Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are tons of fully animated cutscenes (with lip-sync and better character models) in the game - the stylized ones with still models and dialogue are pretty rare. I just don't understand how you could say this looks poor (especially for realtime - nevermind the pretty bad DoF implementation):

BB9EA922D71BA69D9225760583A3DF7CEB14A601

11FF2133C70BD5D74EDF98588FB852F9CCCDB230

I guess you mean pre-rendered cutscenes? There are none of those (and thankfully so).

As for the fighting controls, I think you have to realize that they are a sort of heir of SEGA arcade beat-em-ups, like Die Hard Arcade or Spikeout. I think it's pretty great (especially the boss fights), and some of the power moves look incredibly brutal and feel awesome.

well the talk with the mafia lieutenants was well animated as a cutscene, i dont know how frequent it is, but yeah, i am obly like 1 hour in the game, probably gonna change my mind tonight.

I also never really played beatemup aside from some old NES game.

Jinn

Arcane
Despite the frequency of detailed cutscenes, the detail of this world is probably only rivaled by the Trails series. There is something to find everywhere, and I imagine a lot of the characters are ones you're going to see in future installments. If this is low budget, give me more low budget games.

As for movement and combat: I love it absolutely. The world movement makes you feel like you're an actual person navigating the world. Combat has a precision to it that feels clumsy at first, but quickly shows itself to be a dance in more challenging circumstances.

Also, I helped a kid get back his copy of Dragon Quest III, so damn.

With a heartwarming father-son moment at the end. Going off to level up together. "That's how games should be played" says Kiryu

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Also, I helped a kid get back his copy of Dragon Quest III, so damn.

With a heartwarming father-son moment at the end. Going off to level up together. "That's how games should be played" says Kiryu
Just wait until you get the substory where you help an innocent boy become a Sophisticated Lad.

Also it's that big heart and empathy that makes Yakuza special, Kiryu is a shining beacon of positive masculinity.

EDIT:
But in regards to more of the tearjerkingly big-hearted moments, just wait until you hear Majima talk to a little girl about broken toys or when Kiryu consoles the children's game part-timer who's being crushed by life.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Kiryu is a champion. One of the best game protagonist I've ever seen.

He urges the player to be a better person. Not in superficial ways, but in understandable and down-to-earth ways.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Despite the frequency of detailed cutscenes, the detail of this world is probably only rivaled by the Trails series. There is something to find everywhere, and I imagine a lot of the characters are ones you're going to see in future installments. If this is low budget, give me more low budget games.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing how intimate you get with the locales after playing many of the entries, and there are quite a lot of recurring characters. Just recently I played 6 and there is a sidequest there that is directly related to a sidequest featured in 0, for example.

The dialogue is really well-written in these games, and while majority of the sub quests in all honesty are really simple fetch quests, the utmost sincerity of these stories is pretty much unrivaled.

Deflowerer

Arcane
This is it, boys. Floodgates have been opened.

Yakuza 6 on 60 fps maybe? No screen tearing? YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I get to play 2 more hours tonight. I let it soak in instead of playing it half asleep like yesterday because i want a little taste.

I got my mind even blown more. The city is so fucking detailed, i think most, if not all buildings are unique, including the non interactive one. Those with interiors are also detailed, offer alot variety and stuff.

The cutscene are alot better than my initial impression, like the one wit kuze before, during and after the boss battle.TThe writing, voice acting and story is tight so far. Excellent.

As i get used to the combat, it became better. Kuze as first boss feels awesome. The momeb you side-step him while he is comboing, and perform combo on your own, finish it with heat explosion, man that feels awesome.

Chapter 1 done, and the later chapter will probably be alot less linear. If chapter 1 is just the preview of whats to come, then i am fucking hyped for later chapters, fights, stories.

Fucking A game

Vaarna_Aarne

Pretty much the only gripe I personally have with the way the storytelling is handled in Yakuza games is that they really, REALLY like secret doorways.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I am in chapter 2 so far and have encountered a problem with the saves,it seem not to really save the game once in a while and fuck up my inventory and equipment randomly.It has happened twice so far and I had to reload and play some parts again,has this happened to anyone else?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Pretty much the only gripe I personally have with the way the storytelling is handled in Yakuza games is that they really, REALLY like secret doorways.

They also love convoluted plot twists, dialogs and stories about the villain not being the actual villain.

I think it was Yakuza 4 where I spent the final boss fights having no idea why I was fighting those guys.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Not to mention the (Yakuza 4 spoilers):
rubber bullets :lol::lol:

Mind you, the main writer / plotter had not read a book in his life before writing Yakuza 1, and apparently the way he plots things is that he goes chapter by chapter. So he really doesn't know either who is the villain until he finishes writing the final chapter.

:lol::lol:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
RPG of the year

Also apparently there's music restoration, fixing the music/dialogue noise ratio & save anywhere shit that adds two amazing songs that everyone and their dog should do which is good.

Vaarna_Aarne

I presume that means the original Japanese opening song, since due to licensing costs that isn't in the game outside of Japan?

(The licensed songs not being included in releases outside of Japan is kind of standard for the series; Soubou from Yakuza 6 is the most recent example)

Deflowerer

Arcane
Well, omitting Soubou from the opening credits kind of sucked, but I think the composed music for the first ending credit sequence in Western release actually fits that moment better than them using Soubou again.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah apparently you can get it in the game if you do some asset replacements, 2.7GB download Steamguide for it

Morkar Left

Anybody else has problems not getting the gamepad recognized? It works for other games and I'm kind of clueless now...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom