Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Wing Miniatures Game

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Has anyone played it? There's a decent local following for it despite our small board gaming community. I've played it a few times myself and by far the best things I like are pre-painted miniatures and fast rules (2v2 w/o objectives can be completed in under an hour). Just got my Rebel Aces and Imperial Aces expansions and cannot wait to try them out at the table.

I've played it. It's a fun phase-based tabletop game. The main problem I've encountered in my 4 or 5 sessions is that Imperial ships seem SIGNIFICANTLY underpowered. Maybe I'm just a nub, and haven't figured shit out yet. TBH the most fun I've had with the game is whilst playing 4 way FFA melees among friends.

Severian Silk

TIE fighters are supposed to be fragile but quick, sort of like the Japanese Zeros.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've played it. It's a fun phase-based tabletop game. The main problem I've encountered in my 4 or 5 sessions is that Imperial ships seem SIGNIFICANTLY underpowered. Maybe I'm just a nub, and haven't figured shit out yet. TBH the most fun I've had with the game is whilst playing 4 way FFA melees among friends.
How so? There was a time when Tie swarm (6-7 Tie fighters including Howlrunner, or 8 unamed Tie Fighters) have been the way to go for a long time.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I have just played a full Tie Interceptor list. They are very fun to fly as you can reposition like mad with push the limit.
But they die quickly to piloting blunders.
There are a lot of tournament lists online.
I used the following one:

Soontir Fel (27) 35

Push the Limit (3) Royal Guard Tie (0) Stealth Device (3) Autothrusters (2)

Turr Phennir (25) 31

Veteran Instincts (1) Royal Guard Tie (0) Stealth Device (3) Autothrusters (2)

Carnor Jax (26) 34

Push the Limit (3) Royal Guard Tie (0) Stealth Device (3) Autothrusters (2)

Turr Phennir is a bit weird in that you cannot use Push The limit to get into position, but his ability allows you to get out of opponents with lower piloting ability.
I definitely want to try out Darth Vader with the following upgrades

EPT: Daredevil
Mod: Engine Upgrade
Title: Tie/x1
Sensor: Advanced Targeting Computer
He gets pretty expensive at 37, but he hits very hard with his advanced targeting computer (+1 crit if he has target lock on the target and does not spend it), and he gets mad repositioning abilities with his 2 actions, Daredevil, and the abilities to boost and barrel roll. It is not as good as an Interceptor as he has much less choice when it comes to green maneuver(4 vs 7), but Daredevil sounds really fun to use, and he is the only one who can make good use of it (with Tycho Ceilu, but A-wing has horrible damage).

Tie defenders are now flyable, thanks to the Imperial Veterans expansion, that gave them a much needed upgrade:
Tie/X7, which gives them a free evade if they go at range 3,4 or 5. And it costs -2 (!) but strips the starfighter of its ordnance (why would you take ordnance on such a 3 attack fighter in the first place?) and secondary weapon slot.
They are now a strong tournament list (supported by the overpowered Palpatine in a shuttle, or with 3 of them).

I have only played against a single one, but it was pretty convincing:
Ryad (34)
Push The Limit (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x7 (-2)
Her ability to be able to replace a straight with a K turn is really amazing, even with her mediocre pilot skill.
Full Tie Defender List:
  • Countess Ryad, x7, Stealth Devince, Push the limit
  • Delta, x7, Stealth Device
  • Delta, x7, Stealth Devince

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
btw, in case someone missed it, X-Wing has a very cool fan made coop campaign where you play against "bot" Empire fighters and get to upgrade your starfighter and learn new pilot abilities.
It is named Heroes of the Aturi Cluster.
I strongly recommend it if you are interested in this kind of play (coop campaign).
The "AI" system works rather well, despite being a bit predictable.

da_rays

Augur
btw, in case someone missed it, X-Wing has a very cool fan made coop campaign where you play against "bot" Empire fighters and get to upgrade your starfighter and learn new pilot abilities.
I strongly recommend it if you are interested in this kind of play (coop campaign).

Awesome! thanks for putting this on the radar. I was going to organise a SmallWorld session , as the players have already played a few time. But this seem very nice and im hosting a few Star Wars enthusiast . But they havent played a lot of boardgames. How hard is that to assimilate for casual fags drinking a few brewskies? They are gonna love the coop part.

Printing now :positive:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
It is easy to assimilate by playing, but explaining all the rules can be a bit long,
but you can cut the corner cases (what happens if there is an obstacle between you and your target, that the Empire wins on ties for initiative...), just tell them it is bad, and start with :
1 maneuver, then the initiative order and 1 action that should be focus 95% of the time.
The shooting phase is pretty straightforward.

At least, you don't have to spend a long time making lists.

I first played a normal 2 vs 2 game with my RPG group (50 points per player, standard rules), then we moved to the campaign mode for the next session.

One of the problem of the campaign is that it requires a lot of Tie Fighters: 2 per players + 1 of each special craft (Tie Advanced ,Tie Interceptor, Tie Bomber, Tie Defender, Tie Phantom) per player.
I proxy most of the special crafts (Defenders for Phantoms, Interceptors for Advanced).

You can also have some players start with an A-wing if you don't want that many X-wings (or just proxy the new
episode 7 X-wing for the old ones).

Tie swarms are not viable anymore, so having lots of Tie fighters won't really help you win tournaments :)

There are also a few drafts for an Imperial campaign on the net, but it is harder to do (because Tie Fighters are really frail, and you cannot really start the players in Tie Defenders...), and not as balanced.

da_rays

Augur
Thank a bunch for the post mate . Will be doing a 2V2 like you did before trying the campaign , 50 pts seem pretty good to start to assimilate thoses rules . Good ideas for the proxy . I still have a bunch of old Star wars miniature , and bought a x wing versus tie fighter . Those will come handy tonight.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

Nice find, thanks.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Some guys also made an Imperial campaign. It is not as developed, but I much prefer flying Imperial fighters because they are more nimble. The Tie Interceptor remains my favourite starfighter so far (but the Mandalorian Protectorate Starfighter seems to be pretty similar).

As always with the Empire, there are 2 competing branches:
Hunters of the Aturi Cluster
https://community.fantasyflightgame...ster-imperial-mission-playtesting-and-design/
This one is the closest to the HOTAC rules and feel, and have imperial pilots start with Interceptors.

Defenders of the Empire, which tries to emulate the feel of the old Tie Fighter game instead when it comes to campaign strcture.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/135532/defenders-empire

I am using a mix of both to GM an Imperial campaign:
Newbie Tie Interceptors go down fast!
All ships ended the first mission (against Y-wings and Z-95) with 1 hull point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom