obviously: games for brofists. Truth is, there will always be diverging opinions; they are more visible now because there are more members on the forum is all. Moreover, if the tastes of everyone on this forum were the same, that would be true decline.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
^ Fucking hypocrite you are, finding out things are shit first hand. I bet you like to suck dick too.

:troll:

Telengard

Arcane
So quick to defend yourself, you missed my point. I don't care what game you like.

The point is that you're too quick to generalize from an anecdotal number of codexers playing F4 and posting about it, that the Codex as a whole now likes shit games and has declined, yet pretends to like :obviously: games for brofists. Truth is, there will always be diverging opinions; they are more visible now because there are more members on the forum is all. Moreover, if the tastes of everyone on this forum were the same, that would be true decline.
Apparently you missed my point. The Codex hasn't declined. The Codex is what it always has been - a bunch of people who pretend to want deeper, more meaningful games on here, and then logoff to post 1000s of hours in Bethesduh games, and 0 hours in any actual deeper game. This pattern isn't even just true of the Codex, it's true of the entire internet. Here in fair Codexia, hating on Bethesduh even as you play all their games to death is just the sort of thing people do to make yourself look cool and old school, 'cause that's the culture here in this place. And people (tribal creatures that they are) want to fit and be thought of as cool by their mates. That desire does tend to fade as you get older, though, particularly if you're an opinionated dick, like me.

But wait, I haven't actually given my opinion yet. Well, I'll change that now. My opinion is: Bethesduh is a cunning (not a smart) game company who took all the super dumb but popular ideas (like experience by use) that nerds kept saying over and over that they wanted in their rpgs, even though those ideas don't really work in rpgs, and really don't work when put together in rpgs, and Bethesduh took all those dumb but popular ideas and kludged them together, making an absolute mess. But a mess that works as best as it can. It's a mess, and it can't be anything but a mess, but it's the mess you all pleaded with them to make and that is terribly popular in its messiness.

And so, do I blame Bethesduh for this mess? No, they're just in the business of selling you all what you want. Do I mean the masses are being pleased rather than the superior Codex? No, as I illustrated above, they are pleasing very much of the Codex too. Do I think that this is a dead end for game development that the industry shouldn't have gone down, as it is now sucking vast amount of development resources into a gigantic black hole that will never be anything more than a gigantic pile of dumb? Yes, I very much do. But, hey, that's just an opinion man*.

* And by that, I mean the correct opinion.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
The Codex is what it always has been - a bunch of people who pretend to want deeper, more meaningful games on here, and then logoff to post 1000s of hours in Bethesduh games, and 0 hours in any actual deeper game.
Perceived decline or not, this is simply untrue. The Codex is not just simply a pretend-circlejerk about gentlemen with monocled tastes. This is the meme. That you want to label everyone here a hypocrite on account of some codexers playing or even liking shallow games, or even on account of some wanting deep games and enjoying some mindless fun now and again, is ridiculous.

Even if we circlejerk for the lulz some of the time, we could've circlejerked somewhere else more in line with our tastes if most of us didn't enjoy solid RPGs. Take a look at the forum posts; many here are highly knowledgeable in many fields and highly articulate. This is not the dumb crowd you pretend it is. What is dumb is imposing a too high standard on what is acceptable to play and like for what it is, and then use the fact that the standard is an unfollowable ideal to argue that everyone here are popamole-loving two-faced retards.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The Codex hasn't declined. The Codex is what it always has been - a bunch of people who pretend to want deeper, more meaningful games on here, and then logoff to post 1000s of hours in Bethesduh games, and 0 hours in any actual deeper game.

How about the next time you get the urge to post "The Codex is...", refrain from hitting the post reply button and shove a packet of razorblades down your throat instead. You have zero fucking qualifications to speak on the behalf of "us".

The Codex is - a bunch of
nazis
faggots
furries
commies
niggers
spics
womyn
trannies
jews
koala-fuckers
kangaroo-fisters
weaboos
pedos
swedes

...fucking nerds playing
wargames
D&D
blobbers
minis
crpgs
jrpgs
wrpgs
xrpgs
yrpgs
casual shit games
with their tiny dicks

The Codex is, and always has been: a collection of diverse people with diverse opinions, most of them being shit. Often involving RPGs.

What Codex is not, is a place where any fucking dumbfuck can casually waltz in and define it in accordance to their narrow subhuman worldview.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I couldn't pay much attention to the Codex for a while, and now that I can I find people talking about Skyrim and such shit in all threads.
You're just noticing this? There are actually people here who think Morrowind was a great RPG instead of a broken, poorly-animated walking sim and they've been here for years.

"Hey, go walk in that room 20 feet away from me and pick up book from a chest! Congratulations, you are now a <insert rank> of the mage's guild!"

A game that showcased one mildly complex quest (Fargoth) and then half-assed the rest of the game, and it's on our Codex Best RPGs of All Time list.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Codex has been eagerly awaiting and playing Bethesda games at least since 2007. Skyrim was popular here before it even released. I have no idea where you got this notion that this forum is some hardcore community that doesn't jerk off to anime and shower Todd with money.
Correct.

There was a Somali Swedish poster baronjohn who made a thread "Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way possible" upon the release of Skyrim and it got 100+ pages in the first week. Baronjohn himself clocked a mere 200 hours on Skyrim (as per his Steam), and complained about it every step of the way.

By contrast, make a Wizardry or Might and Magic thread, and it will fill up 10 pages....in 10 years.

Mass Effect also has produced more megathreads than any other game in Codex history, and RK47's Mass Effect playthroughs are the most read on the site.

By contrast, make a ToEE Let's Play and there will be 2-3 people who follow it.

Same applies to Codex interest in other forms of entertainment. Everyone here hates Game of Thrones which has the largest TV show thread here. Make a thread about Patrick McGoohan's the Prisoner and only 5 people follow it.

I may also add that the edgiest posters are from the Third World - Skyway from Ukraine, baronjohn from Somalia, circ from Arab refugees in Finland, pre-2012 me from India (I am no longer edgy), laclonquan from Vietnam, hiver from Balkans,.etc. Being edgy about videogames is the only sense of superiority you get from being born in a Third World shithole. First Worlders don't need to prove how intelligent they are from the adult children's entertainment they consume.

Trashos

Arcane
The Codex is, and always has been: a collection of diverse people with diverse opinions, most of them being shit. Often involving RPGs.

What Codex is not, is a place where any fucking dumbfuck can casually waltz in and define it in accordance to their narrow subhuman worldview.

All right then, being relatively new and all, I did not realise that the Codex is a place that preaches tolerance and inclusiveness.

What is dumb is imposing a too high standard on what is acceptable to play and like for what it is, and then use the fact that the standard is an unfollowable ideal to argue that everyone here are popamole-loving two-faced retards.

What is too high a standard, in your opinion? If the tragically dumbed-down games that are acceptable everywhere else are acceptable here as well, then the Codex simply has no standards. Should that be the case?

laclongquan

Arcane
But wait, I haven't actually given my opinion yet. Well, I'll change that now. My opinion is: Bethesduh is a cunning (not a smart) game company who took all the super dumb but popular ideas (like experience by use) that nerds kept saying over and over that they wanted in their rpgs, even though those ideas don't really work in rpgs, and really don't work when put together in rpgs, and Bethesduh took all those dumb but popular ideas and kludged them together, making an absolute mess. But a mess that works as best as it can. It's a mess, and it can't be anything but a mess, but it's the mess you all pleaded with them to make and that is terribly popular in its messiness.

This

Bethesda's shit level of writing quality is not there by accident, but by designs. There's a cunning mastermind somewhere in the bowel of that corporation, putting his/her tentacle in every aspect that deal with displayed text. It's to ensure every text displayed share the same level of quality writings exhibited in both Oblivion, Skyrim, and Morrowind.

Obsidian will not get a Fallout 4 deal like FNV because they escape the writing quality control once. Bethesda will not allow another escape like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom