Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Delterius

Arcane
So, I'm readying myself to playing Morrowind again. Trying to refresh my memory about the mechanics and such, ran into what must have been one of the most colossal fags in the world. Just look at this discussion from late 2012.

Anyway, I'm readying myself to play with an Altmer + Apprentice mage character. Overcoming the weaknesses shouldn't be difficult but could at least make for an interesting game.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You're frustrated that you didn't get more interesting loot behind the locks, that doesn't mean that NPCs shouldn't use whatever lock's avaiable to them for whatever item they want to conceal.

Exactly. What they want to conceal. Which means context. I mean, sure, not every weapon showcase should have an npc's dialogue associated to tell you how the guy smashed a giant's toe with it, but at least something.
My mistake, I hadn't read the 'display boxes' part. Yeah, it is kind of weird that you'd display a common dagger. But I think the issue there is that there are more display boxes than there should have been.

There's more weapon displays than toilets in skyrim. :lol:

DraQ

Arcane
I liked the part where the powergamer insisted that the OP wanted a melee machine because he included... blunt weapons as a minor skill.
Someone should have told him that you only have 9 magic skills in Morrowind (including not-so-mage-y unarmored*), but have to pick 10 skills for your class.

Instant
EMrknJP.gif

Actually, now that I think about it, unarmored and speechcraft should have their specializations swapped.

Delterius

Arcane
Well, I tend to pick things like Blunt Weapon merely because I don't want to grind at the beginning of the game and I don't want non-INT/WIL/LUK skills to influence level up - like Unarmored or Athletics might. I also don't use Illusion much at all until either INT or WIL are maxed.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's always good to include a couple skills you won't lose in major/minor IMO, so that you can quickly level up through training when desired.

DraQ

Arcane
>powergaming

>it's just the default mage class with Blunt in place of Short Blades and Luck in place of Willpower

oKW6b3.png
I don't see how Morrowind powergaming involves the concept of class:

1. Make any character with alchemy as major.
2. Use alchemy exploit to exponentially fortify all your stats other than strength and speed to about as high as the engine can handle without buckling for longer than you'll live IRL.
3. Use the same method to obtain insane levitation, feather, HP/Magicka/Fatigue regen and resistances/absorbtion/reflection/shield, as well as fortified HP buffer (it *will* kill you when it wears off long after you die of old age IRL) if you still need it (but why would you with reflect/absorb everything forever, any piece of armour plus >9000 shield and enough agility to make Gaenor behead himself while trying to hit you?).
4. You will have made immense amount of money in the process as side effect of selling exponentially more expensive potions to afford restocking ingredients to fuel your ascension to singularity so travel around buying and making spells (or just get a bound weapon spell).
5. You're now physical god, enjoy your godhood (because surely as fuck you won't be able to enjoy the game).

Anything involving actual character building and development is just waste of time if you're still going to break the living fuck out of game and every loophole in it for the sole purpose of becoming powerful around level 70.

Of course console commands are even faster.

I see that method more as exploit-abuse than powergaming. I just find it funny the guy made a thread asking for suggestions on a build for his super-powered wizard and it turns out to be the regular mage build with a few adjustments.

(I never understood why mages in morrowind use "ninja" weapons like tanto and shortsword instead of blunt "utility" weapons like the staff and mallet anyway)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There are different levels of "powergaming." I'm not one to exploit until I ruin the game, and I even put limits on myself like not touching the dark brotherhood armor and not using the super merchants. However when creating a class I can certainly keep in mind that I want some low level skills to level with training for level-ups. I don't think that's exploitative. Since everything can be leveled with training anyway all it's really doing in effect is saving me money, money which is only relevant because I ignore Creeper in the first place.

Cadmus

Arcane
Hii Hii I remember role playing as a wiedzmin with katana before there was a proper witcher game:) hiii hiii

DraQ

Arcane
The thing with Morrowind is that pretty much every build optimization accounting for leveling system relies on loopholes, imbalance, and makes you spend your time gaming the system instead of playing the game.

When I make a character, I simply think about skillset I will use, and abilities (racials, signs) that would be necessary for my playstyle or make for otherwise interesting experience.
I don't bomb shit while levitating, I don't grind, I don't exploit alchemy or economy, I don't make beelines for most powerful loot, I don't religiously pump endurance just because it's the only attribute that yields use it or lose it bonuses, I don't waste my time on planning multipliers and I only train on need to know basis, in short bursts.

I generally treat my build as something that cares about itself after initial chargen.

Hii Hii I remember role playing as a wiedzmin with katana before there was a proper witcher game:) hiii hiii
:nocountryforshitposters:

granit

Scholar
Morrowind's excellent world and lore are what makes its abundance of simple quests and factions work. Somewhere Todd Howard is pointing out that while there are less quests and factions in Oblivion and Skyrim each one has more to it. However what he doesn't understand is that Morrowind made walking to a town to talk to someone and walking back fun via a great world and great lore that you want to immerse yourself in.

First, most people aren't interested in Lore, so you don't want to pay good writers to contribute to something virtually no-one cares about. Second, you don't want to have lore involved in the quests if most people aren't interested in it. Todd did the right thing there sales wise.
What, are you arguing sales figures is more important than quality of work? What is the reason for this?

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Powergaming in Morrowind is like an able-bodied adult participating in a sporting event for retarded children and competing seriously. It's not a very difficult game, and nobody is impressed.

DraQ

Arcane
Powergaming? I call it weakgaming. And it's for turbonerds.
Powergaming is good if it's in itself challenging and if game is built so that you need all the advantage you can get (Mathematically speaking: learning curve is described by a function that assumes the value of "rape" over its entire domain).
Other than that it's a feel good activity for those who lack *any* kind of skills or abilities and desperately need something even lower than them in the pecking order.
Powergaming in Morrowind is like an able-bodied adult participating in a sporting event for retarded children and competing seriously. It's not a very difficult game, and nobody is impressed.
Precisely.
It only makes you look like a massive douche.

Stokowski

Arcane
I dunno. That kind of sounds like fun.

Sorry. Clearly I missed a few days at the Codex Madrasa.

Delterius

Arcane
Hello everyone.

Today, when I woke up, I had a dream. A dream of finally elevating Morrowind into the artistic brilliance that it could have been. To bring the Elder Scrolls to the hall of fame of grand epochal works which shall define our Civilization for all eternity.

I present to you, my newest modding project.

f9pw2lE.jpg

bloodlover

Arcane
The thing with Morrowind is that pretty much every build optimization accounting for leveling system relies on loopholes, imbalance, and makes you spend your time gaming the system instead of playing the game.

When I make a character, I simply think about skillset I will use, and abilities (racials, signs) that would be necessary for my playstyle or make for otherwise interesting experience.
I don't bomb shit while levitating, I don't grind, I don't exploit alchemy or economy, I don't make beelines for most powerful loot, I don't religiously pump endurance just because it's the only attribute that yields use it or lose it bonuses, I don't waste my time on planning multipliers and I only train on need to know basis, in short bursts.

I generally treat my build as something that cares about itself after initial chargen.

You can install mods and not do this. I agree on this one and this is where Skyrim improved things.

You can probably do what you mentioned in Morrowind but I don't know how effective it would be. I remember a poor thief that I made once and had a very shitty HP by the time I reached level 15 or so without maxing endurance.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
How will you afford the drug abuse required throughout the project to do Kirkbride justice?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom