Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Okay so I played a lot more of this last night and am fucking tired at work today as a result. Short story: this expansion is pretty awesome. Underneath the "selling points" of more cutscenes and special characters - both of which I actively dislike since it draws focus from the main game you're going to play over and over (I'd rather have more standard soldier types) - they did actually do what I hoped which is expand massively on repeatable content variety - i.e. "stuff to do." The game feels even more like a board game now letting you send guys on non-interactive missions and there's a pretty good wealth of options to choose between so you feel like you're prioritizing. These missions give unique boni to soldiers you send, so you want to put your best soldiers in those slots to upgrade them even more, but you ALSO want those soldiers for your active missions, so this gives natural dilemmas. The chosen feel like what the Alien Overlord-thingys SHOULD have been. They're annoying threats without completely overtaking the mission structure - rather, they're just another thing to deal with. I'm actually really impressed with how diverse your tactics have to be when you beat them (at least if you're not playing 110% optimally, which I'm not).

Tip: if you're using Not Created Equally mod (which I recommend), set starting soldiers to 8 or 9 and refill recruits to 2 or 3. In my game I have to recruit or prioritize recruit drops on the map sometimes and I actively use most of my roster, but I don't feel like I'm completely stuck on soldiers.

They also expanded the mission types ALOT and got sick creative, it doesn't feel like there's much copy-pasta. There's also been a good deal of map expansion, and much of it is actual "old world" settings which I dig, because I never liked the style of the sci fi maps. Shooting up aliens in actual urban settings are much more fun.

Actually you can pretty easily become overwhelmed with the amount of choices you have right now, dunno how I'm ever gonna have time to research psionics...

My biggest gripe right now is that I worry that The Lost will become a huge nuisance. They're really easy to fight but take a loooong time because there are so many so you have to wait through tons of shots and since the STOP WASTING MY TIME-mod isn't updated you also have to wait for those annoying pauses.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also, does anyone know whether there's a standalone mod to display soldier stats in the barracks window? The LW packs did that, but it isn't compatible with WotC so now I have to click on each individual soldier to see their stats.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
STOP WASTING MY TIME-mod isn't updated
it is updated.

Also they partially solved the problem of teamwipes. Now you have an option to level your rookies by sending them on covert missions. So if you lose your prime team you still can have leveled people and will not be forced to fight Gatekeepers and sectopods with rookies

Mazisky

Magister
You need to have at least 4 kind of every classes, so 16 soldiers minimum without considering heroes and psionic\sparks.

Basically 4 teams.

Team A and B for Tactical, considering injuries and fatigue you will switch them a lot.
Team B for Covert Ops
Team D for replacing soldiers when died or captured or at training center\removing negative traits (those both need days in base)

Problem is they level up slower than vanilla cause of that, you get colonels only before game end, but they are stronger cause of ability points. For example, all my colonels of every class shred armor with base attacks and have 1 base armor point

Also, there are lot more content but the overall lenght is about the same, so you're forced to skip something, if u do psionic u can forget sparks, etc. etc., same for buildings.

Dlc missions are pain in the ass too, you have no time\strenght to do them

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Really fucking love this.
Serious question: should I get the other DLC? Will I miss out on good stuff without the Shen mission / the weird alien hunter DLC? They seem like a waste of money...

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Fuck procedural generated missions: I'm on a mission to save some crates, 3 Advent Troops are converging on my position, I'm ambushed by a Chosen One and Advent is saving more crates than me.

I have absolutely no chance to complete the mission in my terms because the game doesn't allow it. This is fucking stupid. Yeah, I know. Sometimes you got to lose.

Also there is some event each 2-3 days. What the fuck !? I had more than 10 popups with information ... one after another. Christ.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Really fucking love this.
Serious question: should I get the other DLC? Will I miss out on good stuff without the Shen mission / the weird alien hunter DLC? They seem like a waste of money...

WOTC essentially supercedes Alien Hunters since Chosen basically are a better form of Rulers, and I always thought the alien hunters DLC weapons were unbalanced and gimmicky. Shen mission is fun to play once but I never really bothered with Sparks. I always disabled both of these in LW2 and I think WOTC is fine without them.

I pretty much agree overall just a quick note: the alien hunter weapons are pretty balanced now that you have to research them and then pay for a proving grounds project and they still upgrade seperately.

Fuck procedural generated missions: I'm on a mission to save some crates, 3 Advent Troops are converging on my position, I'm ambushed by a Chosen One and Advent is saving more crates than me.

I have absolutely no chance to complete the mission in my terms because the game doesn't allow it. This is fucking stupid. Yeah, I know. Sometimes you got to lose.

Also there is some event each 2-3 days. What the fuck !? I had more than 10 popups with information ... one after another. Christ.

git gud

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
"Help, the game is too complex and forcing me to decided between too many options none of which are clearly superior to one another."

Never thought I'd read that on the Codex...

Decided to get the "add-on" (really more like X-Com 2.5) but not the Shen/Hunter DLC. If I really want a few more weapon choices + another mech option I can get it later but there's enough content here as is.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Holy shit, the new loading times. On my pretty old now gaming laptop the game takes 0.5 seconds to load a mission (on SSD).

luinthoron

Learned
it is updated.

Also they partially solved the problem of teamwipes. Now you have an option to level your rookies by sending them on covert missions. So if you lose your prime team you still can have leveled people and will not be forced to fight Gatekeepers and sectopods with rookies
That, and as seen from some of the YouTube playthroughs, one of the new continent bonuses, if you're lucky enough to get it, allows you to train your rookies straight to sergeants in the GTS.

Shen mission is fun to play once but I never really bothered with Sparks.
Sparks apparently got some upgrades in WotC as well and can use weapon mods, making them now a more viable option. Haven't had the change to actually try them out myself yet, though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I been playing all day and this is genuinely really, really, really good. If you thought X-Com 1/2 were shit this might really change your mind; I haven't had this much fun in a tactical game in a long time; not since original X-Com.

Parabalus

Arcane
Is there any reason not to skip the Shadow Chamber? Been sitting on it for several months without using it, that could have been an earlier psi lab.

"Help, the game is too complex and forcing me to decided between too many options none of which are clearly superior to one another."

Never thought I'd read that on the Codex...

Decided to get the "add-on" (really more like X-Com 2.5) but not the Shen/Hunter DLC. If I really want a few more weapon choices + another mech option I can get it later but there's enough content here as is.

Big issue with them is that the story missions break balance (allegedly, but that's default) and if you disable them you miss out on context e.g. viper king autopsy being narrated by dr. Vahlen and mentioning eggs but you not having seen any of that if you didn't play pre-WotC.

The rulers are cool and the items very flavourful, MECs have a lot of seperate upgrades so I couldn't try until mid-November, and they start out as rookies, might be good if you focus on them.

it is updated.

That, and as seen from some of the YouTube playthroughs, one of the new continent bonuses, if you're lucky enough to get it, allows you to train your rookies straight to sergeants in the GTS.

I got a resistance card from the Reapers which gave that training bonus, neat if there is a also a continent variant.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Holy Christ, I thought with my high level team with Magnetic weapons I'd be prepared for the Blacksite Mission. Everything went well... until the dang weeaboo Chosen showed up and everyone was decimated in a growing spiral of chaos, bond mates dying, people going berserk, triggering dozens of aliens... nobody made it out.

Was a good first run.

That was on Classic Ironman. ... might want to turn off Ironman for a while...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I've easily done blacksite in the original X-COM 2, but I wasn't prepared for how much the Chosen disrupted things, even though he was next to no threat the first two times I encountered him.

Also I meant to play ~20 minutes this morning at 10 AM.

It is now 5:20 PM.

There's just so much to do! So many fires to put out, so many things to consider... And Breakthroughs are an amazing idea.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Holy Christ, I thought with my high level team with Magnetic weapons I'd be prepared for the Blacksite Mission. Everything went well... until the dang weeaboo Chosen showed up and everyone was decimated in a growing spiral of chaos, bond mates dying, people going berserk, triggering dozens of aliens... nobody made it out.

Was a good first run.

There is no classic difficulty in XCOM2. Also it's more enjoyable with ironman on lower difficulty, than without ironman on higher difficulty.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Whatever the third difficulty is called. You sure it's not classic? Easy, normal, classic, legendary?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Was a good first run.

Is this your first vanilla rodeo? Vanilla blacksite is all about taking your damn time in concealment to find the worst patrol and alpha strike em. In WOTC, you then fall back and do your anti-chosen countermeasures before engaging further pods. And when you are done you can farm the last two RF pods by the evac.

It's only in LW2 that you have to hustle to get the vial because of the soft timer.
And in LW2 you stealth your whole team by the edge of the map to back of the building, grab the vial and run away trying to fight as little as possible.

Mazisky

Magister
Another thing i've noticed, old maps are now very different from each other and more varied than vanilla. They revamped those

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Are S.H.I.V.s (Super Heavy Infantry Vehicle) in the game?
latest
0We5z.jpg

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't like it at all, typical pointless expansions where they confuse bloat with difficulty and complexity. Technical improvements are nice though, loading times and map generation are huuugely faster.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I really like expansion so far, played my first supply raid mission on legend ironman.

On the plus side:
-Factions and faction soldiers, good design, and abilities
-New maps, especially the one with lost are really good -more vertical space to use, albeit not much for enemies,which should be patched i hope enemies will occupy building floors, just like xcom operatives can use it for their advantage
-Loading times improvements[finally added the capslock trick...], stability improvements, and framerate improvements. Not bad at all
-Reworked missions and timers
-Chosens/assassins are interesting to fight, quite challenging but...

On the minus side
-sometimes they are only annoyance that doesnt do much but distract you during the mission, slowing mission pace
-Some missions like haven retaliance are easier early game -you have resistance members defending civs
-i feel like "bonding" mechanics is too much micromanagement, at least with current ui, you can't quickly see whos bonded to who, you have to read the name, and then find the soldier in your rooster.
-still no pre mission ui improvements -seeing perks and abilities
-no shen's last gift mission working from what i can see
-40 euro is way too much, 20 euro for such DLC would be a fair price. Especially how they fucked people who get the deluxe/preorder supposedly "full dlc package".

Will play more tommorrow and in following days, might change my mind.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom