Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mage's Tale - inXile VR game set in the Bard's Tale universe

Potato Canon

Novice
As a Vive owner, I'm slightly irritated by Oculus exclusives, but they can usually run OK on the Vive with ReVive, and I believe the exclusivity period is only like six months. A positive thing you can say about Oculus and Sony is they invest in a lot of VR games, and HTC and Valve have seriously dropped the ball on that.

The footage of Mage's Tale looks OK but developers fall into a VR trap of basing game play around the novelty of the input devices, pointing and throwing things with controllers, and proper game design usually takes a back seat. I look forward to when VR games move past this period. So we'll see I guess.

It could actually be a minor hit for inXile. The VR market is very tiny, but on the other hand, there's so few complete polished titles that if it is halfway decent, almost everyone with an HMD will buy it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
As a Vive owner, I'm slightly irritated by Oculus exclusives, but they can usually run OK on the Vive with ReVive, and I believe the exclusivity period is only like six months. A positive thing you can say about Oculus and Sony is they invest in a lot of VR games, and HTC and Valve have seriously dropped the ball on that.

The footage of Mage's Tale looks OK but developers fall into a VR trap of basing game play around the novelty of the input devices, pointing and throwing things with controllers, and proper game design usually takes a back seat. I look forward to when VR games move past this period. So we'll see I guess.

It could actually be a minor hit for inXile. The VR market is very tiny, but on the other hand, there's so few complete polished titles that if it is halfway decent, almost everyone with an HMD will buy it.
All 10 000 people :lol::lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Fans of dungeon crawlers and RPGs, rejoice—The Mage’s Tale is now open for pre-orders on the Oculus Store!

In true RPG fashion, you start out as an apprentice who must vanquish a series of foes and learn to command the mystic arts in order to save your master, Mage Alguin, from the evil wizard Gaufroi. Whether you’re into frenetic fight scenes, beguiling puzzles, or free-form exploration, The Mage’s Tale offers balanced gameplay to suit a number of play styles—all while wielding the elemental powers in the palm of your hand.

The Mage’s Tale brings spellbinding adventure to life on June 20. Visit https://www.oculus.com/experiences/ri... to pre-order now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2sccBBHets&lc=z12vvzfghxq2fnprk04cj1caaxfjgxdz5us0k

The game will be coming to Vive at a later date!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
lul, there's even need for different versions for different VR sets. Yeah, this shit is gonna go great.

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
https://uploadvr.com/mages-tale-review-oculus-rpg/

Positives
- Engrossing 10+ hour long adventure
- Addictive spellcrafting system
- Intense combat and boss battles
- Clever iterations on dungeon crawlers of year's past

Negatives
- Movement system feels restrictive at first
- A little more precision would have been nice
- Aiming in combat doesn't feel entirely natural

UploadVR tends to be very generous with their reviews though.

Renevent

Cipher
Actually looks pretty fun, def would buy it...except it's an Oculus exclusive. I really hope Oculus sinks at some point they're fragmenting an already small market and that's shitty. Last I've heard Vive outsold them 2 to 1 so maybe that's a real possibility.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
VR is supposed to be the "ultimate immersive experience" right? Then why do most all first person VR games feature disconnected ghost hands? That's not fucking immersive.

Renevent

Cipher
VR is supposed to be the "ultimate immersive experience" right? Then why do most all first person VR games feature disconnected ghost hands? That's not fucking immersive.

I don't know if you've ever tried it but yeah, VR is pretty fucking immersive. I've had dozens of people try my Vive and there's yet to be a single person that didn't go "woah...holy shit" when they put on the goggles and looked down at their virtual hands.

BTW, not all games have ghost hands, a lot have fully shown arms/body. The problem with that is while the game will know where your hands are and can kinda guess what your arms should be doing it's not perfect. Depending how you are bending your elbows and the position of your shoulders in game it doesn't always translate to how your arms are actually positioned.

Last edited:

Renevent

Cipher
I don't know if you've ever tried it but yeah, VR is pretty fucking immersive.

I have and it's not. /thread

You haven't, or you tried some knock off bullshit phone VR. Either that or maybe your cataracts are messing with your ability to immerse into it.

"You don't like it you must be retarded"

:roll:

I don't care you don't like it, but it's a very immersive experience. Nothing up to this point in the digital gaming world comes even close.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I don't care you don't like it, but it's a very immersive experience. Nothing up to this point in the digital gaming world comes even close.

Being dipped in a vat of hydrochloric acid is also "a very immersive experience"

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Dude, this VR shit is already dead and it didn't even live.

I don't even know what they're expecting everyone to buy all that shit? It's the perfect thing for popamolers and the LCD so in theory it should work great, but the barrier is way too high.
you're only half right.
it's the controls.
suppose i had the money to buy a vr set and was brain dead. i'd buy it and maybe 1 game and then sell it as fast as i could on ebay even for half price cause of the controls.
it should be obvious even to the dullest blades that the controls will break any immersion, defeating the purpose unless you're going for a no touch private strip show kinda game, in which case, may i suggest getting some real, touchable, fuckable hookers. they should be less expensive.
not only that, but you'd probably have to bang the "wii controler" against the wall every few sword swings in a "skyrim-like game" out of sheer frustration over lack of physical feedback from your sword swings.
plus, we're not wearing our lcds around our necks or as hats or hanging from our eyes. i'd be interested to hear from someone with a vr set how tiresome it becomes to wear it and how fast?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom