Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet another shitty list of games YOU SHOULD PLAY! LOL! Discuss!

http://www.listchallenges.com/1001-video-games-you-must-play-before-you-die

Take your shots.

My favourite is that Star Control 2 is absent while Star Control 3 is in the list. I'm willing to bet that the compilers didn't actually play any more than half of the games listed from before 2000, they simply cherry picked random shit to pad it out.

Stokowski

Arcane
http://www.listchallenges.com/1001-video-games-you-must-play-before-you-die

Take your shots.

My favourite is that Star Control 2 is absent while Star Control 3 is in the list. I'm willing to bet that the compilers didn't actually play any more than half of the games listed from before 2000, they simply cherry picked random shit to pad it out.
Wow. Just ... wow. It's sort of passable to begin with but by the turn of the century it's gone full derp. What a load of crap.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Yea this book is garbage, it is missing Bullet Storm, Mass Effect 3, Bioshock Infinite, and Gears of War + God of War should appear earlier in the list like around 100. But these people have no clue about games as Bioshock Infinite is the Citizen Kane of gaming with it's deep thought provoking story.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Way too many Mario, Zelda, Star Wars, and Grand Theft Auto games show up on the list.

The only Might & Magic game on the entire list is the Nintendo DS title Clash of Heroes created after the Ubi buyout? Pathetic.

Not a single Paradox Interactive game? Popamolers.

Not a single game developed by Impression Games? Just no.

Not a single Wizardry game? Retarded.

And Bejeweled made the list twice? Die.

Cadmus

Arcane
I agree with your complaints, except for
Way too many Mario, Zelda, Star Wars, and Grand Theft Auto games show up on the list.
Don't know about these Star Wars games and the GTA franchise is a guilty pleasure of mine but every single big entry in the Mario and Zelda franchises is pretty excellent, I can't see why they shouldn't be rewarded with many places in the list if the games are actually great. It's not a top 10 or even 100, with 1000 entries you have room for a lot of shit, including many games from a single series. They've filled up the beginning of the list with a shitload of games that are historically important but pretty redundant nowadays, only to miss a bunch of important and completely irreplaceable stuff from 1985 onwards, many you've already mentioned. Also, there are quite a lot of "okay" games on the list, why would it be considered a must play before you die? If mediocre games can make the list, this could go on and on to reach more than 5000 games, with a ton of generic platformers , beat 'em ups, shmups and etc.

Anyway, it's a fucking videogame list, they suck and are incomplete, the Pope is also revealed to be a christian, more news at 11.
well that would be new
so far it's always been a paedophile, deranged imbecile or a nazi

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Well that list wasn't too bad, wonder what they recommend from the seventh gen onwa-
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Virtua Fighter 5
Microsoft Flight Simulator X
God of War II
Pain
Singstar
Wii Fit
Afrika
Buzz Quiz TV
Heavy Rain
Bioshock 2
:nocountryforshitposters:

You can actually visibly track them slowly add more and more games in there just to pad the list out. Good thing they didn't actually try to explain why you should play these games before you die, that would've been even more humiliating.

No Great Name

Arcane
You can actually visibly track them slowly add more and more games in there just to pad the list out. Good thing they didn't actually try to explain why you should play these games before you die, that would've been even more humiliating.
This list comes from a book by the same name which I imagine has more of an explanation than just listing the names.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
This list comes from a book by the same name which I imagine has more of an explanation than just listing the names.
I'd honestly pay just to read them try to justify why you absolutely must play the Citizen Kanes of gaming that are Singstar, Buzz, and Wii Fit before you die.

Last edited:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My score is 120.

I wonder by what method were those games selected.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I compared to felipepepe's RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs list and 22 of them didn't show up on the 1001 list, including 6 of the Codex's top 10 (!).

Here are the missing games, together with their Codex ranking:
3. Fallout 2
5. Arcanum
6. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
8. Fallout: New Vegas
9. Gothic 2
10. Wizardry 8
12. Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mask of the Betrayer
13. Jagged Alliance 2
14. Dark Souls
15. Wizardry VII
16. Betrayal at Krondor
17. Baldur's Gate
18. Darklands
20. Ultima Underworld
21. Temple of Elemental Evil
25. Might and Magic VI
26. Gothic
27. Knights of the Chalice
28. Might and Magic IV-V World of Xeen
29. Alpha Protocol
30. Realms of Arkania 2
31. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
32. Wizardry VI
35. Daggerfall
36. Pool of Radiance
37. Might and Magic VII
37. Ultima IV
40. Icewind Dale II
40. The Witcher 2
42. Wasteland
43. Quest for Glory IV
43. Ultima V
45. Might and Magic III
47. Anachronox
47. Arx Fatalis
47. Geneforge
48. Pools of Darkness

Lemming42

Arcane
It's actually not a terrible list (not a particularly good one though) for the first half. Plenty of bizarre decisions made - starting with FFV, ignoring the superior FF1, 2 and 4 before it? Having Fallout but not Fallout 2? There were a couple of games that I was pleasantly surprised to see on the list.

The main problem with the list is that it's filled with decent-to-mediocre games, games that would be unlikely to make most people's top 100. I think they might have set the goal just a little too high with 1001. Oh, and after about 2004/2005 the list declines into total shit, but so did videogames in general so no big deal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom