Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
kPOzOuM.jpg

1nytBHV.jpg

Even the BSB monsters could've been p. cool.

Aenra

When i first played UU, everything changed. I could never, and it turns out it really was 'never', go back to isometric. At least not with the same approach as before. It became secondary, for many reasons. Would still give them a whirl, but .. something was lost. Forever :)
And then i got this one .. blew UUs out of the water. What it lacked (which some of you preach all day long) it more than made up in the false impression of freedom and ethical ambiguity it gave me. More than made up.

While i was no longer "young" or "new" in the genre (read: expectations and judgement), while it was so bug-ridden it made the simplest of things a goddam chore.. it was fucking amazing.
First game (that i recall) where i really, trully, actually and fully RPed. Fuck the books, fuck other people's rules i am meant to think by for every damn second of my gaming time and STILL pretend i RP (lol), fuck the detachment and multi-tasking (which is akin to a second detachment isn't it? "Organising"), fuck slow-mo. This was it for me.

Very first experience, literally less than a hour in i guess? after i had run it for the first time:
I was simply goofing around walking like an idiot, came across a farm complex, went in, saw n'wahs but no one attacked me, saw slaves only i did not yet know this game featured slavery, saw a central hub and walked in. The n'wah of n'wahs residing inside deemed it fit to kill me and so he did. For no apparent reason! How most appalling! I got pissed off (maturity uber alles ja?), decided he had to die in a special manner. So i trained magic even though it was not my original intent, went to great lengths so as to become able to create the spell i had in my head, ended up finding out it had vampires(!) by becoming one, stuck to my goal, went crazy happy when it turned out the game allowed me to make it happen. Eventuallyeturned to that same hub, found that same n'wah and got my revenge. Spell i cast had a huge paralysis time and the slowest (one poison/second i think?) dot tick possible. I cast it on him and walked out, did not even wait to see him fall down. Was bliss just knowing he'd fucking take forever to die. A pathetic, true, but ultimately satisfying a-la Holywood snippet of time where i played pretense and flirted with arrogance in an oh so relishing a manner.
Many, many similar examples i could give. Mods added, cannot think there's any other game out there i have spent even half the time i did on Morrow.

I wish i could tell you something similar to the above happened while i was playing any of the games the majority here defines as the pinnacle of this genre. The Role Playing genre mind you. I also wish that all these years later, i could have found another one to offer me as much. Still on hold :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DraQ

Arcane
kPOzOuM.jpg

1nytBHV.jpg

Even the BSB monsters could've been p. cool.
Actually you can still pick up that kwama warrior = forager + worker by having a close look at them in MW, even though they are never shown doing the merge in game.
No screaming eggs, though and yeah, it would have made more sense for foragers to spit than to try and fellate you to death.

Thal

Augur
Let Obsidian make a Morrowind sequel. New Vivec.

I have been dreaming about this game for a while. Morrowind had it's problems, namely the utter lack of difficulty. However as a setting it's simply put Awesome. It's like you're pressing the A button all the time, even when just walking. And there are so many things you could do with a Vvardenfell fubared by the ministry and the red mountain.

What Bethesda haven't really realized since Morrowind that a round island dominated by an inpenetrable center is a much better open world setting than open landmasses of Skyrim and, especially, Oblivion are. The world feels larger because, for all intents are purposes, it is. In Oblivion you could run from one corner of the map to the other with no trouble whatsoever in matter of minutes. In Morrowind it never was that easy. For starters you didn't even know whether there were roads or not to the place you wanted to go. Or if the mountains would just block your way. The maze-like structure of of the map made sure that it was possible to get lost, even if you sort of knew the place. It's a long way from Seyda Neen to Kogoruhn. However, the mountain ranges create a lot of self contained "bubbles", which means that when you are exploring a particular region it's hard to wander off, unless you want to. Skyrim's holds were and improvement over Oblivion's regions but can't hold cake to Morrowinds design. The possible explanations for this degeneration that I can think of are 1) they replaced their team with interns between games 2) Morrowind was drunk luck.

Now, Morrowind 2 might even have significant advantages over the original. The island was pretty much destroyed be the eruption, which might for example leave the entire Northern and Northeastern part of the island inhospitable, uncharted and changed. Starting from Seyda Need again you would have some familiarity that would quickly disappear was you went further north. The Reason for being there? Recolonization, Glass and Ebony. It could be a real frontier experience, Civilation creeping back in and reclaming the island. And the Northeast, that couldn't be easily reached by any conventional means? Who knows. Maybe the plot would lead to a discovery at the very end that Akaviri are using it as a staging area for a future invasion to Tamriel mainland. Or maybe the Telvanni are back and doing some bizarre stuff. There are many possibilites, you could do anything with the that place.

One of the great things about Morrowind was that it really felt 3D in the same sense as Descent games did. Levels were vertical as well as horizontal. Being finally able to breathe in water or levitate opened a new world for the player as well as giving him a sense of newfound power and achievement that no Skyrim perk ever could. Morrowind made me rethink what Magic in CRPGs could and should be. The utility spells were best. How Bethesda could ditch this system and return back to the mundane is baffling beyond belief. Now, Ministry of Truth presumably left a big ass crater to where Vivec once stood. Guess what would be there now? An entire fucking ruined underwater city for you to explore, with air pockets, lava formations and shit. Fuck, there could be a goddamn dreugh kingdom for all we know. It actually makes me rage a bit that I can never play this game.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Heh, turns out Morroblivion is completed.

http://tesrenewal.com/morroblivion-faq

Current Status (version 0.64)

• Morrowind: 100% of the main Morrowind game has been completed, and is fairly well debugged (details here). There is very little that gets in the way of a complete Morrowind experience.
  • Tribunal: Main quest is 99% complete (with the exception of some creature models) and playable. Sidequests are 100% complete.
  • Bloodmoon: All quests are complete, including main questline, East Empire Company questline and various sidequests.

DraQ

Arcane

• Morrowind: 100% of the main Morrowind game has been completed, and is fairly well debugged (details here). There is very little that gets in the way of a complete Morrowind experience.
  • Tribunal: Main quest is 99% complete (with the exception of some creature models) and playable. Sidequests are 100% complete.
  • Bloodmoon: All quests are complete, including main questline, East Empire Company questline and various sidequests.
Who cares?

Seriosly, why would you play MW in OB when you can play MW in MW?
So you could have potarto faces, walkthrough pop-ups and non-searchable journal?

from the site:

• Please respect Bethesda's legal concerns and do not post or discuss Morroblivion on the Bethesda official forums, TES Nexus, Planet Elder Scrolls, other similar sites, social networking sites etc.

i smell possible shenanigans may be afoot

:troll:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
- Open ancient tomb dating back to First Era

- Find skill book written somewhere in late Third Era

- :prosper:

inter_beth_team3.jpg

bloodlover

Arcane
MGE is the only graphical improvement this game needs.

Can't wait to get Morrowind with Skyrim graphics in 10 years...

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
P. cool update by MK

Excerpt from a TESV: Skyrim design document, with slight changes for wording. Art by Adam Adamowicz.

The gods are cyclical, just like the world is. There are the Dead Gods, who fought and died to bring about the new cycle; the Hearth Gods, who watch over the present cycle; the Testing Gods, who threaten the Hearth and thus are watched; and the Twilight Gods, who usher in the next cycle. The end of a cycle is said to be preceded by the Dragonborn God, a god that did not exist in the previous cycle but whose presence means that the current one is almost over.

The Dead Gods

Dead Gods don’t need temples. They have the biggest one of all, Svongarde. Nord heroes and clever men visit the Underworld all the time. They bear a symbol to show that they have, which garners much respect.

tumblr_inline_nuc287ixqK1rbvhsq_400.jpg

The Fox - Shor

tumblr_inline_nuc28isimP1rbvhsq_400.jpg

The Bear - Tsun

The Hearth Gods

The Hearth Gods have temples appropriate to their nature: Kyne’s are built on peaks, Mara’s are the halls of important Witches, Dibella’s are the halls of important Wives– the temples aren’t like those of the Imperials; as Hearth Gods, they are always homes to someone, and the highest-ranking female of that home is their de facto high priestess.

tumblr_inline_nuc293kqds1rbvhsq_400.jpg

The Hawk, Kyne

tumblr_inline_nuc29a1TeA1rbvhsq_400.jpg

The Wolf, Mara

tumblr_inline_nuc29lgwqA1rbvhsq_400.jpg

The Moth, Dibella

The Testing Gods

The Testing Gods don’t really have temples – they are propitiated at battlegrounds or other sites where they caused some notable trouble. Nords understand that the Daedric Temples are something else entirely and think them as much of a waste of time as the formalized religion of the Nine Divines of Cyrodiil.

tumblr_inline_nuc2a0f5jN1rbvhsq_400.jpg

The Snake, Orkey

The Woodland Man, Herma Mora

The Twilight Gods

The Twilight Gods need no temples– when they show up, there won’t be any reason to build them, much less use them – another waste of time. That said, Nords do venerate them, as they always venerate the cycles of things, and especially the Last War where they will show their final, best worth.

tumblr_inline_nuc2atkVlZ1rbvhsq_400.jpg

The Dragon, Alduin

Alduin is venerated on the winter solstice by ceremonies at ancient Dragon Cult temples, where offerings are made to keep him asleep for one more year. Alduin is also the source of many common superstitious practices before any event of significance.

The Dragonborn God, Talos

Talos’ totem is the newest, but is everywhere – he is the Dragonborn Conquering Son, the first new god of this cycle, whose power is consequently unknown, so the Nords bless nearly everything with his totem, since he might very well be the god of it now, too. Yes, as first of the Twilight Gods, this practice might seem contradictory, but that’s only because, of all the gods, he will be the one that survives in whole into the next cycle.

Nord view of Imperial Religion

The Eight Divines are viewed by the Nords as a “Southern” import. They retain some of the taint of the Alessian Order, and are basically viewed as a religion for foreigners. Their gods are fine for them, but Nords need Nord gods.

Some of the gods are the same (or similar) – significantly these are the three female gods, which are far more important to the Nords than they are in the Imperial Cult. (Kyne is in fact the de facto head of the Nord pantheon.) The Nords are perplexed and disturbed by the Imperial Cult’s focus on the Dragon God – they regard this as a fundamental misunderstanding of the universe, and one likely to cause disaster in the end. (Which fits perfectly with the pessimistic Nord view of the world in general – things are likely to turn out badly, and it will probably be caused by some foreigner.) Lucky for the world that the Nords are so diligent about keeping Alduin asleep, while the southerners are busy trying to get his attention! Any mention of Akatosh in a Nord’s presence is likely to bring a muttered invocation to Alduin to stay asleep in response.

The Nords believe that, During the Oblivion Crisis, it was Talos (Dragonborn, Martin’s forefather) lending his aid, not Alduin.

Caim

Arcane
Yeah, I was wondering what the deal with those animal totems was in the various barrows. Thanks, MK!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom