Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Your favorite post 2010 AAA games? A coming out thread.

bonescraper

Post your favorite AAA games made in this decade so far. By AAA i mean games released on PC by one of the major publishers: Actishitton, Electronic Farts, Ubishit, Squeemish, Crapcom, Bethpizda etc. you know, the evil people.

Big budgets, big marketing campaigns, high production values, that's what counts here. Try to keep it interesting, shit like Derp Souls isn't welcome in this thread. Tell us why you LIKED them.

I'll start, obviously.

- Dishonored - Really well designed game where game mechanics and gameplay take priority. A Thief spiritual successor mixed with a handful of supernatural abilities. Can be played in multiple ways. Great level design and art direction. Hell, it even got decent DLC.

- Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Another well designed game. Maybe not as good as the original, but comes pretty close. It even managed to surpass the 2000 classic in some ways. 1) It has pretty decent dialogue system 2) It's grounded in some real, actual science, no more drone-nanofactory-in-your-head nonsense. I also liked the music and overall art direction, fucking Hengsha!

- XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within - A remake of a classic tactical game that dares to be different, and succeeds. To my surprise, i enjoyed it more than Xenonauts. It just plays good in my opinion, more like a tabletop game. I won't lie, i had a lot of fun playing it, even more so with the expansion. And i'm not talking here about the moded version.

GrainWetski

Arcane
"dares to be different"

Yeah, very daring to dumb the game down for a wider audience. That isn't the norm.

Dragon's Dogma. Because it has weighty combat and climbing on big monsters is fun.

I can't think of any other AAA game that sticks in my mind with your criteria.

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
Batman: Arkham Asylum - Finally, a proper superhero game with good fighting, atmosphere.

Batman: Arkham City - The big open area and improved combat made it better than the previous one and there are more things to do.

Batman: Arkham Origins - Even bigger open area, even more things to do. Most interesting story so far. Christmas theme was a good choice. Best suit so far. Batcave.

DiRT 2 - good atmosphere, satisfying driving

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - a good game after the terrible Prince of Persia 2008 reboot. You can freeze water then jump on it. It was a failure thanks to the Ubisoft marketing team.

Alpha Protocol - Your choices matter unlike in bioware games. Spy, secret agent, modern time themed RPG.

Maschtervoz

Learned
I really liked DXHR's art direction and dialogue system too. It had a solid aesthetic vision as its foundation and did a great job exploiting its potential. I even liked the prominent use of yellow. Piss filter jokes aside, it was refreshing to see an AAA game use color in other ways than blue and orange cover art. They also managed to set up some sweet scenes that make the most out of the visual style and music, like Zhao's penthouse, or entering Adam's apartment for the first time.

Sure, the game has a lot of flaws too and it's obviously weaker than the original DX. Generally low difficulty, retarded majestic cinematic takedown only melee, those fucking boss fights, the three buttons ending, and so on. I also thought Eliza Cassan had a lot of underused potential and deserved more screen time. I mean, in a game with a plot revolving around conspiracies, misinformation, everyone lies and stuff like that, an AI designed to control the flow of information to the public has a lot to bring to the table in terms of reflecting the core narrative themes.

Perkel

Arcane
Huh ? New Vegas is considered AAA game.
Skyrim for mods (requiem)

that is about it

edit:

forgot. Mosnter hunter 3rd on PSP but i don't know if it is 2010+

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dishonored: amazingly close to the LGS formula, it is a wonder how they got it past corporate. Here is a game that has a bold vision, a distinct look, mostly excellent level design, and lets you tackle your challenges in a lot of different ways. Surprisingly, the DLC actually contains superb missions that build on the basic campaign and develop an interesting parallel story with good mechanical updates.

DX: Human Relations: a surprisingly enjoyable cyberyellow game. It is best when it creates a good-looking future world populated by interesting characters, and lets you explore it as a corporate cybermerc. It lacks that special DX combination of unashamed pulp and coffeeshop philosophising, and the game experience is less deep/organic, but for a modern title, it is quite enjoyable.

That's about it.

It's been pretty bad for AAA since 2010. The only decent AAA games these days are pretty much Rockstar's open world games, just for slowly pushing games toward massive virtual reality worlds, even if the gameplay could be a lot better in a lot of ways. But RDR never made it to PC, GTA IV came out before 2010, and GTAV still hasn't come to PC, so nothing there. Everything else is pretty much shit. Didn't New Vegas come out in 09-10? If so, it wouldn't be post 2010/this decade. I am just so glad there is a thriving non-mainstream game industry nowadays, with indies and Kickstarter and all that jazz, otherwise I might have had to give up gaming altogether.

Gozma

Arcane
I liked new XCOM a fair bit as it came out, and as I thought at the time it had a really sincerely Good Game buried in it trying to claw its way out that the Long War mod has uncovered

Dead Money in New Vegas was great. The main game was pretty good in the areas they expect you to pass through to get to Vegas and in the part where you deal with Chandler from Friends. The game falls apart in the second half, but hey the second half of FO isn't as good as getting the water chip so it's tradition.

Dark Souls (both of 'em), which is as AAA as New Vegas and XCOM

I don't think I actually have been into any truly no question AAA like an Assassin's Creed or something like that

TripJack

Hedonist
rayman origins - good art, good music, good difficulty, good bro-op

didn't we have this same thread last month

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dragon's Dogma is an action-fantasy game done right, and one of the very few games that has made the usual cliche variety of large D&D monsters feel unique, threatening, and a thrill to take down. While it suffers a bit from repetitive encounters with the aforementioned, it's still heads and shoulders above the higher-budgeted and blowhard Dragon Age stuff, not only in enemy variety visually, but in enemy variety mechanically. A dragon in Dragon's Dogma is something that has the magic to fuck your party over, it tosses you around, and you can get carried into the air and dropped to death by it - contrast that to Dragon Age's they stand there and chomp. It's the same with their other monsters - ogres rumble the ground and actually make it harder to run up to them when they stomp. Griffons buffet you with their wings. Their fantasy monsters feel distinct and that they're something more than a giant version of a regular monster with a fat HP bar and the occasional knockback move.

That's not even getting into the fun of the variant classes. Dragon's Dogma is the type of game D&D should be trying to branch into, second to turn-based properties (but who are we kidding? More boring hack 'n' slashes, go!)

Assassin's Creed IV contain elements that could be wonderfully expanded upon, and it oozed with the right type of atmosphere for the game it was; a nice, small step away from the boring formula. Not large enough of one, sadly, and the usual Ubisoft dreck clings to and eventually drags the experience down after a while, but it leaves me with a shred of hope that, perhaps, the sailing, pirating and exploration actiony aspect of it will be picked up by another game, because of ACIV's popularity.

Probably not, though.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Post-2010? I do not have much... I liked these:

Alan Wake (2012 PC release) - narratively a spiritual successor to Max Payne 1&2, gameplay-wise somewhat simplistic, but I loved the writing in this one so much that I even played standalone DLC (American Nightmare).

Bulletstorm (2011) - fun gameplay, amusing dialogue and a colorful post-apocalypse setting. I liked it much more than the often praised Painkiller from the same devs.

Brutal Legend (2013 PC release) - great setting, soundtrack and voice acting, although the writing was somewhat disappointing in terms of humour (does not hold a candle to Psychonauts). I also liked the H&S/RTS combo gameplay, but it seems I am quite alone in this.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (2014) - enjoyable open world parkour/combat game in which you will develop a grudge against certain computer orcs. The game is too short to fully take advantage its fabled Nemesis system (which could have been more devloped too), but if it was any longer, it would outstay its welcome, as the gameplay is all about killing orcs in various ways, which gets repetitive.

Spec Ops: The Line (2012) - I liked parts of it. The gameplay was pretty average at first and tiresome towards the end, but the narrative was pretty ambitious as far as videogames go (although it would have worked better if there was less railroading).

-------------------

The only other ones I really played were Skyrim and Max Payne 3, but I did not like those. I have dabbled in a few more, but not long enough to form an opinion.

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dragensang 2, FNV, Skyrim with Requiem; its hard to find games who are both RPGs and AAA coming after this date; from those only the former is any good when playing in vanilla form though so its all about naked mods who often fix Bethpizda shyte.

Maschtervoz

Learned
Dead Money in New Vegas was great. The main game was pretty good in the areas they expect you to pass through to get to Vegas and in the part where you deal with Chandler from Friends. The game falls apart in the second half, but hey the second half of FO isn't as good as getting the water chip so it's tradition.

Dead Money was my favorite part of NV. It was Obsidian playing to their strengths making a tight character driven storyfag adventure rather than a Bethesdian sandbox and it shows. I think it was their second best writing after MotB, really liked how well everything tied into the theme of obsession: the reason the Madre was built and then doomed, the driving force behind all characters, how in order for them to stay alive, the player has to help them overcome it. Talking about the characters, all were strong, but Dog/God was pretty damn great, my favorite character in the whole game.

Storyfag bullshit aside, even the gameplay felt less like a chore than NV usually did. It had a small number of enemies. but they called for different approaches. Ghostmen and limb damage, also different types having particular attack patterns, throwing spears, leaping at you, throwing bombs, etc. Holograms that had to be evaded rather than faced directly. Combined with the limited resources and damaging environment, these made the beyond shit F3 engine combat a lot more bearable.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Bulletstorm - I liked the combat and weapons, there was something "1990's" about this game, it was refreshing in the age of military popamolers. There was still a lot of shitty modern desing in it, sucks that they didn't have the balls to make it more like an old fpp game.

The Twitcher 2
- Storyfaggotry and atmosphere.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - There is some shitty design here but the overall gameplay of exploring locations and killing enemies in various ways is fun. Cool cyberpunk story and atmosphere.

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - Run and gun, some open areas, your characters can turn into vechicles, set on an alien planet (not a fan of Transformers but I'm sick of all these modern normalfag-friendly settings for shooters). I liked the first game better but it came out in 2010.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance -
Fast paced sword-slashing combat, cool bossfights and edgy music.

Honorable mention:
XCOM - it's X-com lite. But I think a remake shouldn't be a simplyfied version of the original, so this game besides fun also gave me some butthurt.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom