Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You wanna know what I miss?

RandomAccount

Probably not, but I'm gonna tell you anyway. I'm a bitch like that.

1. Emeralds, Rubies, Diamonds, Sapphires, trinkets and baubles, art, yeti-skins et al.

Junk money drops that don't take up any inventory but confer a sense of wealth accumulation reward which permits the player to enter into a state of imagination whereby their adventurer has a life beyond the game, a level of post-game wealth that infers the adventurer will have benefited greatly from their pursuits.

Yes, from a gamer perspective, they have no in-game use beyond selling them to a trader, but from an imagination roleplay perspective, when you want to roleplay an 'in it just for the cash' character, I find it imperative that the ending should permit the character to be pictured in the mind of the player as literally swimming in it like a gold dragon. And the game should offer the player somewhere to stash all this loot while they adventure, preferably in a 'reality' type environment, perhaps with an Iron Golem or equivalent guard, or whatever.

What both Obsidian and Bioware have forgotten in their drive to make character communication more of a thing is to forget other equally immersive elements of roleplay. It's all very well having the option to choose the 'selfish, for the money' verbal conversation choice from the dialogue wheel, but if there's nothing else in the game which backs up that imagination then it's a weaker roleplay choice than either saving the world or just being evil for the lols of being evil.

You see these elements in games sometimes, but it's never expected for the player to hoard these items. My natural instinct is to hoard these items, but the games never offer me a roleplay where hoarding them is either understandable or relevant to my immersion.

2. Summoned/Controlled small army.

When I used to pen and paper I used to abuse the the control spells to make certain control spells permanent. When I came to cRPGs I used to love abusing the necromancing/cleric/druid spells so that, in each battle, I was more of a back seat commander of troops than an absurdly overpowered adventurer. When I play a lot of modern RPGs it seems that the term 'roflstomp, requires a nerf' bandwagon has deemed this approach to roleplaying a no-go area.

In my p&p days I'd have in tow a Sabre-Toothed Tiger, a Unicorn, a Pegasus, some Satyrs, loads of Wolves, some dogs, and a loads of other alternatives and variations. It wasn't King's Bounty or Heroes of Might and Magic style, the numbers weren't insane, but it was just enough to feel thoroughly awesome while still providing a steep challenge should one encounter a Dragon or hoard of Dark Elves or whatever.

I'm not a great fan of Diablo, I'm not a great aRPGer (I do get the genre and find myself more tempted to follow that RPG path as the regular big houses get more and more bogged down with inane +10 to banality friendship systems) but one thing I do most definitely notice whenever I find myself reading a Diablo thread is that there's always that guy who lavishes wonderful memories on his time roflstomping with a necromancer and his small army of doom.

And this is another area where I feel let down by most cRPGs. Wouldn't the Ranger be so much more of a 'role' class if, throughout a game, the guy could tame and train a small army of animals. Instead we just get druids summoning one animal or a small pack of useless animals. Well, I have news for you, animals don't require magic to be tamed and trained, they require skill. There's no need for the Druid to hog what should be an awesome Ranger trait.

So, if I want to roleplay an enigamtic leader, I don't want to be given nothing but 'loser' companions and the odd summons, I want to roleplay a frightening 'posse' of pure dictatorship - a small army of darkness to any would be antagonist. I want my screen full to the brim of front-line mashing goodness. Give me one Necromancer and one Ranger in this mold and I'll offer you many a thoroughly delighted Rpger.

Ah, but what about making the game so easy it's pointless? Well the Ranger doesn't summon the animals, they are a finite resource as dictated by the game world, they would require as much equal management as any other finite resource, and this is where the R of RPG comes into play - one would need to actually 'care' for one's animals survival, apportion finite healing resources to them, and, as with the 'in it for the loot' RPGing, this character would have an end-game goal to open a farm or a zoo or some kind of environmental agenda or whatever.

3. Spells as a finite resource.

So many arguments about how best to allocate Mage (or whatever) spells. Should it be rest and recoup, permanent, mana or what?

Well, I thought they got it pretty much right with Wands. Make spells a finite resource. Make Mages the archaeologist R in RPG. Magic items can produce X number of spells before being depleted, the better the spellcaster, the higher level of magic item he can manipulate.

This allows the game so much more room for the fun of interesting objects combined with excuses to impart game-law while at the same time forcing the player to, once again, deal with the concept of 'finite resources'. And, like the previous two points, give the player an R in RPG sense that this character has a life beyond the end-game - as a world renown owner and curator of powerful ancient artifacts. He collects the artifacts by nature and has a desire not to deplete them all because he might need them later in his life.

TL:DR - getting back to basics to solve some persistent modern RPG irritations from my own perspective drawn from both my and other's experience over many years of playing and foruming.

I'd be delighted to know what others feel about such ramblings, either positive or hostile or whatever. I'm genuinely interested to know how the elements above have slowly vanished in favour of what I consider to be inferior RPG concepts.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
1. Emeralds, Rubies, Diamonds, Sapphires, trinkets and baubles, art, yeti-skins et al.
The IE games were good in this regard. It's funny how all the precious and semiprecious stones were all fully identified to the player, as if he was playing as a an adventuring gemologist.

However, the games' supply and demand system annoyed me: the price decreased if the merchant already owned the item and every time you sold him a batch of that item, the price would decrease until it reached 1 gp. Thus, I tended so sell things in batches. This worked fine for gemstones, since they were stackable, but as for rings and yeti pelts... This was made worse by the fact that that IWD had fewer merchants, so long story short, I once sold 16 yeti pelts in one transaction. Don't get me started on ankheg shells...

Yes, I tend to be a hoarder.

But I agree that adding some loot variety can help flesh out a setting. This is particularly true with in-game flavor books.

2. Summoned/Controlled small army.
I think that the main reason for nerfing minions is due to balance considerations and the role's innate passivity. This is a gross simplification, but think of role playing a wealthy merchant who hires adventurers to
I liked Nox's conjurer class (a druid/ranger hybrid): using the summoned menagerie as meatshields while using ranged attacks (so that I felt I contributed personally to combat).

3. Spells as a finite resource.
The HoMM TBS games had spell-points as a limited resource, regenerating just 1 point per day when not ending the turn in a castle with a Mage's Guild. Definitely prevented players from spamming spells for trivial battles.

Nox's wizard class had slowly regenerating mana, so in a battle, your best bet was to go to a mana stone and quickly replenish mana. The catch is that mana stones also replenish slowly, so the player had to keep track of nearby mana stones.

Underrail also features a "limited spell-point" system, since the psi-replenishing items are expensive and there is no psi regeneration in the game's current state.

The IE games were good in this regard. It's funny how all the precious and semiprecious stones were all fully identified to the player, as if he was playing as a an adventuring gemologist.

However, the games' supply and demand system annoyed me: the price decreased if the merchant already owned the item and every time you sold him a batch of that item, the price would decrease until it reached 1 gp. Thus, I tended so sell things in batches. This worked fine for gemstones, since they were stackable, but as for rings and yeti pelts... This was made worse by the fact that that IWD had fewer merchants, so long story short, I once sold 16 yeti pelts in one transaction. Don't get me started on ankheg shells...

I actually liked this system of supply and demand, although it arguably was too simple. In far too many RPGs, economy is too easily broken and this was at least an attempt to keep it sane.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Oh yes, I'm not complaining about supply and demand pricing, but rather the way it was implemented. The problem is that the merchants' inventories never change, so the prices always go down once you sell a merchant an item*. Thus, if I wanted to sell those bandits' long swords, I would wait until each character was carrying a couple of them, then sell them all in a single transaction. Not that the price per item decreased each time if I sold them individually, but only once when sold as a group,

Mount&Blade did a much better job at modeling a economy, but that's because it was an actual gameplay feature and playing as a merchant is a viable occupation.

*technically, the prices would increase if I pickpocketed items from a merchant, but I disliked this because there was too high a chance everybody in the room would go hostile and I do my best to avoid save-scumming. Also, I found pickpocket kind of useless compared to find traps, lockpick and hide in shadows, so I usually never increased it.

Stokowski

Arcane

Yup. I get this. I once developed a CEP-compatible hakpak for Neverwinter Nights that replaced the patheticly limited (and mis-valued) gems in the default palette with over 40 correctly valued and icon-ised gems (mixing real world with FR staples), along with a number of code scripts for appropriate gem generation in loot.

(I may be part Dwarf.)

Dorateen

Arcane
In the Unearthed Arcana supplement, where it talked about the Dwarven pantheon, followers of Dumathoin are said to often carry around a symbolic gemstone in their pocket. Once I started playing cRPGs that had graphical representation of singular items, I would always take one green gem, preferably an emerald as soon as one was available, and keep it in a permanent inventory slot. The Infinity Engine games were great for this, but there were also collectible stones before in Dark Sun.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Probably not, but I'm gonna tell you anyway. I'm a bitch like that.

Remember the box with valuables from Dungeon Master 2? It was glorious.

Shadenuat

Arcane

screenshot792-2.gif

THE Gem

the-legend-of-kyrandia-fable-and-fiends-208.jpg

*gasp*

eb63faf9fb37c27354d2d404301b9d2efd710882.jpg

those resources, they're like candies
I want eat them so much

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

THE Gem

*gasp*

those resources, they're like candies
I want eat them so much
Those screenshots are the sexiest thing I've seen this entire week.

Melcar

Arcane
Yeah, I also liked to carry around shinny rocks so I can sell latter. It was fun and added variety. "Why did this guy I just killed have a bunch of jade rings on him"?
Never liked summons that much myself, but it was a fun distraction. I often ended up breaking encounters do to it though.
And yes, finite spell resources. Makes spellcaster classes a lot more fun to play, even when you get to high levels.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Kyrandia was game about gems. You go collect gems and mix gems, and solve puzzles with gems
and you get rewarded
with

more

GEMS

Gulnar

Scholar
I miss summoning things too.
Too bad Sacrifice was such a clunky game that nobody wanted to make a sequel/spiritual sequel of it.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
What about gems in Might & Magic?
Up to World of Xeen (that's M&M IV and V) they are an pretty damn important resource to cast spells with as well as currency to buy skills, gain temporary stats and currency to get hirelings.

EDIT: the subject...

Last edited:

RandomAccount

Some really great screenies here, and I agree with a lot of what's been said.

Let's see if I have any of my old screenies still knocking around...

*logs into photobucket for the first time in years*

PIC_0064_zps3dd1f2ae.jpg

OWWWWWWWWW MINE EYYYYYYESSSS!

(a photo rather than a screenie I'm afraid)

The central character is the Player Character, the other four are summons - much fun! (as can be attested by the location of all the hostile arrows...) I don't honestly get the whole 'summons make you too passive' argument. Managing summons is a skill far more detailed than just button mashing a two handed sword character.

Cadmus

Arcane
I actually like it when my summons are just a bunch of retards that swarm the enemy and I don't have to worry about them and if they die I summon them again. I liked the summons in D:OS because they could be easily controlled, I just wish there was no summon limit :)

As soon as I have to micromanage some incredibly valuable companion, or even worse, can't (the fucking dog in Fallout) I get pissed. In Fallout I just let them die and pretend that that's how the story went.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom