Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yeah ok, seriously guys, STOP MERGING THREADS FFS

Mega-Threads

• Total voters

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
To be honest, I think some of our "heavy users" would be more at home in IRC, rather than on a forum.

Jeez, I just tried to imagine a what a Codex IRC server would be like. I think my brain blew a fuse.

Though it would be worth it just for the watching a major accident feeling.

irc.gamesurge.net/codexdh

EG

Nullified
DU stealing my "occur organically" thing.

Clearly, I should be mod so that I might inspire him further. :mad:

Monty

Arcane

Yes, I'm sure there will always be a few threads that turn into megathreads where people spam on the issue of the day. I doubt anyone has an issue with that.

But when someone starts a dedicated thread to debate a specific aspect of the game it's frustrating to see it mixed into a massive megathread because 'we already have a thread for that game'.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member

Me, on page one said:

I don't mind there naturally being large general threads about games. My issue is when other long threads that stood on their own get merged into it.
Clearly your inspiration came from my inspiration. That'll be $5.

- Classic cRPG Discussion (Old School, Indies, KickStarters and "RPGs considered Classics")
- Mainstream AAA+ RPG Discussion (IE: Everything else)
In 99% of the cases this would give exactly the same result as splitting the RPGs into "computer" and "console" :)
Well with "Classic", I was thinking you could call a vote and if the game in question gets enough votes to be considered "classic", it can be discussed in said forum. It's all very :obviously:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
- Classic cRPG Discussion (Old School, Indies, KickStarters and "RPGs considered Classics")
- Mainstream AAA+ RPG Discussion (IE: Everything else)
In 99% of the cases this would give exactly the same result as splitting the RPGs into "computer" and "console" :)
Well with "Classic", I was thinking you could call a vote and if the game in question gets enough votes to be considered "classic", it can be discussed in said forum. It's all very :obviously:

Well, obviously most of use would troll-vote just to generate more butthurt. But I think that's not optimal, the responsibility becomes too diffuse with a popular vote.

Instead, why not arbitrarily form a small group of CRPG experts, who would decide by a vote which would be open to them, but secret from the general public, save for the result of course. Then the members could publically accuse each other of treason and sabotage, but couldn't substantiate the accusation in any way. Also, rage and butthurt at stupid decisions could be focused on the group specifically, leading to more drama. Doesn't this seem like a superior mechanism?

EG

Nullified

Me, on page one said:

I don't mind there naturally being large general threads about games. My issue is when other long threads that stood on their own get merged into it.
Clearly your inspiration came from my inspiration. That'll be $5.

:oops:

Very well. You may take 5$ out of the 20$ I donated two years ago.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
Instead, why not arbitrarily form a small group of CRPG experts, who would decide by a vote which would be open to them, but secret from the general public, save for the result of course.

a fantastic idea. i am in favor of founding a committee that would discuss eligible members to reside on the board that would elect CRPG experts. Obviously, we would need several subcommittees discussing the scope of responsibilities of the members of the board and the to be elected experts. Of course we will have to rigorously define what games are to be discussed the to be elected expert and the board... you know what, why don't we form a committee and discuss that?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Instead, why not arbitrarily form a small group of CRPG experts, who would decide by a vote which would be open to them, but secret from the general public, save for the result of course.

a fantastic idea. i am in favor of founding a committee that would discuss eligible members to reside on the board that would elect CRPG experts. Obviously, we would need several subcommittees discussing the scope of responsibilities of the members of the board and the to be elected experts. Of course we will have to rigorously define what games are to be discussed the to be elected expert and the board... you know what, why don't we form a committee and discuss that?

This might be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
At our yearly Codex meetin'
DU gave us a greetin'
he said: "man, lets get down to brass tacks" (hear! hear!)
We have problems galore
we can't stand anymore
I am presenting you now with the facts: (alright)

Our pagehits are down
and the donations are low
the server creaks
and our CSS just won't run
every week we go under a thousand or so
and I just don't what's to be done.

Then said brother Lund
in impeccable tone
and a smirk just as big as it could be:

I knew all along it would happen like this
you all should've listened to me!
So with great understanding
of these problems demanding
and the Codex best interest in view
I move that we promptly establish a group
who could tell us just what we should do.

Let's form a committee
to study the problems
make a list of suggestions
and how we might solve them

With the good lord to guide us
and an expert or two
lets form a committee
that's what we should do

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't see why it has to be such a big deal. How about this:

PC-exclusive RPGs always go in Computer RPGs, unless they have heavy strategy/tactical elements (eg JA2) in which case they go in Strategy Gaming.

Multiplatform on day one RPGs always go in Console RPGs.

Games that were released on PC first and later on console are judged on an individual basis, based on distinguishing elements such as interface style.

EG

Nullified
It'd probably be easier just to break it down by generation, along with the current console section and assorted genres. Isn't it only the last decade that this has become confusing?

Anything that involves common agreement on the Codex, though? :lol:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Don't dare to vote for Vault Dweller, he has a game to finish FFS.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
As a self-proclaimed RPG expert, I suggest implementing the following criteria:

All RPGs, big and small, great and shitty, PC and console, go into the RPG Discussion forum where each member can decide which thread he wants to read. Games that are a mix, like JA2, can be discussed in both RPG and Strategy games forums. If RPG nuts want to talk about the RPG awesomeness of JA2, I see no reason to move it.

Mods should not waste their valuable time creating new paradigm shifts and mindshares by rearranging forums and threads according to the latest trends.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All RPGs, big and small, great and shitty, PC and console, go into the RPG Discussion forum where each member can decide which thread he wants to read.

Also each one should have ten threads. The bigger the forum is, the more we're having fun!

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
All RPGs, big and small, great and shitty, PC and console, go into the RPG Discussion forum where each member can decide which thread he wants to read.

Also each one should have ten threads. The bigger the forum is, the more we're having fun!

I think 8.5 threads is a much better number. It conforms to the average persons forum behavior much better than 10 threads per forum. We should see that we average 8 threads per forum and then move half the number of forums threads at random between the forums. this way we compromise with both sides of the discussion.

catfood

AGAIN
As a self-proclaimed RPG expert, I suggest implementing the following criteria:

All RPGs, big and small, great and shitty, PC and console, go into the RPG Discussion forum where each member can decide which thread he wants to read. Games that are a mix, like JA2, can be discussed in both RPG and Strategy games forums. If RPG nuts want to talk about the RPG awesomeness of JA2, I see no reason to move it.

Mods should not waste their valuable time creating new paradigm shifts and mindshares by rearranging forums and threads according to the latest trends.
Yeah, but the problem with this line of thought is the following:

Let's say that you are in a heated argument with someone on the forum here. You've been going at it for a while but you've reached a sort of stale mate. So how can you win the argument in that case? Simple. Forum statistics. Let's say that user A has 50% of his posts in the GLORIOUS OLD SCHOOL RPG MASTA RACE section, while only a having an insignificant 10% in the POPAMOLE PEASANT TRASH RPGS section. For user B the stats are the other way around. Now user A can come in with a shit eating grin on his face and say

AHAHAAHAHA USER B:
GLORIOUS OLD SCHOOL RPG MASTA RACE section 10%
POPAMOLE PEASANT TRASH RPGS section 50%

Thus securing the moral highground and winning the debate in one fell swoop. Add in a :smug: emoticon and you've got yourself a flawless victory.

Having just one single RPG section would prevent that tactic all together.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So you're saying that merging the forums would force people to come up with actual, reasonable arguments instead of linking to posting stats and spamming emoticons?

The horror.

Mantiis

Cipher
Zed pretty much defined when merging should occur on the first page. Fuck knows what the hell you people have been talking about the last 11 pages.

Those mega threads terrify me and I know nothing about eternity as a result (Icewind dale clone?).

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Zed pretty much defined when merging should occur on the first page. Fuck knows what the hell you people have been talking about the last 11 pages.

Those mega threads terrify me and I know nothing about eternity as a result (Icewind dale clone?).
Knowing that JE wants to abolish fun is not enough for you?

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Infinitron
Harbinger of Decline
patron4.gif

12987.jpg

campaign_projecteternity.png
campaign_wasteland2.png
campaign_deadstate.png
campaign_slushfund2012.png
campaign_tidesofnumenera.png
campaign_divinityos.png

Make it so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom