Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Duraframe300

Arcane
Saw a stream.....saw the combat....what a joke....havent played jrpg's in ages but if this is what they evolved too....geez....pathetic game.

And to open boxes or chests....you tap ....a ...great game design lol

Uhm. What?

Yeah, to open lifepods you mash a. Kind of silly!

Ah, yes. I don't know why that is remarkable though. Its pointless, but easy and fast enough that it (imo) hardly becomes an annoyance.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I don't know how I missed it, but Skills can be leveled up with Battle Points, just as the Arts can. My damage went up significantly when I leveled my passives. How are you guys doing for cash? I'm pretty strapped myself. Barely can afford a full set of gear my level for one character, let alone a whole party. Think I'm gonna have to set up a lot more Research probes. I'm liking the game so far, it's a significant upgrade over Xenoblade. I think this game might be my 2015 GOTY.

Still didn't play further :(. Lots to do and I'm going to have to work through the night.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I started playing this shit at 10AM and finally stopped at 5AM. I need a rest. Galactic Knight is ridiculously fun if you want to be a Jedi. A word of wisdom: some of the probe locations may seem to be impossible to find at first. That's because some of them are. Some probes you'll only be able to plant once you get your Skell.

Ivan

Arcane
This worth the $60 Hobo Elf? Aside from a possible Platinum sequel, I only have Zelda, Fox, and this on my radar.

Granted, the only JRPGs I've played are Earthbound, Mother 3 and Chrono Trigger.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This worth the $60 Hobo Elf? Aside from a possible Platinum sequel, I only have Zelda, Fox, and this on my radar.

Granted, the only JRPGs I've played are Earthbound, Mother 3 and Chrono Trigger.

I think it's well worth it. Just keep in mind that this isn't strictly a storyfag jRPG. This game is mostly about exploring the new alient planet and everything that comes with it: exploring new areas, setting up beacons, collecting samples, killing animals, looting ancient and new (your ships) wreckage etc. There are 8 different divisions to join all with their own different goals that kinda give you a nudge as to what you should be focusing on, although keep in mind that you can always switch divisions whenever you want. I joined the Reclaimers because they are all about looting derelict wreckage and setting up probes and they get a bonus to item drops, which is more money and more crafting. Basically if you want an RPG with a large world to explore, a lot of classes with skills, spells and passives to play around with to make your ultimate dood, a bunch of mecha to fly around with as your inner child is laughing with glee, then this might be the game for you.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, I'm just gonna keep this on my wishlist, then. Does this game reference past Xeno games at all? I was planning on playing Xenogears and the first Xenoblade, but I'm curious.

Unrelated, is Xenosaga even remotely good?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yeah, I'm just gonna keep this on my wishlist, then. Does this game reference past Xeno games at all? I was planning on playing Xenogears and the first Xenoblade, but I'm curious.

I haven't played any of the previous Xeno games, aside from Xenoblade on the Wii, but I see lots of people connecting dots on who's who and how are the characters related to everyone else in all the Xeno games, so I think there's probably an overarching mythos. I've encountered specific enemies in Xenoblade X that were in the first Xenoblade game so there might be a connection there. I also know that
the eponymous Xenoblade is a hidden item somewhere within the world, although it's not the same Xenoblade as the one in the Wii game

Ivan

Arcane
How would you describe the combat? The only thing I dislike about Chrono Trigger's "active" combat system is that it, ironically, pauses every time anyone takes an action. Do the cooldowns make it feel more caster ARPG-ish?

Siveon

Bot
How would you describe the combat? The only thing I dislike about Chrono Trigger's "active" combat system is that it, ironically, pauses every time anyone takes an action. Do the cooldowns make it feel more caster ARPG-ish?
WoW with mechs, probably. Someone feel free to correct me but the first Xenoblade pretty much just had WoW combat.

Avellion

Erudite
This is definately one of my favorite jRPGs I have played in a while. Certainly far superior to that Fallout 4. Bah. All I will say is, I love this game. I love how the game frequently reminds me what a weak piece of crap I am. I love the Mastermind.

Story may be pretty mediocre, namely due to a rather forgettable cast, pacing issues and poor exposition. The concept is great though. With humans (the good guys) effectively being the invaders on a foreign world. Its primarily an explorefag game, and man it does the explorefag bits well. Exploring the world is surprisingly fun. And mechs should make hte exploration even better.

This does reference other Xeno games occationally. Xenoblade gets the most references however.

Unfortunately, I do believe one of the references got lost in translation however... derp.

An example of a refernce of Xenoblade (that wasnt lost) is that you get to see a hologram of Heropon Riki... holding the monado

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm so drunk off my asshole right now. Like, I have not been this drunk in over a decade. One of my best friends had his graduation party today so I went over and drank so much it's unreal. With that out of the way, I'll attempt to answer some questions in a coherent and intelligent manner as best as I can.

I've finally sleept so can finally play.

Any advanced tips Hobo Elf

An important choice is what Field-Skill you choose to level up. The game doesn't tell you which skill does what, of course, so I'll help you. It can be simply explained as this: Mechanical is for looting money, Biological is for Battle Points and I do believe that Archeological is a split of both money and Battle Points. However, Mechanical is needed for planting Probes as well, and that's very important. Probes also equal money, Miranium and teleport points, so you can understand its importance. I was lucky to pick Mechanical as the Field-Skill to level up and I think most people should go with that first exactly because they have the ability to plant probes in all locations.
Also remember that normal Skills (not Field-Skills) can be leveled up just as Arts can be. I somehow missed this as the game didn't tell me that I could do it. The tutorial in general is kinda shit as it doesn't explain all the stuff you can do.

The cooldowns make it feel kinda slow in the beginning, although I guess it might depend on what class you pick. The more you level an individual skill the lower its cooldown is, always. So basically the further you advance your characters the faster tempo the game becomes.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Could have been cool, but I understand this to be a game where your protagonist is a passenger in the narrative. I can live without choices and consequences, but I don't like games where the narrative forces you to identify with a character who has no agency in the story.

duanth123

Arcane

It's very floaty.

I don't know why (I know why), but I was expecting hit detection along the lines of Dragon's Dogma or the mainline MH games, particularly where some battles find you breaking off creature parts.

And there's no rumble function (at least to my Wii U gamepad.)

deuxhero

Arcane

It used to but most, if not all, of them have been removed in the English version. 8-4 makes a point of changing things already in English so they can look like they are doing something. For example Wels.CAIN (one of the mechs) became Verus Cain

Duraframe300

Arcane
Could have been cool, but I understand this to be a game where your protagonist is a passenger in the narrative. I can live without choices and consequences, but I don't like games where the narrative forces you to identify with a character who has no agency in the story.

Not really. He's a silent protagonist, but very much involved.

This isn't White Knight Chronicles.

Avellion

Erudite
I wonder if you can max every Field Skill in the game. I hope not.

Also, I second about getting Mechanical first. Raise that to 3 before anything, afterwards, spend them however you want. From what I hear, 3 is the highest a probe requires to be planted.

While there are no choices and consequences in the main storyline from the looks of things.

I have heard that there are choices and consequences in some side quests. And the game supposedly autosaves after you witness the consequences of your choices. Your choice lead to the death of an NPC? Too bad, cannot save scum to get him out. I havent seen any C&C yet though, so take it with a grain of salt. Just heard of that on the chans.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I wonder if you can max every Field Skill in the game. I hope not.

Also, I second about getting Mechanical first. Raise that to 3 before anything, afterwards, spend them however you want. From what I hear, 3 is the highest a probe requires to be planted.

While there are no choices and consequences in the main storyline from the looks of things.

I have heard that there are choices and consequences in some side quests. And the game supposedly autosaves after you witness the consequences of your choices. Your choice lead to the death of an NPC? Too bad, cannot save scum to get him out. I havent seen any C&C yet though, so take it with a grain of salt. Just heard of that on the chans.

I've found a Probe that requires 5 Mechanical.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I don't think there are any missables at all. Dunno about C&C, though from what I'm reading theres always an alternative way to reap benefits. And you can max out everything.

In that regard its pretty much the opposite of the original Xenoblade.

Siveon

Bot

It used to but most, if not all, of them have been removed in the English version. 8-4 makes a point of changing things already in English so they can look like they are doing something. For example Wels.CAIN (one of the mechs) became Verus Cain
I would ask to stop being a bummer, but it's good to know this. Still, can't say I'm happy to hear that. 8-4 really needs to get their shit together.

Duraframe300

Arcane

I would ask to stop being a bummer, but it's good to know this. Still, can't say I'm happy to hear that. 8-4 really needs to get their shit together.

Theres still plenty of references.

duanth123

Arcane
Okay so the combat system is fucking great, to be right honest. It's clever and more thought out than just WoW in space or whatever.

The game really needs a SOUL VOICE tutorial, because its the heal + everything else part of the game.

Basically characters will scream out bits of dialogue, the boxes are colored, you use an art corresponding to said color, boom, you heal the party a little bit and get extra effect. Very useful.

So wait, you don't always QTE "press B" for the soul voice heal?

Sometimes it's just a corresponding art?

Tripicus

Augur
The most annoying thing so far is that you have to find your party members lounging around the administrative district to swap them into your current group.

Didn't know about switching between party members. My concern about that is the AI using your CDs before they charge to secondary/tertiary levels. I'm not sure if it's necessary, as I'm in chapter 5 and so far usually use the concentrate fire command to take out limbs so far is all I've needed. I could see some shield aura's on demand being useful though.

Limb destruction is incredibly important for some encounters. Monsters your level can have abilities that can nearly one shot you otherwise.

The game tends to tell you a number of things well after you've gained access to them. Like upgrading probes and collectibles (use to get BP for completing sets,etc). If you've read the manual this ins't an issue, but if you're waiting for in-game tutorials/notes about things...

Edit: In regards to soul voices, responding with the right art heals the one who initiated the dialogue and whoever responded with the appropriate art 'colour'. The 'B' timing happen under specific voices, and nailing that heals everyone as far as I can tell, and increases TP gain. There could be more to it as well. Don't have the manual in front of me/console is off.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom