Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yeah ok, seriously guys, STOP MERGING THREADS FFS

Mega-Threads

• Total voters

Jestai

Augur
Patron
Megathreads are a chore to read and I'm sure everyone who doesn't spend 3hours/day on this forum hates them.

catfood

AGAIN
Merging small threads into mega threads = communism. Seriously, it's annoying. Stop. Fucking. Doing. It. One of the things I used to appreciate about this place was that you could find multiple small threads about a game, instead of having to dig through 3749827498 pages long ones. The threads about the upcoming RPGs are particularly bad; for every 20 pages of discussion you get 20 more pages of IRC chat.

Take a look in the Chaos Chronicles forums: you have a loot thread, a multi-class thread, one about resting mechanics and so on. It's all very neat and tidy. If you want to discuss a particular topic then you can talk about it in that specific thread or make another separate one if the subject you're interested in isn't being discussed yet. Simple and effective.

Now take a look at the PE mega thread: it's a fucking mess. No one knows what the hell is being discussed anymore. What if someone wants to discuss the virtues or flaws of real time with CRAP popamole combat? That discussion took place like 400 pages ago. How is that person supposed to get that information from that giant ass thread anyway? It doesn't help that like half of the fucking thread is Roguey trolling the living shit out of retards, but whatever that's another topic.

The new batch of mods here is terrible. They think that they need to show everyone that they are doing a job and that they are present, so they always try to make their presence felt one way or the other. I don't know who you're trying to impress. Us? DU? Because by acting the way you do you are annoying everyone else and are doing harm to the place.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Take a look in the Chaos Chronicles forums: you have a loot thread, a multi-class thread, one about resting mechanics and so on. It's all very neat and tidy. If you want to discuss a particular topic then you can talk about it in that specific thread or make another separate one if the subject you're interested in isn't being discussed yet. Simple and effective.

And then there's this: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/chaos-chronicles-general-discussion-thread.76538/

catfood

AGAIN

And then there's this: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/chaos-chronicles-general-discussion-thread.76538/
What's your point? That one used to be in GRPGD before it was dumped into the CC forums. That one is being used less now that there is freedom in creating a separate thread for a particular subject.

Jestai

Augur
Patron
One thread for random chatter about a game isn't a bad thing as long as you have the option to have smaller and more focused ones.
Maybe you prefer to have one easier to follow "big thread". You need to understand that the vast majority of the users aren't like you, juggling between news and big threads on a hourly-basis. Most of us don't know what the fuck is going on.
In megathreads, information gets lost, quality is diluted by shit and the lack of focus encourages shitposting... Also, you never know if what you're saying is redundant.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
The new batch of mods here is terrible. They think that they need to show everyone that they are doing a job and that they are present, so they always try to make their presence felt one way or the other.
:x I'm pretty sure the only moderation I've done all week (and possibly longer) has been letting posts through the moderation queue. I pride myself on doing next to nothing as a mod, so I cannot let this foul slander stand. Plane tickets, bitch!
What you said about the CC subforum is completely true though, and if GRPG was like that, perhaps I'd actually be able to muster the will to post there.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Thingies and Stuffies said:
Infinitron makes me simmer with generic rage

All Infinitron does is post news though. The megathreads are all on the heads of the actual moderators.

I stop reading discussions when they suddenly jump forward many pages and feel disjointed. That's why I prefer reading the threads in RPG Codex news.

So you're saying the megathreads that Infinitron likes increase the perceived value of news threads, for which Infinitron is responsible?

:KKKONSPIRACY:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
4chan had a similar thing going on where people were making "general" threads on a topic and just bumping them forever and keeping them going. Recently they made a separate board for videogame general threads. Maybe there should be a megathread subforum?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You don't need to fear disturbing the "heavy users" as they are quite obviously already disturbed.
To be honest, I think some of our "heavy users" would be more at home in IRC, rather than on a forum.

Infinitron and Grunker between them must have roughly 50% of the posts in the Project Eternity megathread...
554 different users have made a total of 17,930 posts in the Eternity thread. Average is 32 posts each while the median however, is only 5. Top #20:

username posts
Infinitron 1831 (10.2%)
Captain Shrek 882
Jaesun 672
Roguey 519
Grunker 460
tuluse 424
evdk 414
Jasede 377
Hormalakh 340
J_C 289
Blaine 280
Excidium 254
suejak 253
Jarpie 239
FeelTheRads 218
TwinkieGorilla 203
Arkeus 193
Shadenuat 193
DraQ 189
Lord Andre 181​

Torment Thread, 6,126 posts by 341 different users. Average 18 posts per user, median of 4. Top #20:

username posts
Infinitron 657 (10.7%)
Jaesun 367
hiver 318
Blaine 238
Captain Shrek 220
evdk 201
Brother None 192
tuluse 164
FeelTheRads 160
Roguey 144
Excidium 115
Kirtai 108
Zeriel 100
Kem0sabe 100
Diablo169 91
Lancehead 83
Rake 79
Grunker 67
Akarnir 62
Zed 62​

Wasteland 2, 3,418 posts by 348 different users. Average 10, median 3. Top #20:

username posts
Infinitron 421 (12.3%)
TwinkieGorilla 138
General Maxson 136
sgc_meltdown 101
Brother None 100
Clockwork Knight 87
Jaesun 77
Blaine 75
FeelTheRads 66
Oesophagus 60
Roguey 59
hiver 56
tuluse 52
Excidium 51
udm 51
Captain Shrek 50
Brayko 41
Vault Dweller 36
Surf Solar 35
Kem0sabe 29​

Meanwhile, over in the non-cRPG RPG Forum, the BioWare / Mass Effect Thread has 11,523 total posts made by 470 different users. Average is 24, with median of 5. Top #20:

username posts
racofer 415 (3.6%)
Angthoron 366
Seboist 334
Infinitron 291
M4BE1R0 267
Andyman Messiah 263
DraQ 261
CrustyBot 253
Menckenstein 243
Vaarna_Aarne 188
RPGMaster 184
evdk 178
Ion Prothon II 168
Xor 158
Brinko 154
Freelance Henchman 151
Azalin 150
Ulminati 147
Jaesun 137
hoopy 137​

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion, 3,381 posts by 395 users. Average 8.5, median 3. Top #20:

username posts
DraQ 214 (6.3%)
GeeZee 138
Gord 122
Wyrmlord 105
abnaxus 103
ohWOW 90
Luzur 83
Clockwork Knight 77
Commissar Draco 75
Ed123 61
Bahamut 55
attackfighter 50
JarlFrank 46
racofer 43
Kahlis 40
roll-a-die 39
Zewp 37
DalekFlay 36
IDtenT 33
Sul 32​

So... ban Infinitron?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Meanwhile, over in the non-cRPG RPG Forum, the BioWare / Mass Effect Thread has 11,523 total posts made by 470 different users. Average is 24, with median of 5. Top #20:

username posts​
racofer 415 (3.6%)​
Angthoron 366​
Seboist 334​
Infinitron 291​
M4BE1R0 267​
Andyman Messiah 263​
DraQ 261​
CrustyBot 253​
Menckenstein 243​
Vaarna_Aarne 188​
RPGMaster 184​
evdk 178​
Ion Prothon II 168​
Xor 158​
Brinko 154​
Freelance Henchman 151​
Azalin 150​
Ulminati 147
Jaesun 137​
hoopy 137​

Well, shit.

My monocle is in the mail. I am no longer worthy of it. :(

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
If you mods are going to merge threads and make information hard to find (as thus I can't search for specific topics via topic titles, using the "intitle:" tag in Google), please update the OP of said merged thread with a comprehensive table of contents linking to every important post that was merged into this thread.

Thanks in advance for going all the way in your modding job instead of half-assing it.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
What the fuck was I posting so much about in PE? Ah well, at least I'm not in the popamole lists.

Helton

Arcane
Oh I get it now this is all a highly calculated ploy at forum-wide peace. Infinitron is Dr. Manhattan. Or a giant alien squid, if you're a comic book fag.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
DarkUnderlord I think it has to do with how you're used to consuming content on the Internet. It used to be to be more of a "pull model". You, the user, would go out and Google for the information you need. And highly specific topic names are certainly helpful for that.

But today, more people are getting most of their information online from things like blog feeds and Facebook subscriptions/notifications - the "push model". Megathreads fit with that paradigm. The megathread is your one-stop-shop for the latest information. Just click on the earliest unread post every day and read until the end.

Mark+Zuckerberg

Happy Birthday, Mr. Zuckerberg.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
But to other people, that posting pattern is a nightmare, because instead of one thread to watch, they now have 10 (20? 30?) threads to watch. Some people don't want to go looking for information. They want a place where the information - all of it - comes to them, in a systematic fashion.

Yes, some people also really like quest compasses and supercool minimal dialogues voiced by Patrick Stewart.

And regarding your "intellamectual" lingo, you pretentious cunt, are you trying to tell me that a forum that's been up for 11 years already, has a fuckton of its own hermetic gags and identity, has a hundred million billion people with distant join dates who still keep posting needs "more focus", "less obscure handling of information" and A MORE ROBUST "POSTING CULTURE" AND NO "TUNING IN"? Go to hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom