Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xbox Scorpio will be most powerfull console sporting 6 teraflop GPU

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Xbox Scorpio's power advantage over PS4 Pro 'will be obvious'

This means Scorpio — which Microsoft has said will feature a GPU clocked at 6 teraflops — will be approximately 43 percent more powerful on paper than Sony's system. "The performance delta will be obvious,

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/7/12841596/microsoft-xbox-scorpio-playstation-4-ps4-pro-more-powerful

6 teraflop is gtx 980 Ti and 1070 level.

Interesting times.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah, the quality and integrity of their pockets.

A console with equivalent power to a mid/high range PC without any increase in price? One of three things here:

1) They managed to brake the laws of physics and developed a revolutionary GPU capable of crunching huge numbers that's very cheap to produce.

2) Microsoft is willing to cut profits in order to bury the PS4 and take control of the market.

3) They are lying through their teeth and this Scorpio shit will just be another peasant device that won't even remotely approach the power of a good PC.

Of course, it is going to be number three. Number two would be sort of interesting but Microsoft is neither that clever nor ballsy enough to pull such a stunt.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Microsoft did hint Scorpio won't be a cheap console. Neither are they interested to bury Playstation. I think they just make another one to keep the brand alive and their development community busy. In profits terms, Xbox has been peanuts and MS is okay with that.

sullynathan

Arcane

A console with equivalent power to a mid/high range PC without any increase in price? One of three things here:

1) They managed to brake the laws of physics and developed a revolutionary GPU capable of crunching huge numbers that's very cheap to produce.

2) Microsoft is willing to cut profits in order to bury the PS4 and take control of the market.

3) They are lying through their teeth and this Scorpio shit will just be another peasant device that won't even remotely approach the power of a good PC.

Of course, it is going to be number three. Number two would be sort of interesting but Microsoft is neither that clever or ballsy enough to pull such a stunt.
At this point MS can't bury Sony. They're too far behind in Sales and Scorpio won't be coming till another year while PS4 Pro is coming this year. Sony will have another lead in sales, plus MS will go for parity and the 4K stuff.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Microsoft should just give up on the Xbox and focus on the one gaming platform they dominate completely: the PC.

Ho wait, this isn't fantasy land but harsh, cold reality. My bad.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Microsoft did hint Scorpio won't be a cheap console. Neither are they interested to bury Playstation. I think they just make another one to keep the brand alive and their development community busy. In profits terms, Xbox has been peanuts and MS is okay with that.

I actually really want to see how they'll price Scorpio now because Sony kinda has them by the balls. We'll see what value they'll attach to their supposedly superior dev-

Written by Arthur Gies
Right.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

Of course, it is going to be number three. Number two would be sort of interesting but Microsoft is neither that clever nor ballsy enough to pull such a stunt.
4) The console really will spy on people, and the NSA is putting money into it to offset the cost.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Eh, by the time this comes out, 980 TI will be a 3 year old tech. Scorpio is likely going to use AMD's Zen CPUs and some variation of AMD Vega GPU, which aren't even on the market yet. So it's definitely plausible Scorpio can pack 6 Teraflops, after all new consoles are just small-factor PCs, if you can do it on PC you can do it on a console. The only question is a price point, I can't imagine Scorpio going for less then 600$.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shame it will only get used for graphics. The most pointless thing...

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
All these teraflop comparisons strike me as flawed. PCs have much more gunk between the software/OS and the graphics card, while consoles usually allow for much more effectiveness and optimization.

From what I've seen, the PS4 as-is has pretty good modern-era graphics, regardless of how allegedly "weak" it is compared to a PC.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
All these teraflop comparisons strike me as flawed. PCs have much more gunk between the software/OS and the graphics card, while consoles usually allow for much more effectiveness and optimization.

From what I've seen, the PS4 as-is has pretty good modern-era graphics, regardless of how allegedly "weak" it is compared to a PC.

So imagine what the scorpio will produce if it is on level with current PC high end graphics card

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
All these teraflop comparisons strike me as flawed. PCs have much more gunk between the software/OS and the graphics card, while consoles usually allow for much more effectiveness and optimization..

In theory.

In practice console games are "optimized" in the sense they have low resolution textures (hidden behind a shitton of bloom), shortened drawing distance and the like. Optimization can't overcome what the hardware simply cannot do.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
All these teraflop comparisons strike me as flawed. PCs have much more gunk between the software/OS and the graphics card, while consoles usually allow for much more effectiveness and optimization..

In theory.

In practice console games are "optimized" in the sense they have low resolution textures (hidden behind a shitton of bloom), shortened drawing distance and the like. Optimization can't overcome what the hardware simply cannot do.

It's also easier for developers to make a console title, because all over the world console have same one hardware combination, pc can have hundreds of combinations.

Severian Silk

It's also easier for developers to make a console title, because all over the world console have same one hardware combination, pc can have hundreds of combinations.
Nobody knew this. Thanks for pointing it out.

Astral Rag

Arcane

That's just an excuse incompetent devs like to throw around. It's not 1995 anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom