Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

ArchAngel

Arcane
I didn't find EW storyline anything special or better than Xcom 2. Actually both have you use a psionic soldier and then do a very similar last mission. But geoscape in Xcom 2 is so much better than EW it is not even funny.

Mazisky

Magister
I didn't find EW storyline anything special or better than Xcom 2. Actually both have you use a psionic soldier and then do a very similar last mission. But geoscape in Xcom 2 is so much better than EW it is not even funny.

Yep but i mean the fact who we're getting invaded and we dont know anything about aliens, so we'll discover slowly. The mystery feeling

ArchAngel

Arcane

Yep but i mean the fact who we're getting invaded and we dont know anything about aliens, so we'll discover slowly. The mystery feeling
I care about that even less :D
I guess I am a combatfag first and foremost.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I'm still salty about the complete lack of actual guerilla fighting. Every mission in 2 can be solved by grenading everything into dust. Even LW2 doesn't really fix that.

Falksi

Arcane

Yeah, that's something which all the sequels from both generations have failed to deal with to some degree.
Although Apocalypse did have that mystery once you progressed to the exploration of the Alien world/bases.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm still salty about the complete lack of actual guerilla fighting. Every mission in 2 can be solved by grenading everything into dust. Even LW2 doesn't really fix that.
Actually LW2 does fix it because now you need corpses for both research and crafting of items. And you need them to sell them on black market so you can afford to make stuff. Blowing them up means you don't get corpses.. unless you took that one perk with all your grenadiers which means you are not effective at blowing up cover.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Actually LW2 does fix it because now you need corpses for both research and crafting of items. And you need them to sell them on black market so you can afford to make stuff. Blowing them up means you don't get corpses.. unless you took that one perk with all your grenadiers which means you are not effective at blowing up cover.

That's a rather heavy-handed way of fixing it though. By stealth missions I was thinking of something like a Commandos map with slower gameplay, no timer and maybe even new stealth-related abilities for each class. The devs seem to be a bit obsessed with their own story anyway and missions like that would be ideal for telling it too. Instead we get "Regular XCom but you get an alpha strike now".

ArchAngel

Arcane

That's a rather heavy-handed way of fixing it though. By stealth missions I was thinking of something like a Commandos map with slower gameplay, no timer and maybe even new stealth-related abilities for each class. The devs seem to be a bit obsessed with their own story anyway and missions like that would be ideal for telling it too. Instead we get "Regular XCom but you get an alpha strike now".
I am not even sure why they implemented the hiding mechanics, I guess they decided it fits the theme. Also it kind of works with pod system, as it makes it less terrible.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
No. In 80% of all missions you get no corpses and at best can salvage unit loot, like energy cell or weapon mod. So you still can grenade every living and unliving thing on the map, which is usually the most effective course of action as you have a chance to blow up cover and finish hp bloats faster with crits.

ArchAngel

Arcane
No. In 80% of all missions you get no corpses and at best can salvage unit loot, like energy cell or weapon mod. So you still can grenade every living and unliving thing on the map, which is usually the most effective course of action as you have a chance to blow up cover and finish hp bloats faster with crits.
You could but explosives make a lot of sound and bring in multiple packs from all over the map. Also it does not work from mid game and beyond as enemy life overtakes explosives damage and if you didn't level expert shooters you are going to find yourself with a group of cover destroyers with nobody to finish off aliens.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
You could but explosives make a lot of sound and bring in multiple packs from all over the map. Also it does not work from mid game and beyond as enemy life overtakes explosives damage and if you didn't level expert shooters you are going to find yourself with a group of cover destroyers with nobody to finish off aliens.
No, they died just like the rest and grenading allows you to survive until mag and laser weapons and even then massive explosions remain the decisive factor of success in both nuXcom2 and LW2

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's hard to make TBS mechanics that works well with both cover shooting and stealth.
How so? Stealth works much better with cover. Invisible Inc has no shooting but its TBS works very well with both XCom like cover and stealth.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
It's hard to make TBS mechanics that works well with both cover shooting and stealth.
How so? Stealth works much better with cover. Invisible Inc has no shooting but its TBS works very well with both XCom like cover and stealth.

It's different cover. In Invisible it's "they do not know you are there" cover, in XCOM it's "they know you are there because you stick out and shoot" (except when you are concealed).

And there is shooting in Invisible, but it's a momentary instakill firefights.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It's different cover. In Invisible it's "they do not know you are there" cover, in XCOM it's "they know you are there because you stick out and shoot" (except when you are concealed).

And there is shooting in Invisible, but it's a momentary instakill firefights.
That is a good point, but I think all we'd need in XCOM would be to have hunker down behind high cover make you count as hidden/untargetable (because why are you getting your head out if your intention was to hide behind cover in the first place?).

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
In the end everyone will end up with a team of supersoldiers as a main team, wiping out pods and hp blobs with superabilities. Unless you will be restricted to only one type of supersoldier per mission, but even then your mission will be centered on keeping supersoldier alive andgetting as much kills to level as possible

Mazisky

Magister
In the end everyone will end up with a team of supersoldiers as a main team, wiping out pods and hp blobs with superabilities. Unless you will be restricted to only one type of supersoldier per mission, but even then your mission will be centered on keeping supersoldier alive andgetting as much kills to level as possible

They said u will usually have only one hero soldier, maybe 2 if you grind a lot. Not more.

The hero soldier get fatigue just like normal soldiers, so you'll have to rotate him out

Also, they buffed many enemies (and featured new ones)

ArchAngel

Arcane

They said u will usually have only one hero soldier, maybe 2 if you grind a lot. Not more.

The hero soldier get fatigue just like normal soldiers, so you'll have to rotate him out

Also, they buffed many enemies (and featured new ones)
They said that for EW expansion for Xcom 1, all they did is make players team much stronger than in EU.
You will excuse me if I don't trust Firaxis.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
The difference is that nuXcom had aliens who could disable your troops outright. Accidently triggering a pod of Vipers could wipe your team. They will not wound your troops, they can strangle three soldiers and remaining could panic. Even if you free them they will be in a midst of enemy troops, who already moved to the best possible position, usually flanking you.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The difference is that nuXcom had aliens who could disable your troops outright. Accidently triggering a pod of Vipers could wipe your team. They will not wound your troops, they can strangle three soldiers and remaining could panic. Even if you free them they will be in a midst of enemy troops, who already moved to the best possible position, usually flanking you.
Flashbangs take care of that problem :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom