Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://xcom.com

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K and Firaxis Games today announced that XCOM® 2, the sequel to the Game of the Year* award-winning strategy title XCOM®: Enemy Unknown, is currently in development for Windows-based PC. Developed by Firaxis Games, XCOM 2 transports players 20 years into the future, where humanity lost the war against the alien threat that has established a new world order. The secret paramilitary organization known as XCOM is largely forgotten, and must strike back to reclaim control of Earth and free mankind from the aliens’ rule. XCOM 2 is currently scheduled for release in November 2015. The game will also be coming to Mac and Linux via Feral Interactive.

“Firaxis proved they could reimagine a beloved franchise with XCOM: Enemy Unknown, a Game of the Year award-winning title”

In XCOM 2, the roles have been reversed, and XCOM is now the invading force. They are hampered by limited resources and must constantly evade the alien threat in their new mobile headquarters. Players must use a combination of firepower and stealth-like tactics to help XCOM recruit soldiers and build a resistance network, while attempting to expose the evil alien agenda and save humanity. XCOM 2 will introduce gameplay features such as procedurally-generated levels, which will make each experience unique to the player, as well as offer a much deeper level of modding support. Additionally, XCOM 2 will offer a variety of new content including five updated soldier classes, increased soldier customization, more alien and enemy types, evolved tactical combat and more.

“Firaxis proved they could reimagine a beloved franchise with XCOM: Enemy Unknown, a Game of the Year award-winning title,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “With XCOM 2, the team is breathing new life into the series by adding an epic narrative and challenging players to overcome near impossible odds.”

“The feedback from the passionate XCOM community played an important role in the development of XCOM 2, driving us to push the visual, gameplay and replayability boundaries of what a strategy game can be,” said Jake Solomon, creative director of XCOM 2 at Firaxis Games. “We’re thrilled to implement long-time fan requested features such as procedural levels and modding support, as well as adding more of what makes XCOM great like new aliens, enemies and soldier classes.”

For more information about XCOM 2, visit IGN.com, where the game is featured as the IGN First title for the month of June. In the coming weeks, IGN will reveal exclusive details about XCOM 2, including gameplay impressions, in-depth analysis of alien and enemy types, new soldier classes and combat tactics, story-focused insights and more.

XCOM 2 will be available for PC and is currently scheduled for release in November 2015. XCOM 2 is not yet rated by the ESRB. For more information on XCOM 2, please visit www.XCOM.com, become a fan on Facebook, follow the game on Twitter using the hashtag #XCOM2 or subscribe to XCOM on YouTube.

*XCOM: Enemy Unknown was named 2012 Game of the Year by the following outlets: GameTrailers, GiantBomb, and Kotaku.

Firaxis Games is a 2K studio. 2K is a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ:TTWO).

All trademarks and copyrights contained herein are the property of their respective holders.

PC exclusive?

:d1p:

Last edited by a moderator:

rezaf

Cipher
I wonder if Firaxis is going to really show us the wonderful achievements of days to come - I'm thinking of things such as multi-floored buildings...

Angthoron

Arcane
Let's prosper together bit gives it all away. It's about Prosper's AI going rogue in a city of tomorrow where everything is controlled by AI.

spectre

Arcane
Logical. It would give them the perfect excuse to drop all this turn based nonsense and deliver a proper visceral experience.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Logical. It would give them the perfect excuse to drop all this turn based nonsense and deliver a proper visceral experience.
It is not Xcom without turn based. And the other non turn based xcom game did a lot worse.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I would absolutely love a sort of Apocalypse reimagining with XCOMs engine. I'm joining the hype train

Gozma

Arcane
Eh, I kinda wish they wouldn't go with grimdark '90s Megacity 1 stuff. I remember reading the plots for TftD and Apoc and being bummed out.

X-Com has a corny optimistic Independence Day human assabiyah angle where all the old petty interests are put aside for the commonwealth, government is organized for human power and benefit. You have no narrative or gameplay concern with media or perception - there's no postmodern angle. Going from that to playing terrorists in They Live! world kinda ehhhhhhh

Last edited:
Unwanted

Fitz

Unwanted
It is not Xcom without turn based. And the other non turn based xcom game did a lot worse.
Come on, you know that deep down you want a spiritual successor to x-com: enforcer just as much as the rest of us do. ;)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Come on, you know that deep down you want a spiritual successor to x-com: enforcer just as much as the rest of us do. ;)
Haha, I only heard about that game years later when I read people complaining about how bad it was :D

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/147833/xcom-2-2k-announcement/

A full sequel, however, has eluded us, but we have it on good authority that this will change next week. Possibly titled “XCOM Deux,” XCOM 2 will be announced as early as Monday, June 1, 2015, for PC and consoles. Pre-orders will be accepted in early June, and the game will ship in November.

Take that with a healthy pinch of sodium chloride.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Considering Firaxis started streaming Xcom weekly a while back, it is not at all hard to believe they intend to announce a sequel soonish.

Thane Solus

Arcane
lets hope after the mediocre sales of XCOM on peasant consoles, they will make this PC exclusive, but those execs are not the brightest bunch i have seen... Still, there is hope i guess. Please make a better strategic layer this time and dont dumb the game further.

June 1, 2015, for PC and consoles. Pre-orders will be accepted in early June, and the game will ship in November.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
YCCmtN8.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom