Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I don't need glasses, I can see just fine. I'm just complaining about having to use the slider all the time in the inventory, which wouldn't happen if I enlarged the inventory to full screen but then that would make accessing the other overlays a pain.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm not kidding when I say that Morrowind got me through two wartime deployments on a US Navy ship. I would have lost my mind if it weren't for that game. And BGII. And FO1+2.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Seriously why the fuck in the inventory is right click simply not "use item". Use potion. Eat ingredient. Equip weapon. Would save some hassle. Can still have the dragging as an alternate method.
Sigh.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Boots of blinding speed :roll: Just killed the game for me. So overpowered, I think I'll throw them in a lava pit or the ocean. This game is such a grind though, not sure if I can be bothered with it any more. Best leave it as good memories from many years ago.

The boots are an excellent asset for people who don't want to explore in this game with a focus on exploration.

The secret is to ignore the people telling you not to put Athletics as a major skill because "it's not optimal". Boost that shit so you can move at a tolerable pace and you won't even need the boots.

(plus it spares you the humiliation of having to pay a NPC to teach you how to walk more efficiently)

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
It's still the best TES despite all the bullshit. Shame about the steeply declining successors, the series could really have evolved into something truly special.

zwanzig_zwoelf

It's still the best TES despite all the bullshit. Shame about the steeply declining successors, the series could really have evolved into something truly special.
No, Daggerfall is the best TES game.
Morrowind was nothing but a decline messenger.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
@CK: I was using the adventurers mod which increases base movement speed to a tolerable base value, and it also increases NPC movement speed for balance.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted

I haven't played it but I refuse to. Fuck procedurally generated level design. Game worlds should be hand crafted, I accept no less.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The secret is to ignore the people telling you not to put Athletics as a major skill because "it's not optimal". Boost that shit so you can move at a tolerable pace and you won't even need the boots.
Sounds like a horrible idea... Why not just pick Steed sign and wear light armor if you gotta go fast

Gozma

Arcane
Make an item that's + a bunch of jump and a point of feather fall, the ultimate in Morrowind traversal. And jumping instantly breaks the AI in Morrowind so you wouldn't jump in a combat you weren't giving Morrowind every chance not to be a piece of shit in anyway

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Point is: TES series has one of the worst character progression models ever.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Point is: TES series has one of the worst character progression models ever.

Ehhhhhh . . . . .

I liked Morrowind's leveling scheme. I liked that it was confusing for idiots. I also liked the simulationist aspects of it, since it combined leveling up with actually rewarding you for skills that you use. I've always liked RPGs that incorporate usage into their leveling skills, because it forces you to specialize.

Anyway, Morrowind is one of those games that, if you were to break it into pieces and examine all of them separately, would look and play fucking horrible. But if you slap it all together it somehow just works. What you really can't beat is the non-traditional lore, which includes giant mushrooms and crabs, and caves that can be named Assurnabitashpi or Milk and they both still work as pretty cool names.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I like the paying-for-training method of advancement, which is how I see Morrowind since you can earn money a lot faster than you earn skill points by usage, in my experience. Honestly paying masters to train you is probably the most realistic leveling process in RPGs.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
I think the Quest for Glory series has the best advancement scheme. Everything increases by repetition, and sometimes you can pay people to "train" you which basically just gives you a huge bump in that skill. Perfect.

That reminds me, I have to write my review of QFG2. I am way late on that.

DraQ

Arcane
Oblivion definitely had better distant lands if you removed all fog. Morrowind looked better with some fog.
Standing on top of the Imperial Tower (I think it was called) in the Imperial City the distant lands in Oblivion looked realistic, while in Morrowind it looked fake, at least with the old version of MGE I tried.
First thing first, Morrowind was designed around limited sight range.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out it will look off if you tweak the engine to let you see forever.

Second, Oblivion doesn't look realistic because:
1. It's immediately apparent how fucking small it is, instantly wrecking the immersion.
2. Speedtrees look shit from above.

The more I played Morrowind the more the staticness of the world bothered me, so despite the blandness, gernericness, dumbing down, excessive voice acting of generally much lower quality, and level scaling, I couldn't bring myself to hate Oblivion.
:hmmm:
Go home octavius, you're drunk.

The third thing Oblivion did better was to prevent much of the abuse of alchemy and potions. You could only have three potions in effect at any given time. So potent potions with short duration were valuable.
Yeah, except magicka/health/stamina restoring potions were instantaneous, so even derpy arbitrary potion limit didn't curb their abuse even though it was supposedly what it was meant to do.

The fourth and last thing I can think of that Oblivion did better than MW was to provide a more steady challenge, at least when using OOO and/or FCOM (I never played vanilla).
:hmmm:
Why do I even bother?

Well, I remember that in my numerous Morrowind playthroughs I seemed to have a problem to 1-shot cliff racers under any circumstances..even with the Tribunal's fiery sword they'd always take at least 2 hits but maybe that was because I wasn't gonna fucking walk everywhere on lvl 50 just to preserve the stupid stamina...

Well, if you couldn't figure out how to enchant yourself a CE stamina restoring belt or some other piece of clothing by level 50, then it's not stamina that's stupid.
:troll:

What do you people do to fix alchemy in this game?
Install a mod that zeroes custom potion value (I think it was Hotfusion's economy adjuster).

IIRC BTB includes some stuff similar to what I've proposed, but it also introduces massive derp to the entire game, alchemy included (nomming on gems/raw glass is good for you in BTB).

A mod upping weights of potions and ingredients would also be worthwhile if such exists.

Am I the only one who thinks the interface absolutely sucks?
Yes.
If only it wasn't a grid inventory. Fucking nightmare if you are an alchemist.
It's alphabetic, if you don't churn out and carry tens of custom potions you should be fine.

I'd prefer like most RPGs for it to have one large UI overlay with tabs [inventory, stats, magic, map etc]. Much more fluid that way I find.
Resize all windows to full screen (or as close to that as they allow), deactivate all but the one you currently need by clicking on HUD icons.
You now have tabs.

The boots are an excellent asset for people who don't want to explore in this game with a focus on exploration.

(plus it spares you the humiliation of having to pay a NPC to teach you how to walk more efficiently)

Also for people too dimwitted to enchant their own amulet of Daedalian Flight (can also be a spell but casting delay may get you killed).
Daggerfall OTOH is mostly just an empty sandbox, though.
Most potential of the entire series, but the least portion of it actually realized.
A for ambition, but E for execution.

The best TES possible would probably be some merge of MW and DF.

DraQ

Arcane
Yeah but that is exactly what you do when you have alchemy.
Technically, what you should do if you have alchemy and portable alchemical apparatus is carrying ingredients and producing all but a small bunch of general purpose emergency potions on demand, instead of lugging a wagon of bottles everywhere you go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom