Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

ArchAngel

Arcane
They usually announce their games 6 months before release.

Red Rogue

Learned
Posting in both threads, need a bit of insight.

For $31, I can get either:

-Xcom 2 + WOTC/dlcs
-CIV6 Gold + Rise and Fall/dlcs

Does anyone have strong feelings either way about which I should get? CIV6 has the brighter future it seems but it's more of an investment due to the new expansion not being released yet.

Mazisky

Magister
Posting in both threads, need a bit of insight.

For $31, I can get either:

-Xcom 2 + WOTC/dlcs
-CIV6 Gold + Rise and Fall/dlcs

Does anyone have strong feelings either way about which I should get? CIV6 has the brighter future it seems but it's more of an investment due to the new expansion not being released yet.

Xcom + Wotc is highly recomended.

Just don't install the anarchy children dlc, it actually make the game worse.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
I beat this game once when it came out. Now I keep replaying until around plasma tech then quit. Lategame is SOOOOO BORING

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I beat this game once when it came out. Now I keep replaying until around plasma tech then quit. Lategame is SOOOOO BORING

Yeah, its easy to get tired of it. You see everything too early and its too easy to delay the Doomclock.
I'm getting a bit tired of my current C/I run, and I'm starting to play other games. Then again, this is technically my 3rd attempt; first attempt was with Lost and Abandoned, which is scripted crap. Second attempt is trying to beat the game with 4 soldiers, which is frustrating with War of the Chosen because of how the stronghold missions are set up, and its just so boring. Like, you really have no variance in squad comp with 4 soldiers. Especially if you want to play with the new classes.
Third attempt is just a standard run, and its going pretty well. I've been playing for like 70 hours though, and I need to play something else because I'm not one of those people who can play the same game day in and day out for hundreds of hours at a time.

War of the Chosen is pretty neat though. The fact they try to appeal to weebs even more with the Assassin is lolworthy. I mean, they call her shotgun "Arashi" or storm in Japanese (you know, like how the plasma tier xcom shotgun is called a STORM gun), and they call her sword a katana...even though its not a fucking katana. What the shit, firaxis? You could have gone true weeaboo, and yet you pussied out. Baka gaijin.

tindrli

Arcane
i just start to play Long war 2 but i have two issues that i dont have remote idea how to solve.
1. i cant chose solder class when level them in base
2 in combat how can i see all the stats like this dude in youtube
ZLRbQNK.png

i only see enemy health and armor.

tindrli

Arcane
1) Dunno about Long War, but in vanilla classes are randomly determined or you build a Guerrilla Training School

2) That's a mod. There's a separate mod that gives more information about enemy health and stats.

i was watching some lets play where dude is supposedly playing only Long war 2
this one

so i thought i must have miss enabling something

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
i am sad that they vomited some useless shit instead of putting effort and make a wholesome TftD-like expansion they teased in WotC ending.

Whilst it would be cool to see a return of TFTD in all of its lovecraftian glory, I can understand why they haven't gone that route.
They probably want to make the game more than an underwater reskin of UFO Defense, complete with dudes just walking around underwater instead of swimming. Iirc that was Soloman's problem with it.
The question then would be "how would we design the underwater parts so that they make sense contextually and are interesting gameplay wise?".
I suspect that whatever the solution is, it probably involves an various new core game mechanics, and which would require a whole new game for it to work properly.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
1) Dunno about Long War, but in vanilla classes are randomly determined or you build a Guerrilla Training School

2) That's a mod. There's a separate mod that gives more information about enemy health and stats.

i was watching some lets play where dude is supposedly playing only Long war 2
this one

so i thought i must have miss enabling something

Ah, maybe. I believe there's a mod manager tool for War of the Chosen, maybe you could try that and see what happens?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
They don't need to have underwater desighns. All they have to do is to make a bunch of new aquatic enemies and port locations. Plus new base interiors.

tindrli

Arcane
Did anyone experienced stuttering or Choppy effect when installed some mods. i have 10 or such mods. for example when my turn ends and camera moves to enemy position it stops for a half second or something and then goes again and repeat and its shit.
I have i7700 with 16 ram and 1060 with 6 GB Vram and SSD and when i had only Long War 2 mod activated i had NONE of this crappy choppy effect so it must be some mod. did anyone of you experienced players know what mod can cause this?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
They don't need to have underwater desighns. All they have to do is to make a bunch of new aquatic enemies and port locations. Plus new base interiors.

I dunno, that still sounds pretty half-arsed and forced in. I'd rather they start from scratch and make something a little more comprehensive. Make nu-TFTD a proper sequel rather than a reskin, you know?
That's actually a problem I had with the legacy missions; its supposed to be during the invasion, and yet the alien models are the same as in the base game, which is a couple of decades later and after the aliens had undergone considerable modifications. Also, the legacy "laser" weapon is just a mag weapon, which is horseshit. I want fucking lasers, man.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Did anyone experienced stuttering or Choppy effect when installed some mods. i have 10 or such mods. for example when my turn ends and camera moves to enemy position it stops for a half second or something and then goes again and repeat and its shit.
I have i7700 with 16 ram and 1060 with 6 GB Vram and SSD and when i had only Long War 2 mod activated i had NONE of this crappy choppy effect so it must be some mod. did anyone of you experienced players know what mod can cause this?

No idea. Try disabling each mod to see which one it is. That usually works.

Black

Arcane
NuCom 2 isn't exactly what I'd want from an X-COM re-make/re-imagining or whatever but the latest dlc they put out for it comes with a soundtrack that's inspired by the OG and it's quite an incline especially compared to the vanilla NuCom tracks.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
Most of the TLE tracks are updated version of original Ufo defense (my 2nd favourite ost of all times) , others are entirely new, either way all good!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom