Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your favorite grinding game?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Torchlight 2? Diablo 3? Path of Exile?

Which one is better to waste your life away?

AMG

Arbiter
If you just want to just mindlessly mash shit and see numbers go up then Diablo 3.
If you want to first meticulously plan out every detail of your character and spend two evenings on spreadsheets, and then mindlessly mash shit then Path of Exile by far. But you'd have to wait till like mid August if not later, because the game is getting its biggest expansion ever and lots of stuff will change.

Mind you, in Diablo 3 everything you will need just drops for you and you bascially can't trade. In PoE you will have to grind and trade to make money to be able to buy key items for your build, unless you play something cheap (and most likely boring). Makes the grind more frustrating but also more rewarding, so pick your poison.

Torchlight 2 is just garbage.
Never tried Grim Dawn, but it looks boring to me.

Last edited:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
While I'm not into grinding per se, I guess that strangely enough the game in which I did the most "grinding" would be the original X-Com. The fact that it's my favourite game obviously plays a part, but I do confess that on my second playthrough, I totally delayed the trip to Cydonia and played for months, if not years (game time) just for the feel of controlling the skies and makng my uber soldiers even more uber. I remember doing things like making my Ufopedia complete (both live and dead files for each alien species) which took quite some time (try to bring back a live cyberdisk :argh:) and which were real good excuses for "grinding".

Last edited:

Citizen

I'm not really into grinding, so i always got bored in this kind of games and drop them after few hours. The only one i have finished is Sacred, the game's got a nice visual style and gameplay felt very satisfying, also the skill system and classes were pretty interesting, but the game's buggy and unbalanced as hell. And for the games you mentioned - diablo 3 is boring shit with retarded warcrafty(tm) visual style, and torchlight is somewhat less boring, but laughably easy and even more ugly.

Sentinel

Arcane
I still adore Diablo 2 and I'd rank it no1 even if I don't consider it a "grinding game", but for more modern stuff you have Path of Exile, Titan Quest and Grim Dawn. All 3 of these are excellent, with Titan Quest/Grim Dawn being more Diablo-like and Path of Exile taking a few design liberties. One thing about PoE though is that there's no way to make your character look good (or wear pants, unless you play a specific class) unless you want to spend 40€ on an armor set from the store.

i grew just too bored of diablo 2, i spent ages on it, i doubt i'll ever play it again.
if x-com is a valid choice, i'd like to add simcity 4.
otherwise at the moment i'm throwing my old age away with warframe, star conflict and eternal card game.

Alkarl

Learned
I reach for Sacred 2 when I need my fix. Better than Diablo 3 imo. You at least have more agency in your character build, but Diablo 3 isn't super terrible if you just wanna switch off. Repetitive and long winding paths may kind of put you off after a bit though.

RPK

Scholar
diablo II for me. although I'm really enjoying grinding through the skill points and training levels as i replay might and magic 6 again lately

was super disappointed in diablo III i might add

Kitchen Utensil

Learning and perfecting shmup stages feels like grinding at it's best to me.
When I play something like Diablo I fall asleep nowadays.

Efe

Erudite
if you want to grind check out warframe. it's like they designed grind first and game second

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The Age of Wonders series. It's usually preferable to grind your heroes to level 15-20 before undertaking your mission proper.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Mount and Blade

Slave hunting with a jousting lance while leveling up a bunch of armored knights and vikings

Oh and once you know how to properly use each weapons you can easily win tournaments after betting a lot on yourself and get lots of money and then use it for buying properties on towns

mbv123

Arbiter
Mount and Blade

Slave hunting with a jousting lance while leveling up a bunch of armored knights and vikings

Oh and once you know how to properly use each weapons you can easily win tournaments after betting a lot on yourself and get lots of money and then use it for buying properties on towns
My favorite is getting quests from lords to collect taxes from cities then running away with the cash to the next realm and spending it all on a nice armor set

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I enjoy Diablo 3 every few months, but can't play it longer than a few weeks without getting burned out. It's pretty fun especially with friends who play when you can PL to 70 in an hour and immediately start grinding rifts to work on a specific set. Feels like you actually get a good pay off for your grinding fairly quickly, so it feels satisfying.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been playing a randomly generated Picross game called InfiniPicross. It's wearing a little thin at this point though. I usually default back to Torchlight 2 and slapping bandits around in M&B Warband

I only really do this when listening to a podcast or something and I just want something mindless to do

cowking

Scholar
i grew just too bored of diablo 2, i spent ages on it, i doubt i'll ever play it again.

You should try mods, especially Median XL - Ultimative. Although if you want to play on realm I'd wait for the incoming patch since it's pretty dead right before reset.

For grinding I think my all time favorite was Aion 1.5 where your brain transcended from pain to pleasure as you ran fire temple hundreds of times for the 0.0001 chance to get your extending pvp class weapon with other drops being garbage. I still miss that game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom