Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
SPARKS were incredibly halfassed....

Yeah, I liked SPARKS, but they had a lot of problems.
No weapon mods, slow to level up and expensive. Not really much incentive to take them over troops. You can field them wounded, but why do that when they can't take cover and will most likely die due to low health, especially in the late game?
With MECs you can save the suit at least, and there was a way of healing them. You need a certain perk in order to heal SPARKS, and that's like 5 levels.

I would have loved it if SPARKS can transfer their experience. Like, instead of dragging a dead spark home you salvage its hard drive and you can put that into a new spark unit.
That way you don't lose your hefty investment if one dies, which would give it a concrete advantage over troops.
But nope that would have been clever.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ah, true, there's the possibility of simply conquering them in PP. Not quite the same as getting them as allies, but in terms of simply being able to acquire their technology, you're right. WotC factions will certainly not be on the level of PP factions in terms of geoscape involvement, but we don't really know how exactly they're involved in the story and what will be necessary to gain them as allies. Admittedly, Firaxis has pretty much gone the collection of missions route with all their expansions/DLC so far for both XCOM games, so I would not be too surprised if that's what we'll get again, but this part of the announcement on their site gives us hope there's more to it than just that:
ENHANCED STRATEGY LAYER

Manage XCOM’s relations with factions and counter The Chosen’s operations from the Avenger. Employ new Resistance Orders to prioritize your personal strategy. Soldiers, scientists, and engineers can now be deployed for Covert Actions that award supplies and boost faction favor if successfully completed.
Looks like there will be a way to manage favor with the factions outside missions, which may help us convince them all to work with us as well, unless the missions specifically make us choose one over the other(s).
Sorry but to that reads almost exactly like Exalt missions in Xcom: EW but instead of just sending soldiers you will be sending engineers or scientists as well. And then get the mission to extract them like now :D
Also "counter Chosen operations from avenger" to me reads "press one button like in Xcom: EW to detect Chosen's operation before they fuck you over".

I learn from past experience with Firaxis so I expect nothing from this now. I just hope I will not be disappointed even then.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I have problems with overall fail=restart approach of nuXcoms. In original X-Coms losing all your squad was a serious, but not a fatal blow. Both X-Com: EU and X-Com2 treat players in a way that teamwipe means you are crushed, unable to catch with Avatar and underleveled rookies and squaddies can't cope with alien hordes, because lots of skills are mandatory for victory and weapons with armor are so expensive that you hardly can equip all.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, the covert ops strategy layer in EW was pretty weak. The so called clues were hardly helpful, and it was usually better just to do the missions due to the amount of resources you get.
Especially with Total Loss on; free laser weapons are good.

Mazisky

Magister

No weapon mods, slow to level up and expensive. Not really much incentive to take them over troops. You can field them wounded, but why do that when they can't take cover and will most likely die due to low health, especially in the late game?
With MECs you can save the suit at least, and there was a way of healing them. You need a certain perk in order to heal SPARKS, and that's like 5 levels.

I would have loved it if SPARKS can transfer their experience. Like, instead of dragging a dead spark home you salvage its hard drive and you can put that into a new spark unit.
That way you don't lose your hefty investment if one dies, which would give it a concrete advantage over troops.

Jake said that in the next patch Sparks will be buffed, more Aim, more slots and more Hp\armor in order to be closer to real tanks.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Jake said that in the next patch Sparks will be buffed, more Aim, more slots and more Hp\armor in order to be closer to real tanks.
They are already buffed in LW2.

Mazisky

Magister

I'm talking about official patches of vanilla game

ArchAngel

Arcane

Who cares what vanilla will have. Only casuals play that.

Mazisky

Magister

You may not care, but many others do.

We know already that you hate Firaxis, that Nuxcom is shit, and other random ragekid-nerd stuff, but Long war 2 is not what the majority of people play, probably even here on codex, so an important change about official content is worth mentioning.

ArchAngel

Arcane

We know already that you hate Firaxis, that Nuxcom is shit, and other random ragekid-nerd stuff, but Long war 2 is not what the majority of people play, probably even here on codex, so an important change about official content is worth mentioning.
Then mention it on some scrub boards. Here there are people that hate nuXcom and people that can play it with proper mods. Seems only you and whoever clicked agree like vanilla Xcom 2.

Mazisky

Magister

Then mention it on some scrub boards. Here there are people that hate nuXcom and people that can play it with proper mods. Seems only you and whoever clicked agree like vanilla Xcom 2.

Didn't see that the thread title was "random kids shitting on games ", i thought i did read just "Xcom 2", apologize.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

No, even here most don't play LW2. LW2 is far from "loved" anyway. I don't think I've seen many mods as big as that one that are at the same time totally divisive.
It brings as much incline as it brings bullshit mechanics (which aren't even optional and completely opposite to what a game like XCom is all about) and failures to fix vanilla's most glaring issues, making it a thoroughly unenjoyable package. And no, I'm not just talking about the rookies' schoolgirl mentality, though it is one of the more hilarious issues :lol:
If you want a topic named "XCom 2" to be entirely about a mod of "XCom 2", you are probably in the wrong place.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah, the good old internet "I represent the majority!!" I guess it goes without saying that everyone on the Codex who didn't click #agree to Mazisky automatically #agrees with you instead. In fact it's so obvious that no one bothered to actually click #agree with you. Way to go.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
New building?

x2woc_screen_greatercustom.jpg

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
That's because long war 2 is not very good.

I would certainly hope the majority of the codex appreciates the original long war for the good stuff it did, even if the massive sperging required is too much for them. Then again strategy board has been going down the drain for a long time, so who knows.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That's because long war 2 is not very good.

I would certainly hope the majority of the codex appreciates the original long war for the good stuff it did, even if the massive sperging required is too much for them. Then again strategy board has been going down the drain for a long time, so who knows.
I didn't enjoy long war 1. It is not the kind of gameplay I like in Xcom. Also air combat was retarded and needlessly hard because game still lacked proper base and geoscape management. I prefer Xenonaus and Open Xcom over LW1. LW2 I find almost as fun as Open Xcom and better then Xenonauts.

Overwatch mechanics are a big problem with new Xcom and it is going to be a problem in PP as well. In Open Xcom and Xenonauts you don't have a guarantee you will fire first with reaction fire but overwatch gives you that ability and promotes overwatch spam which then forced timed missions in Xcom 2.

Mazisky

Magister
New building?

Cool, looks like a training center.
I guess its so you can level up guys without deploying them?
Or maybe a replacement for the training part of the GTC?

I've found a description:

It's called the Training center.

Basically in every missions soldiers gains new ability points which you can spend in that facility to make them learn new abilities (differents from standard perks)

ArchAngel

Arcane
New building?

Cool, looks like a training center.
I guess its so you can level up guys without deploying them?
Or maybe a replacement for the training part of the GTC?

I've found a description:

It's called the Training center.

Basically in every missions soldiers gains new ability points which you can spend in that facility to make them learn new abilities (differents from standard perks)
Sounds like LW2 AWC

Mazisky

Magister
Another "patch note":

Along with Sparks buffs, we got some Rulers nerfs: now they only have reactions every turn when they have los on who's moving, also no reaction on reloads.

Mazisky

Magister
New infos on expansion, tbh is ton of stuff:

-Rulers are now facilities guards and they will trigger in every mission like they used to be only after being engaged once. Rulers and Chosen can't be in the same mission.

-Chosen: the hunter snipes you from out of sight, it's avoidable by movement tho. The warlock summons ghosts. The assassin teleport into soldiers to melee swings.

-The chosen have a resource called "knowledge" and they can increase it by interrogating xcom soldiers, after they have enough knowledge they can reach your base. They can also capture your soldiers and you may need to rescue them in a stealth mission.

-They can screw you up in the strategic layer too and there is also a new base defense mission involving the chosen attacking the avenger.

-Every chosen is independent and they have their own knowledge bars and they control different territories.

-Every chosen has a stronghold in which you have to go in to defeat them permanently (think like EU alien base missions).

-The chosen gain new procedural perks and abilities over time. Nemesis system from Mordor ispired Firaxis.

-Little fun details added like factions or alien speaker radio transmission about world events while in geoscape, just to add flavor

-You are not obliged to beat all chosen before beating the game, but the chosen u didn't kill will show up all at once for a final confrontation.

-Different ending cinematic

-New enemies: Priest, mind control, revive himself, and many buffs. Purifier, flamethrower and incendiary grenades. Spectre, who knockout you soldiers and create an active copy of them.

-The zombies are a lot and come in swarms, but if you kill one straight you have a free action, basically you can chain kill them.

-New mission system in tactical: lot of missions have random modifiers, example: lot of explosives in the map\you can bring only 3 soldiers\free conceleament skill for all soldiers\etc. etc

-You can have more heroes but after the first they will be very hard to get

-2 new facilities: training center, for new abilites for soldiers and Resistance ring, related to covert ops

-Covert ops in which you send ppl out looking for intelligence but they can trigger missions in which you need to rescue them

-Bonds between soldiers work in both strategical and tactical by adding new stuff, like if one close to other is immune to mental effects and so.

-New fatigue system

-If u bring fatigued soldiers in missions they may panic, or do bad stuff like reacing badly to many events so it's doable but very risky

-New item: Lost lure, who can make zombies attack where you want

-Every faction and chosen has new weapons you can get , so basically 6 new weapons.

-New research stuff called Breakthrough or Ispiration, they appear randomly and allow many buffs like increase sniper rifle damage or decrease a facility cost

-Improvements fixes on engine, such loading times and framerate

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom