Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Yooka-Laylee, Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor from ex-Rare employees

GrainWetski

Arcane
Seems like the usual set of retards are whining that a 3d platformer trying to be like a late 90s 3d platformer is like a late 90s 3d platformer? Makes sense.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
C87U6UwU0AAYqYJ.jpg:large

Ivan

Arcane
game is solid. controls are tight, graphics are pleasing to the eyes in the way Wind Waker was, music is spot on. my only pet peeve is that when entering new areas the game loves taking control of the camera to give you a visual tour of where you're supposed to go.

anyone figure these out:
063AE6BBFF6C2493AB54D49E3C2C3891CA4F898E

3801896FF4486B7ACD95F11547C04F4946DF0284

Ivan

Arcane
As someone who grew up on 3D open world platformers on the N64 (Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, Banjo 1 & 2) I've been overjoyed to see how much tighter and enjoyable the genre was carried forward by the Mario Galaxy series. Having finished Yooka-Laylee and feeling no temptation to 100% it, I can say it falls victim of retreading the flaws that are found in the classic 3D titles: too spacious and empty worlds, a camera that you will have to constantly wrestle with, and annoying unskippable cutscenes.

The game controls well, for the most part. Mini-games are present and most are awful. Thankfully getting around is quite fun, you have a number of abilities that need to be purchased to better explore the world, menaing you won't be able to see everything your first time through any of the 5 worlds.

The presentation is solid: the music is great, the art style is very palatable, animations are well done, and textures are spotty.

TLDR: Yooka-Laylee retreads the tropes of the classic N64 platformers instead of honoring them and presenting something new or interesting.

2/4

flyingjohn

Arcane

"The controls are incredible".
The controls are shit,basic movement and rolling is like trying to navigate a broken puppet.
And the mini games controls are even worse.
Also vehicle transformation controls are universally hated by even yooka laylee fanboys.
And don't get me started on the camera where if you stand still and try to circle the camera around the main character there is always a chance it will lock up in a nearby object.
Or the fact that even a basic action of looking up can lock up the camera.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I was just beginning to kind of enjoy myself when the power in my neighborhood blew out (again), causing my save file to be corrupted. I only had about two hours of progress, but that includes the bland unskippable opening cutscenes, which I can't be bothered to sit through again anytime soon. I also can't put the window in the background because that pauses the game/cutscene. The game overwrites your data constantly. With me, it was corrupted when I teleported into a world. It's disappointing that so many games are dropping manual saving as a backup system. Ideally, every PC game should have at least two different save files.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
So, "early 3d camera problems" AND "only one save file" features? Truly a combination of some the worst things possible. Also, the latter only makes sense (barely) in console games.

lightbane

Arcane
Is that the Shovel Knight? Is the company the same that made this thing? Otherwise, that's illegal if they hadn't asked for permission. It also doesn't seem to fit with the in-game style anyway, other than to make a dumb reference.

Tehdagah

Arcane

This makes no sense, he complains that the quills are scattered and hidden through the maps instead of being on sight to guide the player. Supposedly this makes exploration a bore. But why would collecting stuff that is right on your sight be more fun than searching for them on an exploration-based game? Maybe he should be less of a retard.

flyingjohn

Arcane

This makes no sense, he complains that the quills are scattered and hidden through the maps instead of being on sight to guide the player. Supposedly this makes exploration a bore. But why would collecting stuff that is right on your sight be more fun than searching for them on an exploration-based game? Maybe he should be less of a retard.

Because the game mistakes big world for level design.
It is not about fun but guiding the player in a big world toward content.Almost all rare platfomers in the past did it.

Tehdagah

Arcane

Because the game mistakes big world for level design.
It is not about fun but guiding the player in a big world toward content.Almost all rare platfomers in the past did it.

Why do you need guiding in first place?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Something something, just play A Hat in Time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom