Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

TheWorld

Educated
Just started. The game looks pretty good. The combat is fun and the cut-scenes are full of those manly hokuto-no-ken-like moments that only the jap manage to do so well. My only gripe for now (just got pass the first boss) is that up to now there were some pretty long sequences without having a chance to save, which is a problem for me since my sessions tend to be pretty short.

How's the upgrade system in the game? Should you specialize in one style\branch or are you free to play around? It looks like the price of upgrades increase a lot for each level in a branch, and so I guess that the game wants you to spend your points in different branches\styles.

Looking forward to playing a bit more and trying all the crazy subquests everybody talks about.

Ivan

Arcane
Good idea on turning off the mini-map. I'm not quite there yet but maybe soon :D

Also, I'm really really liking the Rush fighting style.

Oh, also, word of warning: I've read that some people who use the Clown (by the Shrine) to acquire free pre-order items may get their inventories bugged. I'm the kind of fellow who hates pre-order DLC that makes the game easier, cosmetics are fine but I instantly walked away from clown man when I saw his shit was for the taking.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
How's the upgrade system in the game? Should you specialize in one style\branch or are you free to play around? It looks like the price of upgrades increase a lot for each level in a branch, and so I guess that the game wants you to spend your points in different branches\styles.
There's two things to note about the upgrade system: First off, and this is the important bit, Health upgrades are applied to all styles, so they should take at least some degree of priority. Secondly, the upgrade paths final two rings are unlocked through progression in the business side quest of each character (except for the fourth style, which has them unlocked by Completion Points reward).

When it comes to cash, the fastest way to get it is by hunting down Mr Shakedown repeatedly. Eventually their power and payout caps (somewhere around and over 1 billion yen). The easy way to fight Mr Shakedown is to start the fight in an area with a lot of bicycles, pack a two thirds inventory of Staminan Royale/Incomparable Habu, maybe a few high ammo capacity pistols (pistols give HUGE amounts of Heat when they hit), best baseball bat/knife or two you can get, and then use Heat moves with environmental objects, the baseball bats/knives and unarmed when they're on the ground after either of the two. Mr Shakedown is overall immune to any sort of staggering, but Heat actions work just the same and can knock them down (and deal notably more damage than getting a couple of punches in between their recovery). Slime Gun and Zap Gun are also supposedly pretty effective against Mr Shakedown.

If and when you get the Encounter Finder accessory, you can pinpoint where Mr Shakedown is anywhere on the map. Incidentally, Encounter Finder is one reason to learn to save before doing sidequests, since Kiryu's Encounter Finder can be missed as it's only rewarded from the second Michael Jackson sidequest.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
they have a great sense of humor ish

rJX6kYl.jpg

(ps. i am doing this only because the clerk have a sidequest)

Modron

Arcane
(ps. i am doing this only because the clerk have a sidequest)
Don't forget the completion points as well.
They also count towards the friendship with a truly enlightened character in the next chapter, but don't worry any watched videos retroactively count towards that
The disco dancing dance competitions will be the death of me :negative:

PrettyDeadman

Damn, Majima is just so much stronger than Kiryu.
Every one of his styles blows Kiryu out of the water...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Friendship with the truly enlightened character in Sotenbori is also requirement for being able to purchase Incomparable Habu

Damn, Majima is just so much stronger than Kiryu.
Every one of his styles blows Kiryu out of the water...
It's a question of preference IMO. Kiryu has a free and more accurate de-stagger counter attack with his Brawler (Majima's costs Heat and due to the finger strike being very narrow and short-ranged it often misses) along with a more mobile and wider hitting combo array, Rush has less wind-up required than Breaker, and Beast can effectively use objects nearby for stagger-protection and area control while having no problem with being too close to walls like many Slugger combos do.

Best way to look at it is really that Kiryu's styles are all very straightforward and direct in their use, while Majima's styles have more unorthodox moves and tricks (ie, Breaker pose and counter).

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Funny story, apparently they censored the Sushi bar substory in Osaka because in the original JP version it was all about how the chef didn't think women could be chefs, and the woman proves him wrong (but still doesn't cook better than him because 20 years younger).

None of that however made it through localisation.

Also Osaka Mr Libido jesus motherloving christ on a pony

Jinn

Arcane
I just got to the point where Kiryu becomes a ""President."

I can't believe how this game just continues to surprise and provide more content even after 20 hours. Now I'm playing a business management sim/strategy RPG that ties into a lot of the substories I've completed with its mechanics. This is glorious!

I'm trying to be sensitive with spoilers while continuing to talk about the gameplay. The above isn't too bad of a spoiler, and happens about 20 hours in for me (side content included)

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

It's a question of preference IMO. Kiryu has a free and more accurate de-stagger counter attack with his Brawler (Majima's costs Heat and due to the finger strike being very narrow and short-ranged it often misses) along with a more mobile and wider hitting combo array, Rush has less wind-up required than Breaker, and Beast can effectively use objects nearby for stagger-protection and area control while having no problem with being too close to walls like many Slugger combos do.

Best way to look at it is really that Kiryu's styles are all very straightforward and direct in their use, while Majima's styles have more unorthodox moves and tricks (ie, Breaker pose and counter).

Brawler's destagger attack doesn't really help that much in situations when you are gettting staggered (in mid game when there are mod enemies which become more agressive and faster), since it does very little damage (cannot really kill one of the enemies which are staggering you) and leads you to being staggered immediately again (in the time you do 1 hit, enemies will do 5-6 hits to you). The only way to escape staggering is either using heat art or dodging away.

It's strange that you say that Kiryu has more aoe stuff, in my experience his attacks are focused on relatively small angle in from off him, while Majima has a whole style dedicated to 360 degree attacking (breaker), plus his batter has more aoe than any of Kiryus normal styles except Beast.
Beast can be really powerful against crowds, but only if you have a lot of space and heavy hitting objects. In smaller environment Kiryu gets surrounded really fast and can easily get hit 10+ times before he does one hit, which often leads to stagger and knockdown, sometimes even with 3 bars of heat.
Rush doesn't work that well against crowds at all because a lot of enemies start getting armor in mid game and you usually get hit and staggered if you try to do any sort of power atack combo in a crowd of enemies larger than 2.

Maybe you are playing on not the hardest difficulty?

Ivan

Arcane
This game is awesome. So much charm and heart in the sidequests + that awesome encounter at the massage parlor w/ Majima.

So happy the rest of the series is coming to PC.

Jinn

Arcane
Are all other Yakuza games as charming and heartwarming as this? I'm fucking loving this game.

Every one that I've play, which I guess is only 0, 1 and 2, have so much love put into them. That love shines through its gameplay and characters. Just a great series.

Ivan

Arcane
Awesome, that fact these are being ported over to PC piecemeal means I can't binge the series, even though I'd probably be unable to stop myself had they all been ported at once.

Modron

Arcane
For most of my playthrough this was a pretty good port, low system requirements but looks pretty damn good. However, when I unlocked that final Kiryu fighting style Dragon of Dojima and invested in it the game now stutters a bit when running through his area. I mean it's not game breaking but I dunno why after 60 hours the game's performance would suddenly decline.
Verified integrity of the install no change :negative:, who knows maybe it's like some mid 2000s rpg game and the saves have just gotten too convoluted or something and i need to sell off crap in my item box.

Misco Jones

Savant
For most of my playthrough this was a pretty good port, low system requirements but looks pretty damn good. However, when I unlocked that final Kiryu fighting style Dragon of Dojima and invested in it the game now stutters a bit when running through his area. I mean it's not game breaking but I dunno why after 60 hours the game's performance would suddenly decline.
Verified integrity of the install no change :negative:, who knows maybe it's like some mid 2000s rpg game and the saves have just gotten too convoluted or something and i need to sell off crap in my item box.

Setting Yakuza0.exe to high priority on task manager fixed the stuttering for me.

If it works and you don't want to change priority every time:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/638970/discussions/0/1739964766311874887/

Ivan

Arcane
Is there any word on when the Ramake of Yakuza 1 is releasing?

Also, I have some sound/static issue that reoccurs after 40 min of play, not really anything that dampens my love for the game though.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First patch released:

Hi Yakuza fans,

We’re officially re-launching Patch 1 which addresses the following issues:

• Fix for crashes on boot and in cutscenes/gameplay.
• Fix for crash when using Staminans to gain consecutive Heat abilities during Chapter 10 Fight.
• Fix for crash in Pocket Circuit mini-game after selecting a rematch with an opponent.

Thank you to everyone who fed back on our beta branch version. Your continued patience and support have been greatly appreciated. We’re continuing to work on the other issues some of you are experiencing and will have more information for you soon.

Best, SEGA Dev

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom