Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yeah ok, seriously guys, STOP MERGING THREADS FFS

Mega-Threads

• Total voters

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol:

The megathreads are there, Roxor. I didn't make them. You didn't make them. We all did.

I'm trying to explain the reality, not change it.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
News forum is for smaller, specialized threads with focused discussion on one aspect of a game.
GRPG forum is for megathreads which contain all the news, big or small, as it comes out, as well as a bunch of tangents that emerge as people argue.

I like the fact that such a split exists but the codex version only really works for the kickstarter RPGs. For older RPGs there's nowhere for the specialized threads to go and you get things like the wizardry megathread and the BG series thread, which probably should be eviscerated

ironyuri

:lol:

The megathreads are there, Roxor. I didn't make them. You didn't make them. We all did.

I'm trying to explain the reality, not change it.

DarkUnderlord said:
554 different users have made a total of 17,930 posts in the Eternity thread. Average is 32 posts each while the median however, is only 5. Top #20:

username posts
Infinitron 1831 (10.2%)

DarkUnderord said:
Torment Thread, 6,126 posts by 341 different users. Average 18 posts per user, median of 4. Top #20:

username posts
Infinitron 657 (10.7%)

DarkUnderlord said:
Wasteland 2, 3,418 posts by 348 different users. Average 10, median 3. Top #20:

username posts
Infinitron 421 (12.3%)

DarkUnderlord said:
Meanwhile, over in the non-cRPG RPG Forum, the BioWare / Mass Effect Thread has 11,523 total posts made by 470 different users. Average is 24, with median of 5. Top #20:

username posts
racofer 415 (3.6%)
Angthoron 366
Seboist 334
Infinitron 291

:rpgcodex:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Mods that merge everything into one thread are fucking douchebags. Fuck you for making me wade through thousands of posts to find that useful tidbit of information.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Mods that merge everything into one thread are fucking douchebags. Fuck you for making me wade through thousands of posts to find that useful tidbit of information.

Ever hear of google? :troll:

But yes, megathreads suck.This is why I stopped going into GRPGD alltogether like the others here, and also why I stopped perusing Kisckstarter threads (like the Larian one)

Also, bring back kingcomrade to show these 'tards how real moderating is done.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
If mods want to do something useful, they could start editing megathread OPs with all the notable updates and content pics of anticipated games complete with links to the specific posts in the thread.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Another idea, though this is only for kickstarters, maybe there should be a news aggregation thread for each big game. Only staff members can post in it and they put all the updates, formspring posts, something awful screen shots in there. Then the discussion thread(s) would be separate.

This would make the info actually easy to access and follow, while also fostering better discussions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another idea, though this is only for kickstarters, maybe there should be a news aggregation thread for each big game. Only staff members can post in it and they put all the updates, formspring posts, something awful screen shots in there. Then the discussion thread(s) would be separate.

This would make the info actually easy to access and follow, while also fostering better discussions.

You're not the only one to have this idea.

Perhaps in the end it's not really an issue of discussion at all, but of insufficiently comprehensive newsposting. I don't think the Codex front page needs to post every little tidbit of new information about the next great Kickstarter title, but it appears that there might be a demand for some kind of light-weight "KickstarterDex" subsite, which would cover everything and anything.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, just to make this clear, if someone posts a new thread saying "Hey guys I got a question about this Wizardry game" or posts impressions of his, say, Wizardry 6 playthrough, or something like that, it shouldn't be merged with the Wizardry thread? Why? I don't really care either way, but why have tens of 1- or 2-page Wizardry threads rather than keeping all Wizardry-related discussion in one, easy-to-check-out thread?
Because it's fucking annoying. Who wants to read a 200-page thread looking for some interesting discussions? I'd rather read 5 different Wizardry or PE discussions then read that mega 'everything you ever wanted to know about PE and we do mean everything' thread.

I'm not gonna lie: I vastly prefer megathreads. It mostly has to do with the fact that my time is extremely limited lately, and I only have a few larger threads bookmarked so I can check them out every morning over a cup of coffee. Having a lot of new threads pop up would make it impossible for me up keep up with them. I'm 100% sure I'm not gonna bother to check the forums for every new P:E-related thread -- I just don't have time for that. Checking up on a megathread is much much easier and faster for me, personally. Which I why I guess I spend more time lurking SA than the Codex lately. :oops:

I do acknowledge this is mostly a matter of taste and/or time, though, so I don't really care. Unfortunately, if megathreads go away, I won't be arsed to keep up with new P:E drama anymore, which is a shame -- but I understand this is my personal loss and most of the Codex prefers otherwise, so I'm fine with that.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
GamerDadCodex

Also, ban Crooked Bee until she gives proof of not accessing SA for at least 3 weeks.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think the problem is that it's impossible to find anything in a 700 page thread. So it only works when the idea is to constantly be creating new content (BTE). Separating the news out of the mega threads would achieve the purpose of all the offical information being in one place. Which seemed like a concern of yours. Then having multiple smaller threads would help discussion stay on topic and be interesting instead of having to tell someone that cooldowns aren't in the game every 10 pages because they didn't keep up.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
So, just to make this clear, if someone posts a new thread saying "Hey guys I got a question about this Wizardry game" or posts impressions of his, say, Wizardry 6 playthrough, or something like that, it shouldn't be merged with the Wizardry thread? Why? I don't really care either way, but why have tens of 1- or 2-page Wizardry threads rather than keeping all Wizardry-related discussion in one, easy-to-check-out thread?
Because it's fucking annoying. Who wants to read a 200-page thread looking for some interesting discussions? I'd rather read 5 different Wizardry or PE discussions then read that mega 'everything you ever wanted to know about PE and we do mean everything' thread.

I'm not gonna lie: I vastly prefer megathreads. It mostly has to do with the fact that my time is extremely limited lately, and I only have a few larger threads bookmarked so I can check them out every morning over a cup of coffee. Having a lot of new threads pop up would make it impossible for me up keep up with them. I'm 100% sure I'm not gonna bother to check the forums for every new P:E-related thread -- I just don't have time for that. Checking up on a megathread is much much easier and faster for me, personally. Which I why I guess I spend more time lurking SA than the Codex lately. :oops:

I do acknowledge this is mostly a matter of taste and/or time, though, so I don't really care. Unfortunately, if megathreads go away, I won't be arsed to keep up with new P:E drama anymore, which is a shame -- but I understand this is my personal loss and most of the Codex prefers otherwise, so I'm fine with that.
If you recognize that most of the Codex prefers otherwise, then you should moderate accordingly to the wishes of your constituents.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
SA is a p. cool forum :cool: Certainly better than this thread, or most of the threads on the Codex lately.

Crooked Bee

Patron

If you recognize that most of the Codex prefers otherwise, then you should moderate accordingly to the wishes of your constituents.

I do not really moderate, nor do I care about moderating.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

I'm not gonna lie: I vastly prefer megathreads. It mostly has to do with the fact that my time is extremely limited lately, and I only have a few larger threads bookmarked so I can check them out every morning over a cup of coffee. Having a lot of new threads pop up would make it impossible for me up keep up with them. I'm 100% sure I'm not gonna bother to check the forums for every new P:E-related thread -- I just don't have time for that. Checking up on a megathread is much much easier and faster for me, personally. Which I why I guess I spend more time lurking SA than the Codex lately.

Quite a dilemma... So, you don't have time to check all threads because you're too busy lurking on SA and you lurk on SA because the megathreads fucking suck. Women, eh?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
LOL at people who thought I'd go on a crusade ITT without knowing the editor of the site agreed with me. :smug:

Seriously though, for all the whining here, I don't see anybody actually taking initiative and posting new Project Eternity or Wasteland 2 or Torment threads. Go ahead guys, nobody will stop you.

What I suspect is that most people realize that, ultimately, it would be kind of weird to have a ton of threads on the Codex for a game that isn't even out yet. The exception is if it's in a dedicated official forum for said game (like Chaos Chronicles).

Maybe the Codex could have used a Project Eternity subforum.

Crooked Bee

Patron

I'm not gonna lie: I vastly prefer megathreads. It mostly has to do with the fact that my time is extremely limited lately, and I only have a few larger threads bookmarked so I can check them out every morning over a cup of coffee. Having a lot of new threads pop up would make it impossible for me up keep up with them. I'm 100% sure I'm not gonna bother to check the forums for every new P:E-related thread -- I just don't have time for that. Checking up on a megathread is much much easier and faster for me, personally. Which I why I guess I spend more time lurking SA than the Codex lately.

Quite a dilemma... So, you don't have time to check all threads because you're too busy lurking on SA and you lurk on SA because the megathreads fucking suck. Women, eh?

I didn't say I was too busy lurking on SA. SA has megathreads so I easily check out the few I have bookmarked. Fast and easy.

No need to be ascribing things I didn't say to me, VD ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom