Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Yahtzee does New Vegas

Stinger

Arcane
When did he say Torment had good writing? In his ZP videos the only time I remember him making a reference to Torment was in some really hard game where he said he died more times than TNO in a blender- which just seemed like a throwaway reference.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
There's one where he's talking about good narrative or writing and there's a image of several games, PS:T was one of them.

Don't remember anything like you mentioned.

turul

Augur
Why is it that people sound like they got a serious butthurt from a reviewer who doesn't even like rpgs much?
Beside that point, his review of Oblivion was the first non oblivionfag review I have seen, beside the codexers, and he quickly pointed out what 99% of the problems even though is own fans were outraged.
The guy is a console gamer, he said it many times. Just look for his review about Assassin of Kings. What yahtzee does is usually points out flaws of a game (and society in general) and magnifies it 100x.
His reviews are 80% spot on about games and (and publishers as well) but he does screw up or just nitpicking for the lulz.

He does this for a living for crying out loud and he did start out on youtube as a solo amateur, and then got hired by the Escapist magazine later.

Stinger

Arcane
The issue is that he clearly didn't bother playing FNV and just wrote it off as exactly like Fallout 3 despite the fact that its writing, quest design and combat mechanics were significantly different.

His stupid roleplaying story and subsequent column showed that he barely played the game and still dared to talk about it as though he knew all about it.

thesoup

Arcane
He actually said PS:T was too boring for him; didn't complete the first chapter. Too much text, not enough combat.
I also highly doubt he played the first two Fallout games.

edit
Damn it, last page. Didn't see that fullyramblomatic link until now.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I think you guys shouldn't take his reviews TOO seriously. I rather would describe Yahtzee as a comedian instead of a serious reviewer. Some of his reviews are superficial and some others are brilliant and really brought up the facts, why this certain game sucked so hard. Besides that, his little off-topic sections in his videos are really really funny and I do like the fact, that he is criticising the current stagnation of video games. I personally do love his videos and involve them when I'm thinking about buying a new game.

Snefix

Novice
It's also entirely possible to disagree with this single review, while also agreeing with most of his other reviews. Or comedy sketches, if his review of RPG games skews you towards thinking everything he does is terrible, thus he is a 'comedian' rather than a 'reviewer.'

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Diablo1_reborn said:
I rather would describe Yahtzee as a comedian instead of a serious reviewer.
That would work if he was actually funny...

PWSteal.Ldpinch.D said:
AlaCarcuss said:
Metro said:
Only 'reviewer' I've seen that does a pretty solid job of explaining the strengths and weaknesses of games is a dude on youtube that goes by 'antisocialfatman.' Unfortunately his reviews are fairly sporadic as he's not professional and isn't comped games.

Yeah, I've been subscribed to his channel for a while, he's quite good - puts most of the so called professionals to shame :thumbsup:
Just a heads up, turns out the guy died a few days back at the age of 27 :(

http://asfm.freeforums.org/asfm-remembered-t234.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/antisocialfatman#g/u

A real shame, he was a damn good reviewer and he was just getting into the swing of doing videos on a (bi)weekly level, upgrading his computer so that he could review newer games and so on.

Check his work out if you haven't already.
"The actual cause of Stephen's death was a massive pulmonary embolism as the result of a blood clot that formed in his leg and traveled to his lung."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom