Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Years have passed and I STILL don't know what the fucking bird emoticon means

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Right. +M

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The true, hidden meaning:

:M
HARMONIC.

+M
CLEAN.

9kcahj.gif

ON DRUGS.

2hnltp5.gif

IN THE PSYCHIATRIC WARD, HAVING EATEN PARROT FLESH.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I always took it to mean nonchalance, especially when saying something out of the ordinary. Like "Just sniffed my coworkers chair :M" or "Morrowind is a good game :M".

Heh, I always thought it's an emote for "There, I said it :crossing one's arms:"

Like barging in a Fallout circlejerk thread and exclaiming: "Fuck ya'll faggots, Fallout is an overrated hipster shit. :M"

Although I'm not sure how I came to that conclusion because I sincerely don't think I've seen this wacko emote used in the same context twice. :D

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I always thought the bird meaning is similar to :deadhorse:.

But as it turns out no one really knows what it's supposed to stand for in the first place, and ppl use it as they see fit pretending to know the meaning to render themselves more :obviously:.

Monty

Arcane
I often thought Cassidy used it best. I've always interpreted it as a touch of irony or sarcasm, possibly trolling but more subtle than the troll icon.

So someone would be bitching about shit games and the response could be:

"And yet you played Fallout 3 at least 7 times :M

Of course it's all open to interpretation and meanings evolve, as with many Codexicons.

Hormalakh

Magister
par·rot
n.
1. Any of numerous tropical and semitropical birds of the order Psittaciformes, characterized by a short hooked bill, brightly colored plumage, and, in some species, the ability to mimic human speech or other sounds.
2. One who imitates the words or actions of another, especially without understanding them.

v.t.
3. to repeat without thought or understanding.

parrot-fashion (British & Australian)
if you learn something parrot-fashion, you are able to repeat the words, but you do not understand their meaning

see also parroting the line.

this thread is so meta, it's crazy. +M

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Maybe the whole thing would be a bit clearer if some still sane oldfag remembered who used the parrot first and why?

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Apparently many of you don't know about DAC. :M
Actually I think I saw it as an emote on another forum before ever seeing it used on DAC. :M

But this was many years ago and I can't remember what context it was used in or even which forum it was.

Hormalakh

Magister
those who know don't care to tell and those who tell don't really know :M

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
If you don't know what the fucking bird emoticon means, you clearly haven't lived.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
BTW like our beloved Editor-in-Chief of the prestigious magazine that shitty parrot has origins at SOMETHINGAWFUL.

Congrats fags!!!!

Machocruz

Arcane
I always perceived it as a either a smug way of indicating "It is what it is." "such is life," or "deal with it." or the smiley representation of that Willy Wonka meme.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom