Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

I tried to get into XCX but just couldn't. XC2 though, I love. Yeah, it's total anime and frankly pretty stupid, but it has HEART. XCX just feels soul-less. Generic. Even the combat is shit. I don't get the appeal at all. I hate open-world games because most of the time it feels like I'm going through some vast corporate committee idea of what makes a good game.

Lots of quests? Yeah, we got shit-tons of meaningless filler fetch or kill X widget quests.
Epic Story? Yeah, we got some kind of over-arching Big Bad or other heavy to take down.
Generic theme parks? Check.

Fuck XCX and for that matter fuck BOTW. Both took world with heart and replaced them with generic cash grab tech demos. Zelda had me fooled because I did the Zora kingdom 1st but then I realized there weren't to be any stories or any real character progression in the whole fucking game. XCX pretty much from the beginning felt empty. The vast world to explore, the plethora of meaningless quests, and the terminally boring NPCs somehow combined to make a game which felt tiny and shallow.

I definitely agree with Perkel that the music also sucks. If you can stand the anime/JRPS tropes I suggest XC2.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
There's good music in XCX, but the NLA music is definitely bad. The hip-hop inspired tracks were a mistake.

I like XCX the best because the premise is more interesting, (humans trying to survive on an unknown planet instead of fantasy drivel) plus flying mechs. They just need to port it over to the Switch.

Perkel

Arcane
I tried to get into XCX but just couldn't. XC2 though, I love. Yeah, it's total anime and frankly pretty stupid, but it has HEART. XCX just feels soul-less. Generic. Even the combat is shit. I don't get the appeal at all. I hate open-world games because most of the time it feels like I'm going through some vast corporate committee idea of what makes a good game.

I disagree here a bit.
I think those fetch quests are generally the thing i hate the most in rpgs but actually they do work a bit here due to premise of game.

You don't go on random journey where fetch quest makes no sense but you trying to survive on new planet. You set probes, explore, fight off dangerous animals, investigate ruins, find people for colony, extract resources, look for ingredients to upgrade armors and stuff.

This premise makes it logical to have fetch quests and doesn't brake my bullshit meter like XC1 did where every little shithead basically had fetch quest in purest form of bullshit "I want this because fuck you"

Though i have to put here huge asterix. Without great pretty world it would be very hard to not get bored by it.
And world is strongest aspect of XCX. Yes it is not busy world but crafted with some love and without map you can easily traverse it. It is also so fucking huge that it gives similar feeling to hiking.

Obviously i didn't finish game, i am just like 12 hours in so maybe later on fetch quest become a chore when XCX world loses its newness.

There's good music in XCX, but the NLA music is definitely bad. The hip-hop inspired tracks were a mistake.
I like XCX the best because the premise is more interesting, (humans trying to survive on an unknown planet instead of fantasy drivel) plus flying mechs. They just need to port it over to the Switch.

I think first one you posted is showing what is exactly wrong with XCX music when you actually have something that doesn't sound like shit. It takes about 2/3 of ost to be something other than random notes before it gets good for like 20 seconds. Second issue is vocals. They simply don't fit the game.

They both have their appealing aspects. I actually find the gameplay in X to be much more satisfying and in-depth than Xenoblade Chronicles'.

Yeah combat system is better though soul voices are bit bullshit mechanic.
Just amount of customization alone and various types of gear is enough to find something interesting.

Only thing i find confusing for now is what type of damage monsters deal and why ranged type armor have so much beam resistance at start when i don't see any monster doing any beam damage.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
After nearly 20 hours decided to drop it.

What "broke" me on this game was affinity mission where i had to fucking find item from monster.
Where to find monster ? Nope nada no clue.
Spend nearly 3 hours scourging first continent and fucking found it.
Those tentacle monsters appear only at night and in very few places. Gee i wonder how the fuck you are supposed to know it...
Then i spend nearly hour farming for electric something out of them and i couldn't fucking get it.
monsters parts targeting is super wonky and you can't actually switch sub parts targeting, you need to move around and hope that maybe it will switch to part you want to target.
Wasted 2 more hours trying to farm it and still nothing. Some part must be giving it but i don't know which...

And the beauty of it is that if you take affection quest you need to do it or you can't progress main story.
Gee, no thanks i have better things to do than farming stupid monster for part of it for fucking bullshit out of nowhere wants of some character that will give me neither stuff or any story value.

World is fantastic but it is clear they spend most of the time making it while there is very little of everything else here.

After spending so much time with it i am shocked how little story there is. I finished chapter 4 and barely any cutscenes other than some random npc garbage cutscenes that bring nothing.

I don't understand why they thought npc aspect of xenoblade chronicles needed to feature now 100+npc and be huge feature.

Perkel

Arcane
No.
There is 13 year old pedo trap.
Irina that looks like crossbread between mongol invader and horse he rode on.
Elma who looks like the most generic anime character you could ever think of and behaves exactly the same.

though i saw once tentacle lady it SM gear if this is kind of your fetish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom