Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
These Chosen really just sound like a reskined Exalt. Same shit. I liked the exalt addition to Xcom 1 the least. Shit expansion for now. I am not sure if I even want to pirate this. I need to see if they fix strategy layer beyond what is listed and how the new tactical combat is going to look like. LW2 fixed both pretty well, if this will again be a downgrade I hope LW2 guys will again make a mod for it
Are you sure? They sounded more like the rulers (recurring boss enemies) from the DLC to me.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The expansion doesn't really sound like the tactical-layer gamechanger that EW was with meld, mods and mechs. There is an Exalt-like addition to the strategic layer, that's cool. I guess I really want to hear more about the new maps and mission types.
Depends on how deep the 3 new rebel factions go. I expect it will be incredibly basic, but you never know.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The expansion doesn't really sound like the tactical-layer gamechanger that EW was with meld, mods and mechs. There is an Exalt-like addition to the strategic layer, that's cool. I guess I really want to hear more about the new maps and mission types.
Depends on how deep the 3 new rebel factions go. I expect it will be incredibly basic, but you never know.
In the other video infi posted Jake talks about how combat can get chaotic and says that you can fight at same time advent, chosen and zombies. New factions are not mentioned. I am 100% sure they are just going to give you a few missions and you are going to get some gear from them and their "hero" units.

They got no shame. Chosen are just a mix of Exalt and legendary units from Xcom 2 DLC. Both were irritating and now they mixed them... at least once you got rid of Legendary units that was it, but for Chosen you will need to find their HQ and finish that like you did with Exalt and they are going to fucking over your strategic layer like Exalt did.

Mazisky

Magister
I don't get all this butthurt, they added new environments, enemies, classes, maps, strategic layer stuff and side stories. What's wrong for an expansion?

I am pretty excited and i guess the main campaign will be huge with all Dlcs+expansion, without even considering lw2

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't get all this butthurt, they added new environments, enemies, classes, maps, strategic layer stuff and side stories. What's wrong for an expansion?

I am pretty excited and i guess the main campaign will be huge with all Dlcs+expansion, without even considering lw2
They added less and what seems worse than you can get with LW2 already. And things like enemy heroes and your heroes is not the Xcom way.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
3u3FxPt.png

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

They added less and what seems worse than you can get with LW2 already. And things like enemy heroes and your heroes is not the Xcom way.
I think part of it is that in the back of our minds we were hoping that the expansion wouldn't just add content, it would fix the whole "XCOM2 is less compelling than XCOM2012 for a lot of hard to articulate reasons" issue. Now that it's been announced, we have to accept that anything it doesn't fix won't get fixed. Hope requires uncertainty and the range of potential outcomes just became much narrower. So even if the expansion is fine on it's own, we've lost some hope for the game we wanted XCOM2 to be.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm just dreading playing vanilla X2 again without all the base-game fixes LW2 introduced like getting rid of LoP.
Base X2 is grenade heaven, LW2 removed that shit. This expansion will be worth nothing if explosives again rule the day

Mazisky

Magister
I'm just dreading playing vanilla X2 again without all the base-game fixes LW2 introduced like getting rid of LoP.
Base X2 is grenade heaven, LW2 removed that shit. This expansion will be worth nothing if explosives again rule the day
Still, this expansion should give more stuff to Long War Studio to play with.

Yeah, in the worst scenario there will be tons of (hard to make for modders) assets like new maps\weapons\armors\factions\core mechanics for modders to work with

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Firaxis' slow descent into popamale seems unstoppable now.

Are u fucking shitting me? From Civ 4 to 5 it was a fucking nosedive. "Slow descent" my ass. Firaxis has been shit for a long time now, with the occasional playable game (NuXcom + LW). Seems like they can't even manage THAT anymore.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey the "level 3 bond between two soldiers" has a lot of potential. I wonder if they actually have proper squads in the game now

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I have no idea how this is going to fit in with the previous content.
So we now have 3 "chosen" and 3 alien rulers? That's a bit excessive, isn't it? And what about all of these little subfactions? How does that fit into the world?
Also, where did this zombie apocalypse come from? XCOM2 wasn't post apoc. The advent cities looked quite nice on the surface, actually. Wtf is going on?

Mazisky

Magister
I have no idea how this is going to fit in with the previous content.
So we now have 3 "chosen" and 3 alien rulers? That's a bit excessive, isn't it? And what about all of these little subfactions? How does that fit into the world?
Also, where did this zombie apocalypse come from? XCOM2 wasn't post apoc. The advent cities looked quite nice on the surface, actually. Wtf is going on?

-Rulers are redesigned to fit with the expansion

-The chosen have a storyline and dialogues and you will interact with them throughout the whole campaign, they get stronger over time, both in abilities and visually, they can act on strategic layer and they have a HQ in which they must be defeated

-The factions provides heroes who are better than normal classes because they have a new ability tree different from vanilla perks system

-The zombies are from abandoned cities, not the cities we played into but other cities who were left abandoned since Xcom EU, and zombies will spawn only in this new map environment

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
Thought the "chosen" would this be similar to the nemesis system in the game Shadows of Mordor. :|

luinthoron

Learned
Sounds a bit like they've combined ideas from both Long War and Phoenix Point into this. Let's see how it works out, then.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sounds a bit like they've combined ideas from both Long War and Phoenix Point into this. Let's see how it works out, then.
Factions in Xcom 2: WoC are not going to be real factions like in PP. It seems you will only do some missions for them and then get access to their hero soldiers. And probably not be able to get all 3 but only one or two.
And then in late game when the game was easy already and you beaten both Alien Rulers and Chosen you will now have even more OP units to bully around Advent LOL.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
SPARKS were incredibly halfassed.... i fear thats exactly how they ll do factions:

.....do a couple of story missions. unlock new poorly thought out / poorly balanced class. repeat x 3. yay

....i hope i m wrong :negative: (for the long war 2 players: how are SPARKS handled there, are they fun ? )

what xcom imho needs the most (and why i m excited for phoenix point) is a much better geoscape. personally i could forgive a lot of the other flaws from nuXCOM if only the geoscape were better.

the expansions sounds like it *might* adress that issue ...... but so far i had the feeling firaxis is more interested in telling their lame ass story ... than giving us more options on the geoscape. heck i wouldnt be suprised if they announced XCOM3 and ditched the geoscape all together for a 20 mission linear campaign with more story, romance and immersion !

ArchAngel

Arcane

We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master.

Not really. What we know of PP is 4x better than Xcom 2 + this crappy expansion.

Cmon, it's so obvious Julian is making Phoenix Point only cause Nuxcom success.

No, he is making it somewhat similar to nuXcom because of its success. I am pretty sure he would make some version of Xcom in any case.

luinthoron

Learned
Factions in Xcom 2: WoC are not going to be real factions like in PP. It seems you will only do some missions for them and then get access to their hero soldiers. And probably not be able to get all 3 but only one or two.
From what we've been told of WotC so far, it seems that you're more likely to get all three factions on your side here than in PP. We've always been told about PP that the interactions between the factions themselves will eventually force us to pick sides even if we manage to be friendly with all of them at first. On the other hand, the first WotC trailer already mentioned the idea of uniting the three resistance factions, even if they all hate each other. Still probably hard if not impossible to do here as well, though, given how we've already been asked to pick one in subsequent Facebook posts.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Actually in PP factions give you bonus resources and most importantly access to exclusive tech. And you will be able to get all 3, by being ally with one and conquering the other two. They will also be trying to expand and get neutral Havens to join them.

These WoC factions, I bet will just be a collection of few missions and that is it.

luinthoron

Learned
Ah, true, there's the possibility of simply conquering them in PP. Not quite the same as getting them as allies, but in terms of simply being able to acquire their technology, you're right. WotC factions will certainly not be on the level of PP factions in terms of geoscape involvement, but we don't really know how exactly they're involved in the story and what will be necessary to gain them as allies. Admittedly, Firaxis has pretty much gone the collection of missions route with all their expansions/DLC so far for both XCOM games, so I would not be too surprised if that's what we'll get again, but this part of the announcement on their site gives us hope there's more to it than just that:
ENHANCED STRATEGY LAYER

Manage XCOM’s relations with factions and counter The Chosen’s operations from the Avenger. Employ new Resistance Orders to prioritize your personal strategy. Soldiers, scientists, and engineers can now be deployed for Covert Actions that award supplies and boost faction favor if successfully completed.
Looks like there will be a way to manage favor with the factions outside missions, which may help us convince them all to work with us as well, unless the missions specifically make us choose one over the other(s).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom