Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xenonauts vs. OpenXcom

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Which is better and why?

Discuss!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Xenonauts CE has the better gameplay.
Openxcom has the better atmosphere.

</discuss>

Aothan

Magister
Space Hulk has good ambience, but it does not play like X-Com, and the last I played much of the game became too simplified around overwatch and corridors

Templar Battleforce might be of similar interests, though I'm still at the start (and trying to figure out how to level Engineers)

I'm also curious about the X-Com modifications because I've never played either

edit: and I see now Xenonaughts is a 'remake' so to speak, looks good

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Xenonaughts with x-division mod is the best, but openxcom has some good mods and is definitely worth playing. Sadly, few change the soldiers. One makes them into classes, with the ability to unlock two more, but they function exactly the same as unmoded soldiers and just impact the same attributes. I think both games would dramatically benefit from a new xcom like skill tree as seen in TLW.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Xenonaughts with x-division mod is the best, but openxcom has some good mods and is definitely worth playing. Sadly, few change the soldiers. One makes them into classes, with the ability to unlock two more, but they function exactly the same as unmoded soldiers and just impact the same attributes. I think both games would dramatically benefit from a new xcom like skill tree as seen in TLW.
:retarded:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
:retarded:

You don't like rpg systems and meaningful character development?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I certainly wouldn't mind a skill tree or skill system of other kind in addition to what OpenXcom or Xenonauts offers. But I don't really see the necessity.

On the actual comparison, OpenXcom wins because X-Piratez isn't available for Xenonauts.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I played xenonauts since early access and unfortunately it never felt "fun". It's like X-Com with a stick up its ass.

X-Piratez is the best.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Open Xcom has better art style and mood.

It just looks and feels better despite having a 20 y old engine.
It also lets you bring in more troops from mission 1 and they die more as a result which results in better horror feel.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I've played both of these now. The art style in Xenonauts is not as charming as OpenXcom. Xenonauts has a cooler air combat minigame. It boils down to as others have said the atmosphere and pixel art of the 90's games always trumping this smooth 3D shit we have had since the RPG Decline began. They play a lot alike either way so you win no matter what.

I hope Xenonauts 2 is better, but some of the changes worry me.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Considering how Xenonauts is basically XCOM UFO Defense, but with a more tedious interception minigame...OpenXcom
XCOM had the better art style, and better base building.
I like Xenonauts, but it felt like they were trying too hard to copy XCOM rather than make a game that could stand up on its own merits.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, they stripped away some of the finnicky parts of the old game (playing quartermaster when as a commander you shouldn't be bothering with that, interrogations, containment facilities), but at the same time they also kept a lot of the stupid crap on the tactical parts and even took away some convenient items, like the proximity mine.
The lack of proximity mines make breaching a lot harder and more tedious than it should be.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I played an early demo of Xenonauts a long time ago and wasn't crazy about it but i just decided to give it another go.

This thread clearly needs more input, here's mine.

I played with X:CE v0.35 (Xenonauts community edition patch), didn't save the link but i'm sure it's easy enough to find
XXP (Xpansion Pack - mod staying true to the vanilla version)
Fix pack "mod"
Tropical tiles "mod"

Positive alterations from the original XCOM (95% of them from OpenXcom too)

Geoscape
  • Easy squad aerial combat (just highlight as many fighters as you like)
  • Interceptors in range when you launch an interception from the UFO / target
  • Enemy interceptors attacking your transport and your own interceptors
  • Alien sighting reports on the global map
  • Direct funding visualization on the global map (global / by block)
  • Enemy interceptors squads
  • Aerial terrors (bombing)
  • Flat geoscape
  • Infinite stock on basic weapons, grenades and consumables

Battlescape
  • Getting over low obstacles
  • Blobs ! Huge green ones !
  • Blood splatter / dmg numbers so you immediately know if the target/your guy is wounded
  • Real flamethrower (and AOE at that)
  • Real Gatling (10 rounds/burst)
  • Gatling laser !!!! (same as the previous one, except better)
  • Very good enemy IA
  • Medals (mostly increasing bravery)
  • Civilian militias attacking aliens, lot of them in terrors
  • Suppression fire (also working on friendly units)
  • Cover and cover indicator (3 directions and 3 cover types full, high and low)
  • Shooting from behind cover (most of them)
  • Can stop / change a movement target with some good reflexes
  • New alien lifts, sound effect + auto transporting
  • Unlimited flares in combat
  • Distinct enemy officers (at least once you studied them)
  • New psionic ability sound effect (let's not lie about it, the original one is horrible)
  • New aliens sound effects, different ones for different aliens
  • More cover in fields (tractors, bales ... )
  • Morale increasing above max when killing aliens
  • Nice looking UFOs

The bad
- Ridiculously small police, there's a mod for it but i've read it's slightly buggy and i'm not sure it's compatible with the mods i installed.

Verdict
I'm not far in the game, just 2+ month and i just equipped my squad with the first improved armor and laser weapons.
Still, so far, it's VERY good, UFO defense is probably in my Top 5 games of all times, still, i find this version of Xenonauts (with the installed mods) to be superior to the original, keeping in mind UFO is the original and the masterpiece, here.

Also, i've read there's far more combat to do to keep up, i don't think so because research is also faster, i had 2 monthly income global increase with 10 ground missions (5 per month).

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
No, i only played the Area 51 mod with openXcom, which i enjoyed, i don't intend to play Xpiratez.

I think the comparison is a bit unfair, because we all know the main attractive of Openxcom is its use as a modding plataform

Of course it is but my comparison was also with the original game.
So, yes, it's extremely unfair, i'm sure if microprose / mythos had develop their game with actual tools, the game would blow our minds, still, that's a game which is still playable and more, enjoyable 25 years later, that's an achievement.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
Ufo Defense art style and atmosphere is still better than Xenonauts, despite beign a 15 years older game.

They tried to make that cold war style just to differentiate a bit, but it is just worse and less appealing.

Even the Nuxcom (EU) got it right.

I am sad that they kept the same setting for Xenonauts 2.

agris

Arcane
Patron
How does one arrive at that conclusion when it's filled with anime? It's certainly an atmosphere, but superior?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom