Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xbox Scorpio will be most powerfull console sporting 6 teraflop GPU

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Might be time to finaly get a 4k screen with scorpio, 4k native at 60 fps

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
6 tflops
8 cores
16gb ram

current pc's will not be powerfull enough to run scorpio games

Xbox will take the crown untill PS 5
But it's just a machine to render pretty cut scenes not a gaming platform. Can it launch HoMM, Wizardry 8, Deus Ex, Il-2, Thief, Gothic, SS, BG, Blood?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The only reason why Microsoft would continue to push unprofitable console hardware is to solidify DX12, and thus Windows 10 in the Desktop market. Because only Xbox One DX12 --> Windows 10 DX12 ports will run smoothly, all others must put up with shitty framerates and crashes.

Unless game developers go the extra mile and make Vulkan the de facto standard. But they won't because extra work requires more time/money.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
What use is all that power If the only thing you will be playing will be lowest common denominator multi platform games?

All the best exclusives are still Playstation only, just 2017 alone on the PS4... Horizon, Persona, Days Gone, God of War, Ratchet, Kingdom Hearts, Yakuza, Nioh, Nier, Final Fantasy XII, Shenmue, Hellbalde, Ni no Kuni, Uncharted.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, you get Halo 6. An epic 5 hour adventure for only 60 euro!

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
What use is all that power If the only thing you will be playing will be lowest common denominator multi platform games?

All the best exclusives are still Playstation only, just 2017 alone on the PS4... Horizon, Persona, Days Gone, God of War, Ratchet, Kingdom Hearts, Yakuza, Nioh, Nier, Final Fantasy XII, Shenmue, Hellbalde, Ni no Kuni, Uncharted.

We're reaching a point where graphical improvements are having a diminishing return.

Maybe a decade ago you could sell a game strictly on visual power like with Crysis. But that is no longer a powerful marketing tool. Games are now expected to have decent graphics as a requirement, not a selling point.

This mean one of two things:

- Games which focus on well designed and fun gameplay will prosper quite well in the next several years.

- Games that fail to do the above will crash and burn.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe AI will get a pass? That would be nice. All that processing power and everything goes to graphics.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
What use is all that power If the only thing you will be playing will be lowest common denominator multi platform games? All the best exclusives are still Playstation only, just 2017 alone on the PS4... Horizon, Persona, Days Gone, God of War, Ratchet, Kingdom Hearts, Yakuza, Nioh, Nier, Final Fantasy XII, Shenmue, Hellbalde, Ni no Kuni, Uncharted.

Eh, except half of that stuff is also on PC, KH3 is on Xbox too and probably some others. The age of exclusive-only titles is long gone, basically Uncharted on PS4, Halo on Xbox, and that's it.

Scorpio looks like first next-gen console worth getting...mantaining powerful gaming PC is pointless for me since I only play Kickstarter RPGs and occasional indie shit with pixel graphics these days...so actually buying a 500$ console for Netflix, Blue-ray and occasional AAA game on a discount, is not a bad idea, now that it will actually run 4k visuals.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
But this Xbox is just an upgrade right? So they still have to release the games for the original Xbox 1 console with those specs in mind?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I find the amount of enthusiasm and in the case of Makabb unbridled shilling for a piece of shit like XBOX in this thread disturbing. It's like everyone has forgotten what XBox did for the PC back in 2001, and how even now it's basically a mediocre PC with a grim, limited library of a few controller friendly genres.

The retards fap to the pricing, but I can build a PC for about half the RRP that will play a lot more varied games including pretty much everything since 1980, do the whole media centre thing and be a productive machine as well. Oh it won't play the latest stuff in the very ultra HD with all grafiks of course by default(neither will any console, but they will do better) but one can always upgrade even this in a year or two with a 1150 as a budget card that immediately will skull fuck the Scorpio. Fuck the consoletards.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Eh, except half of that stuff is also on PC, KH3 is on Xbox too and probably some others. The age of exclusive-only titles is long gone, basically Uncharted on PS4, Halo on Xbox, and that's it.

Scorpio looks like first next-gen console worth getting...mantaining powerful gaming PC is pointless for me since I only play Kickstarter RPGs and occasional indie shit with pixel graphics these days...so actually buying a 500$ console for Netflix, Blue-ray and occasional AAA game on a discount, is not a bad idea, now that it will actually run 4k visuals.
There's still a lot of multi million Sony exclusive game series around, like Ratchet, God of War, days gone, last of us, infamous, persona.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I find the amount of enthusiasm and in the case of Makabb unbridled shilling for a piece of shit like XBOX in this thread disturbing. It's like everyone has forgotten what XBox did for the PC back in 2001, and how even now it's basically a mediocre PC with a grim, limited library of a few controller friendly genres.

The retards fap to the pricing, but I can build a PC for about half the RRP that will play a lot more varied games including pretty much everything since 1980, do the whole media centre thing and be a productive machine as well. Oh it won't play the latest stuff in the very ultra HD with all grafiks of course by default(neither will any console, but they will do better) but one can always upgrade even this in a year or two with a 1150 as a budget card that immediately will skull fuck the Scorpio. Fuck the consoletards.

Except we all already have PCs that can play everything back to 1980, so it's a moot point.

The fact is, after several of years of Intel and Nvidia domination, the market for PC hardware has reached levels of toxicity not seen since the late 90s. Prices for high-end components are vomit inducing, as is power consumption. I've been building my own PCs for over 20 years, and they always used to be top of a line, but with prices becoming higher and higher and gaming time becoming lower and lower, it's really slowly becoming pointless to spend money on that shit just to play 1-2 AAA games a year, which is just about how often I play them.

Enter Scorpio, at 500$ and 250W power consumption, running 4k visuals, not the top quality but certainly at medium-to-high settings. This is a great fucking option for occasional dirty pleasure AAA gaming with good visuals for a change. If you can't admit that, because of some teenage edgelord "Microsoft are evil" nonsense, then you're the one who's retarded, pal. I don't give a slightest fuck if Hitler was their lead engineer, a good gaming machine at good price point is worthy of praise. But then some of us actually spend our own money on this stuff, while you probably blow one of your two dads each time you need a new GPU.

There's still a lot of multi million Sony exclusive game series around, like Ratchet, God of War, days gone, last of us, infamous, persona.

Yeah, PS4 still has far better exclusive lineup, no question about it. Microsoft really have nothing other than Halo nowadays, as everything else is mediocre, while a few great games (Forza/Killer Instinct) are already on PC.

I'm just saying exclusives are not as important as it used to be.

sullynathan

Arcane
Scorpio is running a Forza game at native 4K at 60 fps with ultra settings

PS4 pro is already running a few games at 60 fps native 4K so the number will only grow for the Scorpio

Nintendo has the best exclusives

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Wut? PC gaming has become cheaper. I remember those expensive voodoo cards and what not. Even PC games in itself was much more expensive than they are now. Man, even a burnable cd-rom wents for 10 bucks a pop. Even if you were a pirate you had to pay.

passerby

Arcane
Might be time to finaly get a 4k screen with scorpio, 4k native at 60 fps

Retard detected, believing in "dynamic 4k gaming" buzzword :lol: 4k is barely distinguishable from 1080p and if they go for 4k instead of 60 fps, it'll be dynamic my ass ( can't do both in visually demanding games).

With processing power required to render at 4k, you can instead stay at 1080p and improve framerate, quality/quantity of rendered assets, lighting, increase draw distances, add fx, etc, all for dramatically better improvement than 4k.
Buying 4k display for gaming is retarded. In new games, you'll always get better experience at 1080p and 4k display mean you'll pay extra money only to display non native resolution.

Electronic industry, with pushing 4k on the current generation, basically forces consoletards into extra expenses for worse experience. It's retarded, like many things in console business.
Movies is a different story, as you only need extra storage space / bandwidth for 4k with no other tradeoffs. But for gaming ? Pointless.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I think this is great. New console generation means PC hardware will finally be allowed to actually advance properly again... Until it outpaces the consoles a little too much and we'll magically be back down to incremental changes. No collusion here folks, move along.
Oh, and same for AAA games from places other than eastern europe. I've been getting a little tired of the eternal rehash of "2007 but with a different color filter" graphics.
What will our future hold? What new twist will developers add to the mouse acceleration in their AAA ports?
Over the various console generations from xbox to 360 to xbone we went from just acceleration that could be turned off in some .ini, to hardcoded acceleration, acceleration AND deceleration, or different sensitivities for horizontal and vertical movement... What next, Far Cry 19 "xbox controller required"?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
It just means AAA games will become even shittier and buggier than before.
That'll be some kind of achievement at least. It'll take real effort to make games even shallower and buggier than FO4 and MEA and the like.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
It just means AAA games will become even shittier and buggier than before.
That'll be some kind of achievement at least. It'll take real effort to make games even shallower and buggier than FO4 and MEA and the like.

The industry's modus operandi is quite simple. To them, better hardware equals bigger games. Bigger games equals more bloated teams, more human errors, more bugs.

If Assassin's Creed Unity or Arkham Knight was bad, I wouldn't want to imagine how AAA games fare in 5 years from now on.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
4k is a bust with the vast majority of console players. It's being pushed hard by gaming press but when you look at the install base... The number of people with actual 4k HDR tv's with an input lag low enough to actually game, is ridiculously small.

Most people don't just buy new tv's unless their old ones brake or they are so out of date that make day to day use a problem.

Cable TV is still mostly SD with some 720p channels thrown in.

duke nukem

Augur
Jaguar evolved CPU, jacked up to 2,3 Ghz?

:lol::lol::lol:

I'll never need to upgrade my ancient Ivy Bridge CPU ever again.
"However, potentially the most exciting aspect surrounding the CPU revamp doesn't actually relate to the processor blocks at all, but rather to the GPU command processor - the piece of hardware that receives instructions from the CPU, piping them through to the graphics core.

"We essentially moved Direct3D 12," says Goossen. "We built that into the command processor of the GPU and what that means is that, for all the high frequency API invocations that the games do, they'll all natively implemented in the logic of the command processor - and what this means is that our communication from the game to the GPU is super-efficient."

Processing draw calls - effectively telling the graphics hardware what to draw - is one of the most important tasks the CPU carries out. It can suck up a lot of processor resources, a pipeline that traditionally takes thousands - perhaps hundreds of thousands - of CPU instructions. With Scorpio's hardware offload, any draw call can be executed with just 11 instructions, and just nine for a state change.

"It's a massive win for us and for the developers who've adopted D3D12 on Xbox, they've told us they've been able to cut their CPU rendering overhead by half, which is pretty amazing because now the driver portion of that is such a tiny fraction," adds Goossen.

To be clear, then: Project Scorpio doesn't feature Ryzen cores, but the Xbox team are not so concerned about this. "On the CPU side of things, we could still meet our design goals with the custom changes we made," Kevin Gammill points out. "At the end of the day we are still a consumer product. We want to hit the price-points where consumers want to purchase this. It's about balancing the two.""
So this custom made jaguar can do 100 000 instructions just with 11 instruction. So its 9 000 times faster than normal jaguar.
:shredder:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom