Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Are you trying to make Morrowind look like a mobile phone game?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Are there any overhaul mods that make this a good game - like Enderal or whatever the Enderal maker's mod was for Oblivion?

I haven't played this since it came out - and all the mods I see seem to focus on graphics. I'm looking for a gameplay overhaul that deepens the mechanics and rpg systems, and improves combat.

Thank you for any help or recommendations.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Has it no taste?
It looks less vibrant and sharp than vanilla MW, and more (but not quite) like modern games with a limited palette.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Has it no taste?
It looks less vibrant and sharp than vanilla MW, and more (but not quite) like modern games with a limited palette.

This is your idea of "vibrant and sharp" with a colorful palette?

Elder_Scrolls-Morrowind_%2528PC%2529_08.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, not more vibrant, but sharper.
I guess I should have said "properly modded", since I hardly ever played vanilla.

Anyway, I think you can make Balmora look much better.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Well, not more vibrant, but sharper.
I guess I should have said "properly modded", since I hardly ever played vanilla.

Anyway, I think you can make Balmora look much better.

Nieh.Disable DoF and the blurriness is gone. But in this case I like it because it gives it a dreamy feeling.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Nibba your game looks like some thot put an instagram filter over it.

But it doesn't. :?
Ok, I'll admit, it was missing a single ingredient.

RSBMxes.png

What I find funny is that:

- The water looks better than vanilla water, and is more colorful (so much for "dull color palette").
- The distant land is foggy, just as vanilla Morrowind.
- Everything else is vanilla: the clouds are vanilla, the colors are vanilla (.ini file), the textures and meshes are vanilla.

Apparently depth of field = Instagram, which is funny because I never see anyone complain about it in films. :cool: The only thing I can agree doesn't look that good are the darkened corners, I do need to find out how to disable that.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Pics are worthless, need to see it in movement. Vanilla Balmora looks depressing in stills but it's comfy ingame.

In movement the shader isn't that good in my opinion. The depth of field change is fairly brusque, since it's always your "aim" that determines what you are looking at, as opposed to your own (real life) eyes. But that's the beauty about mods, people can toggle it off and keep playing.

Morrowind_2018-08-30_13.15.56.606.png

Here's a similar pic taken without the DoF shader on. It makes even less of a difference than I expected. For those who want their games sharp as a blade, you can always disable Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering...

Morrowind_2018-08-30_13.20.02.361.png

If people still dislike that, then it's a matter of preferring absolute vanilla over any mods, and I'm not interested in such criticism.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I've uploaded my Concept Art Vivec Face Replacement to the Nexus.
I'm also downloading my Morrowind Styled retexture and plan to upload it to Nexus as well, if only so I can finally release some space from MediaFire and allow others to play with that mod.

Regarding the guide I was making for Morrowind: I plan to keep updating Mended Morrowind (there are a few mods I have in mind), but I don't think I will ever get around making a proper "modded" Morrowind guide. I would be much more interested in reviewing mods (in text form): while there are a lot of great mods with no issues whatsoever, some require a more in-depth look than I'm willing to give in a list of over 100 mods worth looking at.

Not to mention something I felt was lacking about my New Vegas guide was that I never mentioned mods I didn't use, and WHY I didn't use them despite them being so popular, and that's something I would love to tackle as well. But it takes too much time and work.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Very good news for us Morrowind players. UI Expansion has just been released.

It's a very good UI mod which I definitely recommend. As for me, I'm still playing fairly-vanilla Morrowind. Mods I'm using are:
Overall, what I get is:
  • HP on level up is calculated based on current stats and level as opposed to what you have been gaining so far, meaning you don't have to min-max HP anymore.
  • Scum, waterfalls, waterways, look far nicer and less out of place compared to MGE XE's water.
  • Skies and particles look better.
  • You can actually read signposts.
  • Windows glow in the dark. You can also see sunrays from the inside of buildings.
  • NPCs will refuse to service you if you carry certain illegal items or other disgusting items. You can buy an Imperial Charter to bypass the trade of illegal items.
  • Many NPCs will now let you rent beds at their establishments, like Arrille.
  • Many diseases and blight-disease inducing blight storms have been restored.
  • Gold now has weight.
  • Balmora looks closer to the concept art. It's really nice.
  • NPCs that offer travel services now have light sources (torches or lanterns) with them at night, making them easier to spot.
  • Wildlife is not aggressive anymore, with the exception of diseased and blighted creatures, the latter of which are distinguishable at a glance.
  • Equipment now has stat requirements. Depending on what mode you use, you suffer penalties when using equipment above your skills, or you cannot equip those items at all.
  • Vivec's cantons no longer have roofs.
  • Ghostfence pillars resemble their awesome concept art.
  • UI offers many quality of life improvements and some nice tooltips for ingredients.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I can't fathom why anyone would want to play with gold weight mechanic turned on.

It sounds like an annoyance but it's really cool when you can't fork over insane amounts of cash to satisfy your needs. Money becomes something to take care of and considering in your travels, as opposed to a bottomless pot of gold.

It's pretty much the reasoning behind inventory limits/weight limits in any RPG. Just taken one step further.

DraQ

Arcane
[
Here's a similar pic taken without the DoF shader on. It makes even less of a difference than I expected. For those who want their games sharp as a blade, you can always disable Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering...

Morrowind_2018-08-30_13.20.02.361.png

If people still dislike that, then it's a matter of preferring absolute vanilla over any mods, and I'm not interested in such criticism.
Now put anisotropic back on (if anything it helps make the game as sharp as DDK as it allows excessive smearing of textures when seeing them at oblique angles), remove the vignette filter, up the resolution a bit and we're talking.

I can't fathom why anyone would want to play with gold weight mechanic turned on.

It sounds like an annoyance but it's really cool when you can't fork over insane amounts of cash to satisfy your needs. Money becomes something to take care of and considering in your travels, as opposed to a bottomless pot of gold.

It's pretty much the reasoning behind inventory limits/weight limits in any RPG. Just taken one step further.
I fully agree with that and it's amazing how much gold weight, ammo weight and strict inventory limitations incline Skyrim with Requiem.

My only worry in Morrowind would be being ever able to enchant something powerful, given how much money you need to bring to enchanter for that.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My only worry in Morrowind would be being ever able to enchant something powerful, given how much money you need to bring to enchanter for that.
If the modded had any lick of sense, he would have added pay orders and stuff to help you manage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom