Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yammering About RPGs With Fluent

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

Yo.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I think this forum should work. I started a Yammering About RPGs With Fluent series (not the catchiest title, I know :P), and thought some of you might be interested. Maybe you want to hear about unique elements from RPGs of yesteryear, or some sort of interesting tidbit from an RPG that you might not have been up on, etc. If so, there might be something of interest in this series for you. I like to analyze the RPGs I've played to an extent and use my Yammer skill to make a video about what I think is interesting about them. :)

Check out the first video in the series, where I start with one of my favorite RPG series of all-time, the Suikoden series. The video has a slight focus on Suikoden 3 but touches upon the other games in the series as well. Yes, this is a console JRPG (blasphemy! I know...), but there are a lot of interesting ideas in the game that I think any fan of RPGs can appreciate. I talk a bit longer than I wanted to about it and there is a bit of rambling in there (unscripted, you know how it goes. :) ), but you might find something of interest there. The series has features like 108 characters, turn-based combat, strategy war battles and more.

Episode 1 -

If you do watch it, let me know what you think about it. If you have any suggestions for future RPGs to talk about, or any ideas/comments/whatever, feel free to leave them here or in the YouTube comments. Hope you enjoy! Peace.

Deleted Member 16721

Hmm. This first episode is about a JRPG, but future episodes will be about CRPGs as well. In fact, it will likely focus on CRPGs much more than JRPGs since most of my favorite RPGs of late are all computer role-playing games. I put this thread here to cover General RPGs.

And to call it crap I assume you're calling this specific JRPG crap (or my video, which is fine with me :) ). I have to wonder if you know anything about the Suikoden series in particular to call it crap, though. This specific game series is not about spiky-haired protagonists and interactive movies, there are some deep and complex Role-Playing Elements in it which I think fans of Role-Playing Games might like. Watch the video and see if it still sounds like crap afterwards. Then post and tell us why. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hmm. This first episode is about a JRPG, but future episodes will be about CRPGs as well. In fact, it will likely focus on CRPGs much more than JRPGs since most of my favorite RPGs of late are all computer role-playing games. I put this thread here to cover General RPGs.

And to call it crap I assume you're calling this specific JRPG crap (or my video, which is fine with me :) ). I have to wonder if you know anything about the Suikoden series in particular to call it crap, though. This specific game series is not about spiky-haired protagonists and interactive movies, there are some deep and complex Role-Playing Elements in it which I think fans of Role-Playing Games might like. Watch the video and see if it still sounds like crap afterwards. Then post and tell us why. :)
I call all jrpg crap. I call all console games crap. So this is not just crap, this is double crap.

Deleted Member 16721

I call all jrpg crap. I call all console games crap. So this is not just crap, this is double crap.

All you have to do is simply check out games like Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI and countless other console RPGs to see the type of quality these games have.

I love PC a lot and I prefer it in many ways but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy RPGs on other platforms as well.

CRPG = console roleplaying game in your mind? :lol:

I honestly didn't know what CRPG meant until a few years ago. I did think it meant console roleplaying game for a minute there. :lol:

ArchAngel

Arcane

All you have to do is simply check out games like Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI and countless other console RPGs to see the type of quality these games have.

I love PC a lot and I prefer it in many ways but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy RPGs on other platforms as well.

CRPG = console roleplaying game in your mind? :lol:

I honestly didn't know what CRPG meant until a few years ago. I did think it meant console roleplaying game for a minute there. :lol:
They have 2x crap quality as I said already. There is no saving grace for jrpg on consoles.

bitch, the best blobber to release recently was Elminage Gothic. which is a jrpg. not like the dancing simulator like grimrock.

the best action rpg in recent uears was dark souls. not all those shitty popamoles with zero challenge and linear as fuck game play progression/maps.

Sure Japan produces a lot of shit, but there are gems of incline from there too. And western developers mostly produce shit too.

Deleted Member 16721

the best blobber to release recently was Elminage Gothic. which is a jrpg.

Oh, snap! That is correct. I almost forgot about the tons of Wizardry-style RPGs and old-school dungeon-crawlers that are JRPGs. I was specifically talking about the "Stereotyped JRPG", aka basically another name for Final Fantasy-style games. When most people use the term JRPG that is essentially what they are talking about, IMO.

ArchAngel

Arcane
bitch, the best blobber to release recently was Elminage Gothic. which is a jrpg. not like the dancing simulator like grimrock.

the best action rpg in recent uears was dark souls. not all those shitty popamoles with zero challenge and linear as fuck game play progression/maps.

Sure Japan produces a lot of shit, but there are gems of incline from there too. And western developers mostly produce shit too.
Those had a PC version so only crap. Maybe good crap in their field, but still jrpg trash.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That background music was like getting stuck in an elevator for 30 minutes. Don't do this bro.

Also, while it was interesting, it was spread thin... feels like you could've make a concise 10 minute video instead of rambling for 30 mins.

Deleted Member 16721

That background music was like getting stuck in an elevator for 30 minutes. Don't do this bro.

Also, while it was interesting, it was spread thin... feels like you could've make a concise 10 minute video instead of rambling for 30 mins.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I couldn't believe the video ending up being 30 minutes, hah. I was planning to make it 10 minutes and somehow activated Ramble Mode without realizing it. I'll have to figure that out for future videos.

As for the background music, they are my own creations. I am actually a big fan of that sort of lounge-ish type music. Point taken, though. :)

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 2 is up. I tried to be more concise (don't think it worked), removed the background music and also showed live gameplay footage during the Yammer. It comes off as more of a preview video, but eh. The new episode is a somewhat detailed look at the indie RPG, The Quest.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Subscribed! Not the best commentary but passable enough. Played it on My phone, had a great time with it the problem is there's not much to it, very simple and revels in the fact it is a throwback to other dungeon crawler games, plus it made me feel less of a faggot for owning an iOS product.

Deleted Member 16721

Subscribed! Not the best commentary but passable enough. Played it on My phone, had a great time with it

Thanks for subscribing. Hopefully you find other things of interest on my channel. All RPG-related stuff with a slight focus on the more obscure.

The Quest is simple in some ways but not overly so, IMO. It has a lot of RPG elements to keep one busy, and is much more in-depth than your typical casual RPGs. But it is a bit on the easy side overall. I think if they made the game more difficult and/or added extra difficulty options it would be even better. As-is it's still really good.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the game as well. Perfect RPG for a tablet. :)

Deleted Member 16721

Thanks.

I'm just winging these so far. The first episode I had notes but I Yammered on a bit too much. I will keep thinking about and tweaking the approach.

Deleted Member 16721

Hey that was actually pretty good!

Thanks! :)

Game looks great, gonna have to try it out.

You mean The Quest? Yeah, it's great. A lot of bang for the buck there (it's worth its price and then some, IMO).

*Puts on protective bio-hazard suit* And if anyone wants to check out Suikoden, I'd suggest starting with the first game in the series. Good fun, fellows, good fun! :obviously: :)

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The Quest is bretty gud. Reminds me of Doom RPG and that other fantasy game they made in the same engine.

Deleted Member 16721

Doom RPG? And another fantasy game made with the same engine? Sounds interesting.

Deleted Member 16721

Yo yo! This isn't a Yammering episode, but I did create a new episode of another series I do on my channel. It's a Let's Discover video, where I check out various RPGs in a "blind" first try! In this video I take a look at the uber-classic CRPG, Darklands.

Note: Be warned, I have no background with Darklands and I am trying to figure it out as I go! Do not expect a professional or skilled Darklands player playing the game, but rather a seasoned RPG vet giving it a first look.

Peace!

deama

Prophet
I think you need to splice footages that are relavent to what you're talking about rather than doing a live play or a gameplay in the background.

Something like when you talk about "...I got this game back when I was a kid, it came in a box...", add in images of some kid from google and him opening a box in a amaturish way and looking all surprised with badly drawn paint eyebrows. Kinda like this guy:

Also, try adding in more emotion to your voice, like that guy above, or Ross from accused farms, or at least angry joe level.

Deleted Member 16721

Lol. Thanks for the feedback! :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom