Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xbox Scorpio will be most powerfull console sporting 6 teraflop GPU

The console's name, Scorpio, though... what will Sony release next to keep up with the joneses? The PS Blofeld? PS Ted Bundy? Because Scorpio sounds either like a James Bond villain or a serial killer

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
All these teraflop comparisons strike me as flawed. PCs have much more gunk between the software/OS and the graphics card, while consoles usually allow for much more effectiveness and optimization..

In theory.

In practice console games are "optimized" in the sense they have low resolution textures (hidden behind a shitton of bloom), shortened drawing distance and the like. Optimization can't overcome what the hardware simply cannot do.

It's also easier for developers to make a console title, because all over the world console have same one hardware combination, pc can have hundreds of combinations.

Game engines take care of that for you, and if you make your own it is not a pain unless you use lots of lame extensions all over the place. Which is a really bad idea if you are making your own engine.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The point remains that developers have to cut corners in visual fidelity to "optimize" their games for consoles, and not in a good way. Low resolution, low frame rates (sometimes sub-optimal, i've seen console games slowing down below 30 FPS. Like, wtf), bloom or blur effect to cover up for lack of detail, all sorts of junk like that. Modern consoles are now powerful enough to solve some of those issues (1080p is FINALLY becoming the standard), but in the main they are basically peasant devices and you mostly get what you paid for. I remember watching some review of nuDoom where they praised the fact the game runs at 60 FPS on PS4, except they figured out the game also runs on medium setting. Like, fuck you. I can run that shit on ultra with a mid-range PC. Not that i want to since the game is a pile of garbage but you get what i'm saying. That crap bothers me.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
6 tflops
8 cores
16gb ram

current pc's will not be powerfull enough to run scorpio games

Xbox will take the crown untill PS 5

FugueLah

Scholar
There is a noticeable difference in looks between early PS3/XBox 360 titles and the later ones (GTA5, The Last Of Us). This is because developers figured out the optimizations better. This has always been true, they even ported Quake2 to the PS1 at one point with lighting effects intact. This is on a console without Z-buffer, with 2mb of RAM and 33mhz CPU.

PS2 had FPS like "Black" (I believe) which had physics, and emulated shader effects without GPU shaders, etc.

Of course I suspect the more consoles become like PCs, the more complex their OS becomes, the more "features" they shove in there that nobody needs, the more plans they allow for the "PS4 PROS" and "XBOX NEOS" and various incremental upgrades, the more they develop the same thick abstraction layers between software and hardware as PC has, negating the inherent advantages of the console's direct pedal-to-the-metal approach.

Yeah, they figured out how to lower the FOV and framerate, and increase the bloom.

---

Arcane
Most powerful console evahhh

5PrKkLu.png

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
If I want a powerful console, I'll get a Desktop PC.

lol at Microcucks, suck my asshole

Delbaeth

Learned
XBox: The Scorpio is so powerful even PC has nothing equal yet.

[BANG]

PC: Yes, power shifts more quickly than some people think.

latest

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
6 tflops
8 cores
16gb ram
GTX 1070
Ryzen 7 (scratch that, they are using 2.3 GHz thus they might be overclocked innovated PS4 cores)
RAM size used by disabled retirees.

The only question is price, and how much of that price would be paid in prices of DRM protected games.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
XBox: The Scorpio is so powerful even PC has nothing equal yet.

[BANG]

PC: Yes, power shifts more quickly than some people think.

latest

Those that are saying that pc's are more powerful forget that console has better optimization and usualy you need the PC to be 2-3 times more powerfull than console to achieve same results.

Just see how shitty ps4 and xbox one specs are, and the game that run on those need todays PC hardware.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
If Scorpio will cost 400$ you will need a 1000$ PC to have same results

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
There's 326GB/s of memory bandwidth, which is substantially higher than the 204GB/s of the Xbox One and the 218GB/s of the PS4 Pro. Indeed, it's even higher than AMD's own RX 480 and Nvidia's GTX 1080

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom