Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, it'd be great if you could clear out the < 10 Xenon sectors just once, and then they'd never respawn ever again. :roll:

No matter how much freedom the X games give to the player, someone, somewhere will be unhappy with it, apparently not realizing that there are certain limitations and considerations that the developers must take into account.

Mods exist (and have existed for many years) that allow you to take over stations and possibly sectors, but did it ever occur to you that maybe there are Xenon living on that planet in the background who can launch more stations and manufacture more ships?

Thane Solus

Arcane
X3 is one of those games that without mods, the high end game is empty beside statics plots and tons of bugs + poor performance, but there are mods for invasions, sector take overs and so on.

X-Refail - is even worse, without mods there is no game. They are working on x4 now, man the epic fail that will turn into, 10% chance that it will turn into a decent game. For those that know a bit about about X trilogy, know that X3 is actually a cashgrab with an improved engine, but with lots of the assets from X2, from sounds, vids, voice overs and probably a few models too. They didnt even bother to make cockpits, cause that takes time, even after 2 major expansions with shity plots. The writings were on the wall since x3 reunion. I dont even want to talk about community programmers and scripters fixing the game and screaming for months even years at the Developers to fix major things, with them at the helm for free, or just giving them the scripts... Half of X3 AP is made by modders lol. Devs toke some of these and asked money for it ... They are a disgusting company and i hope they burn, even if we need games like this...

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I see no reason to be butthurt over recycled assets, let the devs spend their time on making new stuff instead of re-doing old content.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Calling X3 a cash grab is a bit of a stretch. When's the last time you compared X2 ships to X3 ships? There are significantly more of them (in vanilla X3, mind you), and they're far better designed. A lot of X2's ships were pretty damned Prosperian, and so were the cockpits, for that matter. Hell, a bunch of the ships in X3 are pretty much palette swaps/the same hull with different greebles stuck on.

EGOSOFT certainly did make some retarded decisions, no doubt about it, but aside from Avorion there's nothing else out there.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
X3 is not a cashgrab. They started working on an expansion for X2, but realized they were adding lots of new stuff and changing the look of it that they dwcided to just make a new game out of it.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Calling X3 a cash grab is a bit of a stretch. When's the last time you compared X2 ships to X3 ships? There are significantly more of them (in vanilla X3, mind you), and they're far better designed. A lot of X2's ships were pretty damned Prosperian, and so were the cockpits, for that matter. Hell, a bunch of the ships in X3 are pretty much palette swaps/the same hull with different greebles stuck on.

EGOSOFT certainly did make some retarded decisions, no doubt about it, but aside from Avorion there's nothing else out there.

Yeah it could a bit of stretch, and yes they were lucky they had no competition and still failed superbly. Imagine these fucking games without mods... I remember, reaching mid-high end, and wanted to go on a killing spree, because they cannot in pathfinding, collision and so on. All that time lost to see that capital ship combat, fighter wings were almost impossible without bounce and other fixes...

Thane Solus

Arcane
I see no reason to be butthurt over recycled assets, let the devs spend their time on making new stuff instead of re-doing old content.

very few. i barely can remember two games that reused so many assets, from a previous game when making a major sequel... besides maybe Baldurs Gate 2. They are not that bad in the end, besides those awfull pilot voices /videos and their scripts, but is just shows how cheap they went. Most of the money went into the engine and models, and even there they failed, or they didnt had more money to continue (who knows...). Even today x3 ap its kinda shity on performance on high end computers, without some "mods" and tweaks and even then...you experience some stupid lag in large battles or when undocking from a fucking military post.

Now contrary to retards on codex like sully, added and many others, i like the game, but after 3 games i expected much more, at least on polish and performance, and not necessarily on the missing features like high end dynamic wars, sector take overs and tons of features and tweaks that the community made while the devs made money out of them. I mean they made 2 fucking expansions for X3, and while they did a few things good, the rest are community scripts embed into the "expansions". Cant wait for Bethesda to do the same and charge money for those dlcs lol.

I started playing again and of course i have at least 10-15 mods, to make the game somewhat playable. Its fun, while i ignore the major issues that couldn't be fixed. I could talk in length how retarded the devs are after 2 major expansion, talking about repairs, mission design, the retardo static war, the lag behind rocks, civilian ships, the bugs in 3.1 that fucks the performance, they are so many things...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
X3 is not a cashgrab. They started working on an expansion for X2, but realized they were adding lots of new stuff and changing the look of it that they dwcided to just make a new game out of it.

Stillbirth, however, WAS a cash grab. Even Reddit knows what's up:

7295a9cc42.png

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Stupid fanboys being dramatic. And im pretty sure you're another one of the dumbfuks who hasnt played it but marches here posting reddit nonsense.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Stupid fanboys being dramatic. And im pretty sure you're another one of the dumbfuks who hasnt played it but marches here posting reddit nonsense.

X veterans hate Stillbirth, especially the ones who've played it.

Casual/console gamers haven't even heard of Stillbirth, or if they have, they hate it too.

There is a very small cadre of pathetic fools who for some reason think Stillbirth isn't garbage and defend it, but you're unable to explain yourselves.

Well, I'll do it for you: Graphics are more important to you than gameplay, and you're willing to put up with Stillbirth's horrible shortlist list of consolized, simplified "features" and endless obnoxious "NPC conversations" because you're too intensely stupid and simple to play X3.

No matter what bullshit smokescreens you've tried to throw up, anyone can fire up a gameplay video of Stillbirth and HEAR TERRIBLE FUCKING VOICE ACTORS TALKING CONSTANTLY AND NEVER SHUTTING THE FUCK UP. Their stupid fucking faces are impossible to avoid, too. This is a fact that cannot be argued against.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
X3 is bad no matter how many mods you install. I didn't even try Rebirth. I played X1 when it was new and interesting but they never improved it in all that time.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yes, EVE is boring, X3 is bad, you haven't played Rebirth... why are you here and what is your goal and/or point?

You just here to bitch?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
If you want to make the world a better place, then volunteer at a fucking soup kitchen.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Neither will whingeing on the Codex.

Complaining about games you don't like on the Codex is entertainment, not activism.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
complaining about games you don't like on the Codex is entertainment, not activism.
Nuh uh. It is exactly activism. And all the devs and fans of these bad games should be forced to play some of the good small indie space games to see examples of the creativity, and good ideas that they were incapable of.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Where do all these retarded newfags come from? It's like there's a dumbfuck factory somewhere. Must be millenyuls again.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I actually put a lot of hours into the first X game and even more into Elite which was probably before you were born. That is how I know which games are good and bad - I have frames of reference! The X series is dead in the water and hasn't progressed in 20 something years. It deserves to be said. And it gets completely outsold by stuff like Elite Dangerous which is total trash. That is not a good situation.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I actually put a lot of hours into the first X game and even more into Elite which was probably before you were born. That is how I know which games are good and bad - I have frames of reference! The X series is dead in the water and hasn't progressed in 20 something years. It deserves to be said. And it gets completely outsold by stuff like Elite Dangerous which is total trash. That is not a good situation.

Not quite before I was born, but within a couple of years.

It really doesn't matter how many years you've been alive and playing computer games, though. I've played pretty much every space sim-type thing on the planet, too, including the original Elite. A complete list would take up half the page, but includes Elite, Frontier: Elite II, ED, Oolite (open-source Elite clone), the entire Wing Commander series (including Privateer and Privateer 2) up through WCIV, the entire Descent series plus FreeSpace and FreeSpace 2, I-WAR and I-WAR 2, Escape Velocity: Nova and its remade prequels (2D and arcade-y, more of an adventure game, but damned good), several of the Evochron iterations, KSP, Starsector, Avorion, Interstellar Rift, Noctis, Vendetta Online, and of course EVE Online.

That's in addition to the conventional flight and combat sims I've played over the years. Chuck Yeager's Air Combat was probably the first.

I've been obsessed with science fiction and spaceships since I was a little kid, and trying to pull a "frame of reference" card on me is laughable at best.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
For me yeah. But it depends what you want and your tolerance of spreadsheets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom