Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Yahtzee does Oblivion

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

HanoverF <a href="http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24513">posted this in our forum</a> but it needs more attention. Yahtzee, that guy on the Escapist who does little video reviews, <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/75-Oblivion">has decided to take on Oblivion</a>. The verdict? "One of the least immersive RPGS I've ever played."

cazsim83

Novice
first post - yay me!

About the only guy I like more who's anti-shit games is The Angry Video Game Nerd - Escapist is a close second though.

J1M

Arcane
Generally this guy is not funny at all, but when you cram 200 joke attempts into 3 minutes a couple are bound to hit. That's what this stuff is, bad comedy. It's not a review or a decent commentary on the state of gaming.

Example: we know he didn't install any mods playing this game but he praises Oblivion's interface on PC... which is possibly the most consolized piece of shit since DX2.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
I don't know. I found it to be quite funny and spot on. Heck as soon as I had a chance to watch it, I came straight here to see if anyone had posted about it yet. Only two posts so far... bah!

Fez

Erudite
dojoteef said:
I don't know. I found it to be quite funny and spot on. Heck as soon as I had a chance to watch it, I came straight here to see if anyone had posted about it yet. Only two posts so far... bah!

You're still alive.

There's another thread on this with the usual arguments in it if you're missing your fill.

NiM82

Prophet
J1M said:
he praises Oblivion's interface on PC... which is possibly the most consolized piece of shit since DX2.

He simply noted it's a bit more user friendly than Morrowind - which is true. He hardly praised it.

Section8

Cipher
Of all the things you cold criticise Oblivion for - the lack of immersion? Fuck yeah. They may not care about the sort of criticisms we level at them but that one's gotta hurt.

denizsi

Arcane
Don't get so low. If VD's review dissections were well served meals albeit with exaggerated food decoration and multiple flatware to confuse the average Joe, Yahtzee's unqualified opinions served as reviews are fast-food trash. You can like both but it's obvious which is healthier.

Of all the flaws the game had, only pick "immersion" to bash it? Translation: "I simply didn't like the game and quit after a few hours". Valid reason as a gamer, shitty reason for a reviewer. I know that's what he usually does and for that, refer to my first paragraph.

Mind you, he's also the same guy who placed a special emphasis on the protagonist's name in its authentic form with the correct pronounciation in The Witcher, ie.Geralt, to make fun of it. Wasn't Americanized enough for him, perhaps.

Micmu

Magister
"One of the least immersive RPGS I've ever played."
True. It's painfully arcadified and only a step away from GTA, shit story, shit characters, shit(tened) lore, shit(tened) world, etc.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
He criticizes the game for "lack of immersion" but also says that the interface is good for a PC RPG. When he says that the interface is actually good, all credibility disappears just about instantly.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
This "Game-bashing-review" was... meh - at best. His earlier "Painkiller" review was far more funny.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Why can't you dumbasses understand that reviewers are ordinary gamers, themselves, and their opinions are of no more value than of an average Joe. The professionalism manifests itself not in the form of conclusions made in the review, but the thougthful and elaborate *description* of the gameplay aspects, on all levels of the gameplay. The conclusions are up to the reader to make. ANd while Yahtzee lacks the structure and all the jazz, he does point out the main gameplay issues - in a humorous way, to boot. What's not to like? But I agree -- it's a bit far-fetched to consider yahtzee a proper reviewer, but he's a riot and he does hit the bullseye on many aspects of the gameplay of most games he reviews.

MetalCraze

Arcane
"reviewers" who write readme files like "the graphics is wow, the gameplay contains blah, and there is a feature meh " suck.
that's why Yahtzee is a much better reviewer than all those generic ign/gamespot hoes. and other much more normal "reviewers".

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
"Professional" reviewers are whores and tools of the capitalist system. Yahtzee's the rambling village idiot. I prefer to listen to the rambling village idiot in this case.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Vaarna_Aarne said:
"Professional" reviewers are whores and tools of the capitalist system. Yahtzee's the rambling village idiot. I prefer to listen to the rambling village idiot in this case.

J1M

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
That doesn't make him any more than a rambling village idiot though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom