Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Other than that it's a feel good activity for those who lack *any* kind of skills or abilities and desperately need something even lower than them in the pecking order.

Sounds like I should power game ever more than I do!

Powergaming in Morrowind is like an able-bodied adult participating in a sporting event for retarded children and competing seriously. It's not a very difficult game, and nobody is impressed.

But then I get to push the kids over and act like an asshole. How isn't that fun?

/sarcasm

In all seriousness why shouldn't I try and gain any advantage I can in a video game as long as it doesn't ruin my enjoyment?

Nothing wrong with it, it's just weird that you would choose a game where it's both easy and unnecessary to do so. When I think of "powergaming", I think of mastering a challenging game until you can break it over your knee like a twig, not a sandbox where even the larpiest character can succeed.

Delterius

Arcane
I don't know, I did the potion loop once just to see if it were true. And it was really fun for 10 min. or so.

Even pokémon has better balancing than this.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Anyone can do whatever they want. That's the whole point of single-player gaming. I used to cheat all the time or play every single game on "very easy" difficulty level and just enjoyed winning and progressing the story. Even now, I still just stick to whatever the "balanced" level is. I just personally think it's more fun in Morrowind to progress naturally, since the game is not very hard except for the occasional Gedna Relvel, Gaenor, etc.

Lemming42

Arcane
Speaking of Morrowind's difficulty, did anyone else find the werewolf maze at the end of Bloodmoon hard as shit? In my last playthrough I almost resorted to godmode to get through. It was weird because my character was completely competent otherwise (even against Tribunal's bullshit goblins) and I don't remember it ever being that hard.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Speaking of Morrowind's difficulty, did anyone else find the werewolf maze at the end of Bloodmoon hard as shit? In my last playthrough I almost resorted to godmode to get through. It was weird because my character was completely competent otherwise (even against Tribunal's bullshit goblins) and I don't remember it ever being that hard.

In my experience:

>Loot werewolf ring off Tharsten Heart-Fang

>Become werewolf

>EZ Mode for the rest of the maze

DraQ

Arcane
I honestly don't remember, it's been ages since last time I completed Bloodmoon.
I have an idea for a spell that should neutralize the entire maze (if it can cover it) in a single casting.
Will have to test it on my next playthrough.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Just played it as a werewolf yesterday, and it's hard if you try to fight everyone. Running past the wolves is piss-easy, though, and there's no real reason not to do that.

I think it was pretty hard on my earlier playthrough but still quite manageable.

I have an idea for a spell that should neutralize the entire maze (if it can cover it) in a single casting.

:lol:

dis game

--

edit:
Sometimes I find a blog and start reading it, then I remember why I don't read blogs.

http://fansonfire.blogspot.com.br/2014/01/morndas-13th-day-of-morning-star-3e.html

THE ELDER SCROLLS III: MORROWIND OMG TEH BEST EVER MAED

Yeah, that's the internet equivalent to describing this slow, unforgiving and absolutely boring game. It's on everybody's top games lists for some divine reason. I've had this game more than Oblivion, and have tried on multiple occasions to get into it and see where the shit ends and the game starts working in all the right ways, BUT IT NEVER HAPPENED.

Why? Because this game shows no mercy or lends a helping hand EVER. You create your character, and you're thrown into the game world with a vague objective. That's it. You're on your own after that. Okay, so you're thinking, well surely you can ask NPCs for help, at least some directions right? Sure, if you enjoy reading a wall of text after choosing over EIGHT things to ask.

For example, the first person I see I talk to him. He introduces who he is, and the game shows me some topics to click on that I can ask him. Every time you click one, you get a paragraph or longer of text which more than likely will add more things to ask. I just want to know where the silt strider is, which is the equivalent of a bus in Morrowind. He tells me it's in a certain direction in the town I'm in. Asking about which town I'm in presents me with yet more topics. This is the first guy I've talked to and its starting to be fifteen minutes into gameplay.

Also, I got 80 gold to help me do the first quest, which involves delivering a package. The first thing I figure I have to do is get a weapon. So I ask the fucking guy where the shops are, and which ones are which. I find the shop, deal with the clunky and ugly interface which takes me five minutes to buy a fucking dagger, and finally I figure out where this silt strider is. But guess what? Remember that 80 gold I got earlier? It's not for weapons or armor. It's the fee for the silt strider to take me to my first objective.

Okay, so now that I can't use that method to go to my objective, I have to walk. Walking in Morrowind is the equivalent of crawling in real life. Yeah, it's that fucking slow. So off I go using the map to find Balmora, the city where my objective is. Along the way I encounter a flying monster. I pull my dagger out and start clicking away to slash at it, but nothing. Absolutely nothing. This is where the end of the line drew for me. There's a fucking random number generator happening behind the scenes every time you attack. The game does not make this appear to be so. You look to be slashing the monster, I mean how could you NOT when he's in your FUCKING FACE, but you aren't hitting it because your stats aren't high enough in the right places.After clicking endlessly, I realize this thing has drained almost all of my health, so I start running from it but it's no use. This thing is just on my ass the whole time, and kills me before I can get ten feet away.

ABSOLUTELY FRUSTRATING.

Fuck that. I'm hoping that when I get to Balmora and deliver this package, maybe things will pick up. I start all over again, this time taking the silt strider. I arrive in the small town, separated by a river. After searching around for the guy I need to deliver this thing to and finally finding him, he gives me massive amounts of text and another objective more vague than the last. I honestly have no idea what to do. So I try joining one of the guilds. The Molag Tong guild seems cool, a bunch of assassins and what not, so I go there. Turns out the guy that takes new members in isn't even in this town, so there goes that idea. I can't go to Vivec where he's at to talk to him because I have no gold to use the silt strider, and I have no weapon to defend myself with if I walk. Fuck the weapon, I don't have the fucking stats to battle a damn worm!!!

Quit. Done. This game is too unforgiving in the beginning. Yet, it remains a favorite among fans. For what fucking reason? Is that kind of complexity a niche market for some gamers? I don't understand how anyone got past the beginning of this game without being bored to tears or being so fucking frustrated. I cannot understand why Bethesda thought the combat was acceptable enough. Even when you do hit something, you don't get the feeling you did, or that it took skill to do it. In Oblivion, I have to dodge attacks and make sure my sword hits. That is non-existent in this game. The number gods decide if you can hit something. Agility isn't high enough? Oh well, guess you're only going to hit that bat every 100 clicks and do FOUR points of damage.

Yet this is where Morrowind fans will bash Oblivion, stating it had the same system, you just didn't do a lot of damage when you start. Yeah, that's true, but at least I'm doing SOME kind of damage, and it FEELS like I'm hitting something. UGHHHHHHHH. This game just pisses me off to no end, in every single category. The music and story are pretty cool from what I've heard and read of it. It's just sad to say that I've played this game so many times and never got farther than that. It's too fucking hard and too boring for me.

Which leads me to another surprise in this post.

THE ELDER SCROLLS II: DAGGERFALL

[...]

eQMWmG.jpg

Last edited:

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I recently finished Bloodmoon, and I think I just went through that maze with Chameleon. Fuck it. One of the few parts of the game that are actually hard. On the upside, after that, fighting Hircine's aspect is easy as can be. Karstaag before him did not upset my breakfast either.

Xbalanque

Educated

dis game

--

edit:
Sometimes I find a blog and start reading it, then I remember why I don't read blogs.

http://fansonfire.blogspot.com.br/2014/01/morndas-13th-day-of-morning-star-3e.html

THE ELDER SCROLLS III: MORROWIND OMG TEH BEST EVER MAED

Yeah, that's the internet equivalent to describing this slow, unforgiving and absolutely boring game. It's on everybody's top games lists for some divine reason. I've had this game more than Oblivion, and have tried on multiple occasions to get into it and see where the shit ends and the game starts working in all the right ways, BUT IT NEVER HAPPENED.

Why? Because this game shows no mercy or lends a helping hand EVER. You create your character, and you're thrown into the game world with a vague objective. That's it. You're on your own after that. Okay, so you're thinking, well surely you can ask NPCs for help, at least some directions right? Sure, if you enjoy reading a wall of text after choosing over EIGHT things to ask.

For example, the first person I see I talk to him. He introduces who he is, and the game shows me some topics to click on that I can ask him. Every time you click one, you get a paragraph or longer of text which more than likely will add more things to ask. I just want to know where the silt strider is, which is the equivalent of a bus in Morrowind. He tells me it's in a certain direction in the town I'm in. Asking about which town I'm in presents me with yet more topics. This is the first guy I've talked to and its starting to be fifteen minutes into gameplay.

Also, I got 80 gold to help me do the first quest, which involves delivering a package. The first thing I figure I have to do is get a weapon. So I ask the fucking guy where the shops are, and which ones are which. I find the shop, deal with the clunky and ugly interface which takes me five minutes to buy a fucking dagger, and finally I figure out where this silt strider is. But guess what? Remember that 80 gold I got earlier? It's not for weapons or armor. It's the fee for the silt strider to take me to my first objective.

Okay, so now that I can't use that method to go to my objective, I have to walk. Walking in Morrowind is the equivalent of crawling in real life. Yeah, it's that fucking slow. So off I go using the map to find Balmora, the city where my objective is. Along the way I encounter a flying monster. I pull my dagger out and start clicking away to slash at it, but nothing. Absolutely nothing. This is where the end of the line drew for me. There's a fucking random number generator happening behind the scenes every time you attack. The game does not make this appear to be so. You look to be slashing the monster, I mean how could you NOT when he's in your FUCKING FACE, but you aren't hitting it because your stats aren't high enough in the right places.After clicking endlessly, I realize this thing has drained almost all of my health, so I start running from it but it's no use. This thing is just on my ass the whole time, and kills me before I can get ten feet away.
ABSOLUTELY FRUSTRATING.

Fuck that. I'm hoping that when I get to Balmora and deliver this package, maybe things will pick up. I start all over again, this time taking the silt strider. I arrive in the small town, separated by a river. After searching around for the guy I need to deliver this thing to and finally finding him, he gives me massive amounts of text and another objective more vague than the last. I honestly have no idea what to do. So I try joining one of the guilds. The Molag Tong guild seems cool, a bunch of assassins and what not, so I go there. Turns out the guy that takes new members in isn't even in this town, so there goes that idea. I can't go to Vivec where he's at to talk to him because I have no gold to use the silt strider, and I have no weapon to defend myself with if I walk. Fuck the weapon, I don't have the fucking stats to battle a damn worm!!!

Quit. Done. This game is too unforgiving in the beginning. Yet, it remains a favorite among fans. For what fucking reason? Is that kind of complexity a niche market for some gamers? I don't understand how anyone got past the beginning of this game without being bored to tears or being so fucking frustrated. I cannot understand why Bethesda thought the combat was acceptable enough. Even when you do hit something, you don't get the feeling you did, or that it took skill to do it. In Oblivion, I have to dodge attacks and make sure my sword hits. That is non-existent in this game. The number gods decide if you can hit something. Agility isn't high enough? Oh well, guess you're only going to hit that bat every 100 clicks and do FOUR points of damage.

Yet this is where Morrowind fans will bash Oblivion, stating it had the same system, you just didn't do a lot of damage when you start. Yeah, that's true, but at least I'm doing SOME kind of damage, and it FEELS like I'm hitting something. UGHHHHHHHH. This game just pisses me off to no end, in every single category. The music and story are pretty cool from what I've heard and read of it. It's just sad to say that I've played this game so many times and never got farther than that. It's too fucking hard and too boring for me.

Which leads me to another surprise in this post.

THE ELDER SCROLLS II: DAGGERFALL

[...]

Despite this being utter bullshit, it is utter bullshit. Silt striders never cost 80 gold and I don't remember encountering any Cliff Racer's on the way to Balmora at least on low levels.

Turjan

Arcane
I remember a colleague of mine who told me he gave up on Morrowind because one of the monsters always killed him with a few spells. I asked him to describe it and found out it was a netch... Yeah.

DragoFireheart

The werewolf maze was indeed hard. They can easily one-two shot you when you max out the difficult slider.

Despite this being utter bullshit, it is utter bullshit. Silt striders never cost 80 gold and I don't remember encountering any Cliff Racer's on the way to Balmora at least on low levels.

It's not the exact amount, but he spent almost all of the money on equipment so he couldn't afford the strider fee. If only you could steal stuff or do quests for the local NPCs...

As for the cliff racers, it's relatively easy to go off-track on the way to Balmora and get a bit too close to the Ashlands, where you'll meet at least a couple.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
People who can't play video games make me angry.

I have more sympathy for an illiterate goon living in an Alabama trailer park than I do for a person who can't figure out a fucking video game.

DraQ

Arcane

dis game

--

edit:

eQMWmG.jpg
Truly a gigantic Fargoth.
It can't be coincidence he likes Alpha Protolol

http://fansonfire.blogspot.com.br/2012/03/alpha-protocol-review.html

Then again

So yeah, it's safe to say that I like Daggerfall more than Morrowind. I shouldn't, because it has a lot of the same annoying features, but it doesn't make me feel helpless, and that's what matters. Who wants to feel helpless in a video game? It's okay to feel that way for a little bit, but giving up because it doesn't feel like it's going to end? That's just bullshit. Daggerfall just seems to use its features much better than Morrowind. The only problem I really have is that the graphics can be borderline ugly. Scrolling through my inventory and seeing shapes instead of actual things is annoying. Thankfully, there's an Info button that tells you what it is. Indeed, that thing that looks like two potatoes is actually leather greaves. Good to know.

Doing quests is the same as Morrowind unfortunately. Someone will tell you to bring this gem to so and so, and you have no idea who that person is or if he's even in the same fucking town. Mind you this game has over 700,000 NPCs wandering around. Yes, 7-FUCKING-THOUSAND NPCS. But that's alright. You can venture out and do so many other things that it doesn't even matter. No matter what, you feel like you have control over something in this game, where as Morrowind will leave you fucked unless you know what you're doing.

Maybe someone will prove me wrong. Someone will show me how to play Morrowind someday. Maybe I should just follow a guide, but apparently part of the magic of that game is not having any help. True, Daggerfall is the same way, but at least I can do other shit while I figure it out. I'm afraid to leave town in Morrowind. Maybe I need some mods or something. Who knows.

Anyway, I wanted to rant about this series because I have been sinking hours upon hours into Oblivion and Daggerfall, and I've realized that these games are pretty great after all. One day maybe I will feel the same way about Morrowind, but I'm not holding my breath. I want to like it, but it forces me not to. Oh well.
JWIXYCN.gif
Morrowind confirmed :incline: over Daggerfall, at last.
:martini:

DragoFireheart

Other than the lame combat and shit graphics Morrowind is a great game. Daggerfall is a shitty Rogue-clone.

DragoFireheart

Nothing wrong with Daggerfall, although Morrowind is better in most ways.

Maybe it's because I just don't like Rogue-likes. Give me hand-crafted, hand-place things all day any day over RNG dungeons.

DragoFireheart

The nice thing about this blog is I can safely disregard any of his opinions once he said:

Anyway, I wanted to rant about this series because I have been sinking hours upon hours into Oblivion and Daggerfall, and I've realized that these games are pretty great after all.

Confirmed moron.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom