Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WWI - WWII occult/horror games ?

Explorerbc

Arcane
I was looking for any games with horror - occult elements set during that period. I always liked the combination of the real-life horrors those wars produced with some paranormal additions, but I can't find a lot of games that use such a setting.

WW1
-Necrovision and Necrovision:Lost Company: Pretty cool old-school shooters, very good atmosphere especially in the early stages before you leave the battlefield
-Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land : I was pretty excited about this one but after playing the first stage the whole mobile interface put me off and I never touched it again.

WW2
-Wolfenstein
-CoD - Nazi Zombies
: Spent many hours on the first iteration with friends and it seems with every new release they add characters and lore now but I'm not gonna shell out 60$ every year for a side mode.
-Sniper Elite Nazi Zombies: poor man's cod nazi zombies ?
-Bloodrayne
-Prisoner of Ice

Anything else ?

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Castlevania: Bloodlines.

Castlevania_MD_Stage4.png

0.jpg

19.jpg

Frankenstein's monster is the boss of the Nazi factory stage.

The game takes place in 1917, supposedly.

In general I'd look Japanese since they tend to have the fascination for both Nazis and the occult.

Raiders of the Lost Ark, obviously. But there might be some Indy knock offs somewhere that I'm forgetting.

White Wolf published a couple of splat books that deal with the period, especially Wraith, Mage and Werewolf.

pic1651197.jpg

Last edited:

TheRedSnifit

Educated
I guess it depends on how loosely you define "WWII game" and "horror," but the Metal Slug games have a WWII aesthetic (they parody games at the time that had Nazis as enemies but didn't call them Nazis for censorship purposes) and some of them have zombies, aliens, cultists, etc.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Another option is Deadfall Adventures, which comes from the Negrovision devs in fact, although it's more Indiana Jones-y than horror/occult.

Speaking of which, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis would also fit the above category obv.

Since most of the obvious ones have been mentioned

The Darkness has a couple of chapters set in WW1

Ad Infinitum is an "atmospheric single-player horror game, which puts you into a World War I setting experienced in a first-person perspective" still in development

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army and it's sequel Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2 - Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon are action RPGs that take place in post WW1 grorious Nippon. I never could get into the first, though the second is supposed to be much, much better. I wouldn't know though, because I am unable to play games out of sequence.
:negative:

Didn't The Saboteur have some allusions to paranormal shit, even if it wasn't at the forefront? Been a while since I played, and I was pretty stoned at that time, so I might be misremembering.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Operation Darkness? https://www.wired.com/2007/09/operation-darkn/

I dont' know much, but I remember it popping up on a demo disc I played probably 10 years ago.

Operation: Darkness is quite awesome, and definitely captures the Nazi occult vibe.

Its gameplay takes a little getting used to, though, as the way it actually plays is different than what your instincts may tell you (i.e. in Operation: Darkness, you're often better off sending your soldiers into battle with a bayonet and a couple of grenades instead of with a firearm). Also, the camera is not the greatest.

10734_medium.jpg

Modron

Arcane
Didn't The Saboteur have some allusions to paranormal shit, even if it wasn't at the forefront? Been a while since I played, and I was pretty stoned at that time, so I might be misremembering.
They need to make that game available for purchase again, this whole only pay for 2 years worth of song use and then remove game trend has got to end.

They need to make that game available for purchase again, this whole only pay for 2 years worth of song use and then remove game trend has got to end.

It was added to Gog's catalogue a few months ago.

https://af.gog.com/game/saboteur?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom